Classic cars remade new. Replacement shells.

-

Asktoro

Reaction score
Not sure how many of you are familiar with the company.

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/classic2.html

I knew about it for a few years, seems like they added a few to their lineup. With hollywood wrecking cars, and damage occurring beyond our control (see:Roadrunner) as well as people just scrapping cars we really need something like this. Maybe with enough FABO/FBBO members pestering them they will make more mopars, currently they only seem to have challengers in the making for 2015 http://dynacornbodies.com/body-shells/challenger.php

The car shells usually run $15k - everything else (fenders/hood/deck) you can find pretty easily. They're laser straight and hopefully completely accurate reproduction shells. What's your guys thoughts? Would you drop $15k for an unmolested A or B body shell?

I'm sort of surprised these guys are still doing okay, in these times. And something else, I'm starting to believe that there is actually a glut of old classic cars out there for sale! The baby boom generation will eventually start to wind down its appetite for these old classics, IMO. I go on Craigslist everyday and am amazed at how cheap some classic cars are.......with still no buyers. I'm fairly sure that Hemi Cudas/Challengers/Superbirds will always be in high demand by well-off collectors and stay expensive.

But that new Challenger must've been a punch in the gut to original classic Challenger market. And I can barely believe that Dynacorn makes those chevy truck cabs. There's probably 15 rust-free cabs in people's backyards out in my area of the desert.

ROTFL! Yeah, I know where to find at least uh... -mumble- 6 of them offhand, locally of where I could snag them for probably 50-100 bucks.

I wish there was such thing about classics you so speak of, out here. Granted I see them, I just have yet to find the year I want. Still waiting to find out about the gold duster, might head out on the 4th and pen down the VIN/plates and que. The only thing newer cars have over classics that's necessary out here is AWD due to snow conditions... we have 8 months of winter, 2 months of summer, everything inbetween is just rainy overcast bleh-ness.

But that new Challenger must've been a punch in the gut to original classic Challenger market. And I can barely believe that Dynacorn makes those chevy truck cabs. There's probably 15 rust-free cabs in people's backyards out in my area of the desert.

I was thinking the same thing. My buddy builds lowrider type cars(no hydros) and he's had so many of those things come through. He even bought a straight bodied running and driving 55 pickup for like 1200 bucks.

Several members of the Indy Mopar club have sold off their older cars for new challengers.

I love the new car and would like to have one myself.

The cars days are numbered, someone has to want them for them to stay in demand. As we get older and the younger generation has little to no interest in the older cars there will be little demand, prices will fall and many will be in disrepair.

Dynacorn days will be numbered too unless they keep up a good business plan.

Look at the show car cruise in crowd, a bunch of old gray haired guys. WE NEED IT INVOLVE THE YOUNGER GENERATION. Problem is the cars, insurance and repairs are too expensive for them

Would I buy a new body. NO but there are those that would. If you want THAT CAR from your past and cannot find a decent body it isn't a bad way to go.

I don't want another major project.

But that new Challenger must've been a punch in the gut to original classic Challenger market. And I can barely believe that Dynacorn makes those chevy truck cabs.

the new mustang,camaro and challenger are a huge punch in the gut for the old muscle. i surf various boards and there are a lot of guys selling their old muscle for new muscle. way better performance everywhere and a lot more comfortable and better on gas. and look at the price.. by no means cheap but look at what it costs to restore an old muscle car. probably pretty close to the same price. hell it may be a little more to do the old muscle. these days its almost silly to be messing with old muscle.

I'm sort of surprised these guys are still doing okay, in these times. And something else, I'm starting to believe that there is actually a glut of old classic cars out there for sale! The baby boom generation will eventually start to wind down its appetite for these old classics, I.

Your analysis may be the result of the bursting of the bubble. As the bubble built, expanded, strained, and even was leaking "the seams" we all remember the incredible prices some of these brought on ebay. I doubt that many, if any, will see this again in their lifetime.

Interesting what you guys are saying, I've had the feeling myself for a while. Kind of drawn towards a newer car than something 50 years old for performance/comfort/mileage reasons as well but it hasn't stopped me from contemplating grafting a old school body to say...a wrecked 2010-ish car and use the motor, electronics, interior and such to make more of an auto cross daily driver. Then again that's SUCH a big project.

I've seen some fairly salvageable guts from newer cars running around the 2k-3k range for the whole car.

I'm pretty sure that AMD has been manufacturing E bodies and most, if not all of the 2nd gen Chargers for a little while, now.

Dynacorn has been making bodies for some time, now.

It's still cheaper to restore what you've got, if you've got what you want.

I do everything on my own cars, so I could care less about a new bodied car, as it will likely need a reasonable amount of longboarding and high build primer to get it to my specs. The only time and money it saves me is finding a car, buying it, welding and dent repair. You could juggle the dynacorn price against that gig and come out on top, either way, depending on the car you found.

