Classic cars in cold weather states...is it worth it?

-
Being from Alaska, you will want a 4x4 of somesort just because. I had many cars r wheel drive big and small in Anchorage with no issues. My mom still drives her PT Cruiser year round. Just keep it clean. They use more sand on the roads now anyway. You'll replace windsheilds often.
If you end up moving pm me and I can help between Tacoma and Anchorage to move cars, trucks and utility trailers.

Any areas that you recommend I check out or recommend that I stay away from? And thanks for the offer, I will definitely keep you in mind when the time comes.

Maybe it's just me, but I would love to drive my cars anytime of the year, and I don't think I would ever get bored with that. Also, doing projects in the winter may be nice, but I sure would like to do projects in the summer also. Thats why I have 5 different cars...all running and driving, so I never get bored with one. In fact, I get a loss of motivation when the sun goes down at 5:00pm in the winter, and even though I have a nice heated garage, it's still tough to go out after work and dinner to start in on a project. Now, in the summer when it doesn't get dark until 10:00pm, I have much more motivation to go out after dinner and get things done!! I also love an evening drive with the family in the convertible, and would do that year round if not for the cold!!

Not complaining though, but I'd love to drive my cars anytime I want!! Geof

Maybe it's just me, but I would love to drive my cars anytime of the year, and I don't think I would ever get bored with that. Also, doing projects in the winter may be nice, but I sure would like to do projects in the summer also. Thats why I have 5 different cars...all running and driving, so I never get bored with one. In fact, I get a loss of motivation when the sun goes down at 5:00pm in the winter, and even though I have a nice heated garage, it's still tough to go out after work and dinner to start in on a project. Now, in the summer when it doesn't get dark until 10:00pm, I have much more motivation to go out after dinner and get things done!! I also love an evening drive with the family in the convertible, and would do that year round if not for the cold!!

Not complaining though, but I'd love to drive my cars anytime I want!! Geof
A former co-worker in AZ bought his first hot road since living there. All I heard when he was looking for it was how it was going to get driven to work several times a week no matter what. His dd, a pickemup with a/c broke and the car was forced into a dd status.....the next time I seen the car at work after the truck was fixed was after the temps dropped out of triple digits. No a/c, headers, black seats, minimal insulation etc gets old real quick in triple digits. I rode a bike for the first six years in AZ, once I got a vehicle with a/c I did not ride for several years. Keep in mind that often times in the Phoenix area the temp is still in the triple digits at mid night. Several folks I still talk to down there are wanting to get out, just because of the heat. The grass (heat) is always greener on the other side........until you get there......

Here is my Valiant in the snow. Pic taken about 5 minutes ago. Woke up to the white stuff this morning. I drive the car rain, sun, snow...literally. It IS my daily driver. No garage to park in here. My wife drives the Commander to work and I drive the Valiant. :burnout:
Nothing like getting thumbs up and compliments EVERY DAY!!

Attachments

• IMG_0751.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 112
A former co-worker in AZ bought his first hot road since living there. All I heard when he was looking for it was how it was going to get driven to work several times a week no matter what. His dd, a pickemup with a/c broke and the car was forced into a dd status.....the next time I seen the car at work after the truck was fixed was after the temps dropped out of triple digits. No a/c, headers, black seats, minimal insulation etc gets old real quick in triple digits. I rode a bike for the first six years in AZ, once I got a vehicle with a/c I did not ride for several years. Keep in mind that often times in the Phoenix area the temp is still in the triple digits at mid night. Several folks I still talk to down there are wanting to get out, just because of the heat. The grass (heat) is always greener on the other side........until you get there......

Here, it's not the heat...it's the humidity!!!LOL!!

Now, they don't call me "Heat Miser" for nuthin', but even I have my limits, and those conditions would surely be at the top of said limits!!!...

I don't know why, but I never use my A/C in my truck, even on the hottest days here!! Only one time recently I can think of...I was going to a funeral over an hour away and didn't want to look wind whipped when I got there. Otherwise I always just have the windows down!! Maybe it's the oldschooler in me, or my wanting to drive my cars, but I love to drive in the heat with the windows down, I just gotta be free!!!...

Fired the Duster up this morning. Haven't started it since I parked it in the garage 5 months ago. I was pleased she fired right up....Of course even though is was in the 20's, any I have no heater, I couldn't help taking a quick spin to "get the carbon out" as my Dad use to say.
:burnout:

Of course the forecast for tomorrow is snow. LOL.

Pat

Ah, the old carbon buildup!! Ever wonder how that carbon gets built up all winter, only to be needed to get "blown out" in the spring???!!!.....

NO QUESTION, yes it's worth it. The main thing when I lived in upstate NY was make sure to wait long enough in spring for lots of rain to clean ALL the salt from the roads. I never drove mine in the rain either. First few drives were always a real rush.

