Chevy Sleeper

-

jabdusty57

Reaction score
Who would think a car like this 4-door sedan would have a 6.2 Liter, 415 HP Corvette engine in it. 2014 Chevrolet SS. This is getting ridiculous.

Attachments

• chevrolet%20ss%20660%202014.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 326
Give a year or two and watch a supercharged version will be available.
Also, you've never heard of a Pontiac G8 GXP? It's basically the same car with a different shell. Hell even one of the top execs said "the G8 design was just to good to waste" when pontiac closed its doors.
That said, this car was fielded to the police first and known as the Chevorlet Police Pursuit Vehicle (or PPV for short). I've seen two of them around my area one with the 6.0 motor and the other with the 6.2 (actually got to see the 6.2 up close and under the hood, the cop loved the car and had no problem showing me it and telling me how well it handled compared to the old crown Vic and dodge charger he drove for 2 years).

And just to think; if it were Chrysler releasing it, it would be called the "Roadrunner," and would feature a very economical 1.2l 3-cylinder and be slow as ****. Also, 4-door hatch or wagon and ugly as ****, looking NOTHING like any generation of Roadrunner...

'Cuz that's how Gechrysleschutzen rolls!

- CK

And just to think; if it were Chrysler releasing it, it would be called the "Roadrunner," and would feature a very economical 1.2l 3-cylinder and be slow as ****. Also, 4-door hatch or wagon and ugly as ****, looking NOTHING like any generation of Roadrunner...

- CK

Ain't that the truth!

there's that "corvette engine" bullshit being thrown around again like it's supposed to impress someone.

because 0-60 in 5 seconds while getting mid 20s on the freeway and handling waaaay better than any of our cars did from the factory is something to sneer at.... And why shouldn't it? Generally Corvettes have had some of the best American V8s to date. The LT1, LT5, LS3, LS7, LS9. All those are very good engines that have all been standard in the corvette at one point or another. To anyone who says that a vette engine is nothing special, I say Why not? Why isn't it special? Is it that it's such a great base that even the little 4.8s with only 290 cid can make 1200 horses with the stock bottom end and the proper supporting hardware up top and still hold together fairly well? Is it that the engine is soo damn cheap and prolific every where that you can find them in the junkyard for about $700 all day long? Is it that the aftermarket support for them is so great that you can build a everything from a little 302 with 250 hp all the way to a 454 monster that makes 900 on racing fuel using brand new parts for everything under the sun on either engine? The ignorance in the previous post is that of someone who doesn't really seem to care about the fact that GM is helping keep the horsepower wars going by producing cars that are absolutely silly to anyone but a car guy who likes weird things. I give you the Cadillac CTS-V station wagon, with 556 horses and a 6 speed manual transmission. Or, in this case, the spiritual successor to the 94-96 Impala SSs even though it's guaranteed to be a niche product. Or the Cobalt SS of the late 00s. Probably GM's Best SS car until the Camaro. That Corvette motor is doing more for helping keep the gearhead industry alive than what Chrysler is doing recently. If they unlocked the ECU for the new hemi, maybe they too could experience a surge in people driving Dodge's and Chryslers in racing.

Engine 6.2L/415-hp*/415-lb-ft* OHV 16-valve V-8
Transmission 6-speed manual
Curb weight (f/r dist) 3969 lb (52/48%)
Wheelbase 114.8 in
Length x width x height 196.1 x 74.8 x 57.7 in
0-60 mph 4.5 sec
Quarter mile 13.0 sec @ 109.6 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph 117 ft
Lateral acceleration 0.90 g (avg)
MT Figure Eight 26.4 sec @ 0.70 g (avg)

now, granted those are the specs for the 09 G8 GXP, but it's essentially the same car. If I seem to recall correctly, the 2012 Charger SRT8 a tiny bit better, even the newest one with another 55 horses and about 3 more years of research.

ENGINE 6.4L/470-hp/470-lb-ft OHV 16-valve V-8
TRANSMISSION 5-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST) 4360 lb (54/46%)
WHEELBASE 120.2 in.
LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT 200.3 x 74.2 x 58.3 in
0-60 MPH 4.3 sec
QUARTER MILE 12.8 sec @ 115.5 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 112 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.89 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 25.8 sec @ 0.72 g (avg)

I'd rather have the new Roadrunner; no frills no bullshit, 440 big block with a 6-pack carb setup, Hurst shifter option, in B7 blue with minimal graphics package......

Oh wait, it's not 1969......... :crybaby:

- CK

Like what the new technology brings ,performance wise. I am too damn cheap,to spend 30 to 40 k on a automobile....

Nice disclaimer......heres mine and you only get one...If you use the f word I'll ban your ***....several reported post concerning you I do not give infractions I ban people...stay away from the thin ice and you'll be fine we have young ladies and gentlemen abord this site and you conduct yourself accordingly http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=177035

- CK

there's that "corvette engine" bullshit being thrown around again like it's supposed to impress someone.