I think Year One put together a Camaro drop top and did everything they could with new parts successfully, except for the glove box door. For whatever reason, they found an original and used it.

Again, if I can't find what I want of the hand full of models they make new, I'll get something else. There are a lot of cars that I'm interested in that already exist.

The A body won't happen, unless it's a '67-'69 Drop top. Too many of them out there at low cost to justify $15k. That kind of money will buy you a very nice A body.

Considered the price of a restore,or a new car,it's a toss up. (Unless,you are doing it hands on).See a market for the new body shells. Most likely, a newer Pro Touring, vintage racing application. The newer late model crate engines,make it a plug and play situation.

For 15K I can find a real 340 Challenger and replace the quarters.

Funny you mention that,a friend has a 340 Challenger,needed quarters. Did all the work,short of engine machining. Time involved 19 years. Cost :17,000 in part receipts, not counting stuff bought without record. Still needs to be squirted.

Picture

Attachments

• IMG_20130622_164137.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 483
if i had the cash, probably. id rather have a hard top dart than a weak heavy fagtop.

Remember for the 15K it's just a shell with no other parts and no VIN.

I stand by my statement.

I can build a damn nice driver for 15K.

Interesting what you guys are saying, I've had the feeling myself for a while. Kind of drawn towards a newer car than something 50 years old for performance/comfort/mileage reasons as well but it hasn't stopped me from contemplating grafting a old school body to say...a wrecked 2010-ish car and use the motor, electronics, interior and such to make more of an auto cross daily driver. Then again that's SUCH a big project.

I've seen some fairly salvageable guts from newer cars running around the 2k-3k range for the whole car.

This is a perfect example. Wonderful job, but the cost must be astronomical.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/SRT-8-Dodge-Mirada/183925705026531?hc_location=stream

Not that I'd encourage the practice but I am curious what is stopping someone from buying a completely DEMOLISHED rare vin car, pulling the vin and sticking it on one of those shells? They at least have some sort of laser etch "hey this is a repro" somewhere right?

GaryS - Not bad, I can see myself doing it purely for fun, the challenge and all. I mean... it would rock to have a 72 duster with complete modern amenities, suspension and such. Honestly I was pawing at the idea of making a tube chassis akin to the 70s era cutlass, slap independent rear, double a wishbone front, keep engine mostly stock except for EFI. That's my plan anyway, is or was? With how things are going I have no clue if I'll actually have time for a car anymore. I'm actually thinking about moving to Oregon somewhere near the Portland area to be closer to family and get heck out of Montana.

Remember for the 15K it's just a shell with no other parts and no VIN.

I stand by my statement.

I can build a damn nice driver for 15K.

The guys buying new bare shells for $15k are after something other then just a nice driver.

You are correct Joe! Just look at some of the for sale threads.How many of you guys will actually fork out 15 grand for a driver? Much less 15 for a hull.and as for your question about numbers this has happened for years and they don't come with a disclaimer.common sense will tell you what happens to these bodies after they leave the factory.

You are correct Joe! Just look at some of the for sale threads.How many of you guys will actually fork out 15 grand for a driver? Much less 15 for a hull.and as for your question about numbers this has happened for years and they don't come with a disclaimer.common sense will tell you what happens to these bodies after they leave the factory.

What if you have a rusted to all hell 440 or hemi challenger, complete with title. I dont see anything wrong with using one of these shells to put it back together.

What if you have a rusted to all hell 440 or hemi challenger, complete with title. I dont see anything wrong with using one of these shells to put it back together.

Post that in question form on moparts. I would love to see some of the replies. :)

This is unbelievable. Some of you same guys are the ones that chime in that vin's shouldn't be sold or swapped to other bodies. Its illegal remember. What would the difference be if you used a rust free /6 car to restore your muscle car. by applying the numbers.

Now either we are against this or for it. It is yes sell and buy vin numbers to make a car or no don't make any more Mopar bodies.

I never see GM guys having this problem. Only the mopar guys that are afraid of letting there be another car like theirs.

I guess I start saving Titles and sell them on this site for the new bodies coming out. would that be OK with you all. look here is a new Duster shell. I am going to make a Loaded Duster and have a data plates made. I'll just start copying some of the rare cars on here.

Attachments

• scan0011.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 375
Sometimes there is not much left of a vehicle to try to salvage the original body.
I bought a new repo body for my willys because the old one was a little rough.
So I saved a $200.00 parts vehicle for future generations to enjoy.
What am I guilty of?

1000938n.jpg

1002082.jpg

Seems like its damned if you do..damned if you don't in this situation. I'm not ok with VIN swaps, jmo.

Hell if you're gonna swap VINs, just open a chop shop.

-
Back