Check out this time slip

-
I'm not a fan of true start. The person who has more in their car/faster car should get something for the deal. It is a competition after all!

Well my lost 4th round but check out Vics 6th round that he just won.

8E540763-B1CD-4757-9CAF-7CA5B20E1661.png

I like true start. It takes the wallet out of the equation.
it’s just, to me, a natural evolution of what bracket racing is supposed to be about.bout
Sadly about 1/2 of Stock is Rich Old Guys with $250,000.00
store bought and professionally prepared New Cars. They run
7s to 9s in 1/4 and feature timers/computer controled/antispin controls/roller camshafts.
They run identical runs all day long with less than a hundred. The last thing
they need is any other advantage like they get leaving last and having won before
they start. What used to be Sportsman Racing for regular ordinary people is rapidly
becoming a Game for Multi/Multi Millionaires where money is absolutely no Object to
them!

You could teach a Monkey to drive one of the new cars competitively in 1/2 an hour.
However, if anything out of the ordinary or unexpected happens, Chances are the Monkey would get
killed @ 170 MPH and probably kill me to in my 105 MPH wagon! They should not be in Stock at All!
They are NOT production built and available cars but purpose built for the select few. They rules used to
state Street legal and Showroom available with 500 built.

But like Cindy Loper sang in the old days = Money changes Everything!

I'm not a fan of true start. The person who has more in their car/faster car should get something for the deal. It is a competition after all!
I'm just an old-school racer who should have been born about 10 years earlier. Footbrake racer - just like how racing began. Me against you and my car against yours. NO electronics...just mash the pedal and go. Just like the old days.

Back in the 80's, I ran at the top of the bracket and was vulnerable to the 1st red-light rule. Raced that way for years until I finally built more motor and dropped in the lower half of the bracket. Still got chased by many but I finally wasn't always subject to the first red-light rule.

Fast forward 30 years and I still feel the same way. I just can't separate letting go of a button and having an air shifter shift from a video game. Yes, there's still the car and traction and all the mechanical but I'm still not a fan of that...at least for me. For others that like it, so be it. Just not my cup of tea.

BUT...will be moving to central Florida and suspect the only Sportsman bracket class will be 12 flat and slower (here in Michigan, it goes down to 10.50...perfect!!). Then I have another dilemma for the avatar...slow it down to 12 flat or do the unthinkable.... (I'm like the pirate in Buffet's song "A pirate looks back at 40" - my occupation doesn't exist anymore!!)

I make multiple restrictor plates for our 10 second Valiants for
the 11.50 Sportman class out here in the West and for the 10.90
Superstreet. However, we seldom run local brackets anymore.

There used to be a company called "Adjust A Plate" or something like that,
but I have not heard of them for years. Came with a bunch of quick change plates
that did not require the carb to be removed.

Anyone know if they still exist = They did not answer my inquiry.

Last edited:
I spent a lot of money for an electric Biondo throttle stop and on my first pass with it at an IHRA 10.90 division race I tore the center out of my powerglide flex plate. The next year IHRA went all brackets. So it sits on a shelf.

The plates we use are pretty consistent (If you can read a weather station)
and very easy on the running gear. Sometimes we use only 2 and high gear
on our torqueflites (Better have a good converter with antiballoon plate if you
do it every week).
I have a dedicated Indy Manifold/Stop/Dominator sitting on the shelf myself.

I have a friend who races at the bottom of sportsman class (7.50 or slower)
On cold nights when he is in danger of going too fast, he sticks a work glove under his gas pedal!

-
Back