A 415HP (450+ lb/ft) Sedan in this day and age IS impressive. .

In my opinion that IS a "factory hotrod", just like the SRT8 Chargers are. What's not to like? :dontknow:

the reason a 'corvette engine" in another car doesn't inpress me, is that they're taking an engine out of a car that I can already beat and putting it in a slower car.

Forgive me for not gushing about the brilliance of this whole scheme lol.

...but the GXP that tried to race me did look pretty nice as it got smaller in my mirror. And the Cobalt SS? Don't make me laugh.

the reason a 'corvette engine" in another car doesn't inpress me, is that they're taking an engine out of a car that I can already beat and putting it in a slower car.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong stand point. It's not about "beating". It's about the state of the modern car manufacturer, and the technology to build this type of modern muscle car while still meeting the absolutely ridiculous government safety and fuel economy mandates and epa requirements requirements.

95teetee said:
Forgive me for not gushing about the brilliance of this whole scheme

You are forgiven. Go in piece.

95teetee said:

Precisely.

...but the GXP that tried to race me did look pretty nice as it got smaller in my mirror. And the Cobalt SS? Don't make me laugh.

Sorry, I am not into street racing, at all, nor do I condone it.

95teetee said:
Don't make me laugh.

Again, precisely.

They let these cars in nascar before they was offered to the public I guess
the rules changed, at least it is a rear wheel drive car.. still in my eyes not eligible
to race till next year.......

They let these cars in nascar before they was offered to the public I guess
the rules changed, at least it is a rear wheel drive car.. still in my eyes not eligible
to race till next year.......

You're right! NASCAR has always been about Chevy, though, and as I recall over the last 15 years, or so, not above bending the rules in their favor.

You're right! NASCAR has always been about Chevy, though, and as I recall over the last 15 years, or so, not above bending the rules in their favor.
So true, When Dodge came back to nascar The Charger showed up with a winning front nose that was sold to the puplic before they hit the track, chevy got to change there front nose on there car :violent1::violent1::violent1: They have bent a few and I say broke one with this new SS car!! I need to get on twitter (I have never been on it) and ask this question to them on twitter..... I would like to have a explanation :dontknow:

You might recall the "hemi ban" from the late 60's or early 70's. Both MoPar and Ford had viable hemi race engines, and as a result were shutting the GM cars out of "Victory Lane".
While GM did, in fact, develop a Hemi head engine, there were a number of issues, not the least of which were patent infringements and reliability concerns. As a result, NASCAR banned hemispherical head engines. When Dodge came back into the fold last time around, the were forced to design a new cylinder head that was much closer to the GM/Chevy design head, than that of an LA or Magnum small block.

Just another of those little things that NASCAR has done to support one of it's benefactors.

Screw NASCAR. I'd rather watch road racing! At least the Rolex series uses modded production car (cages, safety glass, etc).

Who would think a car like this 4-door sedan would have a 6.2 Liter, 415 HP Corvette engine in it. 2014 Chevrolet SS. This is getting ridiculous.

Holy test drive!

:burnout:

Whats not to like about a 12 second 4 door that gets 20 plus mpg.

why are chevy guys in a MOPAR forum?

I like all kinds of cars. Then you'll hate the fact I owned a 2002 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec 2 Nür edition! That car had more balls and handled better then the vast majority of car I've drive since (and its been a LOT). Was it stock, nope but a 1000hp to the wheels and it daily driveable (though I only took it out on nice days). Everytime I parked it somewhere it would draw a crowd, hell driving down the freeway no matter how fast or slow people would follow behind me in their diced out cars. I once got bored, was doing 65mph and look in my rearview/side mirrors in a curve and saw at least 18 "flashly" imports behind me. So I moved all the way over to the slow lane and dropped the speed to 50 mph. Guess what, EVERYONE of them followed me for over 15 miles. None of them said a thing about it though I know they were annoyed by how "fast" I was going :twisted:
So many people wanted to touch, drive and take pictures of it (in various states on undress next to my car). I could go on but you get the idea. So basically a good car is a good car. Though from what I've seen of the SS so, I think the G8 is better, hell I'd take a G8 GXP other the charger any day simply because I can get the G8 in a 6 speed manual (or 6 speed auto if that what does it for you) vs the srt8 and its 5 speed auto only).

hell I'd take a G8 GXP ove the Charger any day simply because I can get the G8 in a 6 speed manual vs the srt8 and its 5 speed auto only.

And that, my friend, is why there probably won't be any more New Mopars in my driveway,....Life is way too short to be driven by an automatic, and I enjoy driving waaaayyy too much to not have a manual trans...

-
Back