Chinese metal, does it matter?

-

Inspector71

Reaction score
In a previous post I asked about cast versus forged crankshafts. Forum members noted that some cranks, of both designs were made in China. I did some checking and Callies, as noted, no longer makes crank shafts of any design for the 273-318-340-360 engines. I checked with K1 and they do. They said the cranks are manufactured in China and shipped here to be worked and refined. In their email, they suggested any crank less than 1200-1300 was going to be made in China. I assume they mean $1200+ dollars. I don't know if this means anything to anyone, I am making no judgments, I am passing it along for your info. Forum members explained the wisdom of using the crank already in the 360 when I get it, as long as it is not damaged, and that's the way I'm going.

There are a lot of us who have had very good luck with Chinese crankshafts. Mine is from 440source.

In a previous post I asked about cast versus forged crankshafts. Forum members noted that some cranks, of both designs were made in China. I did some checking and Callies, as noted, no longer makes crank shafts of any design for the 273-318-340-360 engines. I checked with K1 and they do. They said the cranks are manufactured in China and shipped here to be worked and refined. In their email, they suggested any crank less than 1200-1300 was going to be made in China. I assume they mean $1200+ dollars. I don't know if this means anything to anyone, I am making no judgments, I am passing it along for your info. Forum members explained the wisdom of using the crank already in the 360 when I get it, as long as it is not damaged, and that's the way I'm going.

I refuse to buy any china stuff unless I have to. Every dollar that is sent over there just takes another dollar out of our economy and the next job lost might be yours. For me used reconditioned MaPopar over China break apart any day of the week.

the biggest thing about going to a new china crank is finding out whether it was machined here or there... the material is the material...

and another benifit to these new cranks is they are full radius fillets... much stronger... we use scat cranks in our hemis and never have an issue, its the world cast blocks that are for crap...

P.S. SS/AH uses those same scat hemi cranks...

There are a lot of us who have had very good luck with Chinese crankshafts. Mine is from 440source.

Yes this true ,the bigger company's have outside inspectors.
This is not true with the smaller company's
Inventer of patent 7040362. Now I am on the freedom 85 plan.
foot operated log splitter check it out on the web. China screwed
me and the copycats ,Oklacarollecto is correct.
At least I have my Wife and the sentimental barracuda.

Darryl

-
Back