Chrysler Flat head block

-

64conv65hard

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to post but my company is cleaning house and 1 thing they are ready to throw out is a 6cyl. flat head block (Chrysler). It came out of an old Clark tractor we had here. I was asked if i wanted it so now i'm asking the communitity if I should grab it for someone in need? need answer asap.

Not a huge market for them, but they're not the easiest to find if you need one. I looked for a 218/230 Dodge flathead for months before I found one. Definitely worth saving, but you won't get rich selling it.

If it's a the same as a 230 block, there is indeed a market for it. Old Dodge Power Wagons. I would snag it. It might not be worth a lot, but you could end up helping someone who might be looking for one. They ain't makin anymore of um.

It's missing the pistons, crank, pan, head and timing chain cover. It's also in my trunk now.

There are 2 different Flathead Blocks, one is for the 218/230 and the other is for the larger Flathead 6's. IIRC the common measurement to identify them is the length of the head (23" for the 218/230 and 26" for the larger 6's, i think)

I have a 218 in my '48 Dodge (48,000 original miles, last drove in 1977, purrs like a kitten) and a much larger (265 i believe) Flathead 6 from a Chrysler Backhoe sitting under the work bench.

If I wasn't leaving my truck stock, I'd probably yank the ole 218 for a nice 331 Hemi/4-Speed :D

EDIT :

Sorry, it's 23" and 25" respectively, Also there were 30" versions in a 331 to 413cid Flathead 6 range... Imagine that beast, a 413 Flathead 6!

Thanks for the info, just measured and it's a 218/230. Now that I saved it, any takers?

-
Back