My current DD is a Black Cherokee with no A/C. Most days it isn't too much of an issue. With it being a 4 door I get plenty of air with all my windows down. The hardest part for me is the initial cooking I have endure when I first get in it. Even after driving off right away you still cook for the first ten minutes or so. When I was younger it didn't bother me at all, but I can't tolerate it the same way that I used to.

I don't know about Alaska, but I have been to Northern Ontario, and they park all wheeled veheciles and use snowmobiles in the winter months. 4x4's don't go well in snow over about 12" deep.

we all regret those cars we got rid of when they were a dime a dozen and all over the place yet id like to see the days back when we could go cruze at night .then they cracked down on that chit and we dont havea race track around us here that doesnt go in a circle clay or asphalt so we took our chances on old road stripps. then like some 1 said it got to be felonies to get caught and the cars got sold or stuffed in a garage .now there comming back out i live in wisc the kings of road salt so even sitting took its toll on alot of cars but the shows are pickingup here but that gets old . im glad i found this site for down time gr8 people and like the conversations and really nice cars and storries you get on here is like a car sho but when the time comes i still get out and unload on pedaland letter buck we get to go down to illinois to find a track there a few times a year but the times did change if they would just put up a track here even an1/8 mile
there would be 10,000 people a week out there to run and i think the self policing would make it a gr8 place for a kid to go and get hooked on cars instead of crack and meth and heron .i dont care what kind of car little off toppic now but our summers would help the kids grow up doing something other than the gang bang pressures .

i love my barracuda"s always will but they only plated and insure for road use april thru oct . when the cars got put away we got out our race snomobiles and letter buck again we would have 5000 people out on the ice on a weekend day quad runners pickup races it got to be fun then the had to come and start breaking that up too
snomobiles are 8000.00 brand new or more so every 1 built the older 340 z articats and the 650 polarus and now you go get your 130 mph ootb sleds but we havent had the snow in a few years so if your going north get a good sled here to take there but i wont get rid of my old cars but my body got to beat up for the sleds any more they didnt rust but they have no rollbars and no seat belts so you best get ready to hurt some times or tone it down wich i didnt know how to do lol keep the old cars outa the salt they last a little longer too as for me i"ll be in a DD this year for a while BAD is down for a new drive train restoration lucky for me my daily driver this year will be my grandaughters 64 barracuda 1 week to fire if this dam snow would ever quit

Everywhere is nice. If you need a job Anchorage has the population. Aby where 35 mile radius would work. Retired I would head yo the Kenai Peninsula, fishing and hunting out your front door. I was never a fan of Fairbanks though you would get 300 days of dry. 175 of those dark and cold.

NO QUESTION, yes it's worth it. The main thing when I lived in upstate NY was make sure to wait long enough in spring for lots of rain to clean ALL the salt from the roads. I never drove mine in the rain either. First few drives were always a real rush.

Well that is the thing, I was to get my ride out today after 4 long months but there is so much salt still on the roads and no rain forecast--in fact more snow showers--south of here is looking at 5--10 inches. Freaken $90 a month to store it since I just have a 2 car garage and don't want to leave it outside.

Maybe with a larger garage it be a big help and sure when the weather is finally nice I be happy I have it but is it really worth it ? I used to say yes but now its more car then I really need around here. The Saturn gets me low 20's mpg and can pass 70% of traffic on the freeways. Sure its not as fun driving and I hope to god I never crash the POS cause I know it fall completely apart but so far so good and it sure handles better in wet weather then my old Dodge.

Everywhere is nice. If you need a job Anchorage has the population. Aby where 35 mile radius would work. Retired I would head yo the Kenai Peninsula, fishing and hunting out your front door. I was never a fan of Fairbanks though you would get 300 days of dry. 175 of those dark and cold.

Unfortunately it will have to be somewhere with a job. Thanks again for all the info!

I have never really lived anywhere where there is snow and I was curious what you cold weather folks have to go through with your cars when winter snows hit.

The reason that I'm asking is that I am considering moving myself to Alaska in about a year and half or so. I know that in some areas 4 wheel drive is a must, but larger cities like Anchorage would be fine for a car during the spring and summer months.

Are there ways to keep the rust monster away or is rust inevitable in areas like this? Is there extra maintenance involved? Basically anything helpful that you could tell me would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to get myself into the A-Bodie of my dreams just to face having to sell it if I decide to make a move like this.

Anyway, thanks in advance and have a good one!

Yep, buy a piece o **** to drive in the winter months, and store your classic in a garage till. the spring rains wash away the road salt , then drive it in spring, summer, and fall till the first snowfall.

You'd never know it's a "cold weather" state around here lately, LOL

-
Back