cleaning aluminum intake

-

68 A

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hi,

I have to take my intake off to fix an oil leak and it is a little dirty. I was new a year ago and the aluminum is a bit dirty, figured i should brighten while i got it off. Does anyone know a good cleaning product for it?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, if the intake is cast aluminum you could use a mild aluminum wheel cleaner. That's what I've used in the past and it didn't damage the finish on the aluminum parts I was cleaning. Just scrub the intake really well with a parts brush and remember not to let the wheel cleaner dry on the intake.

Steve, if the intake is cast aluminum you could use a mild aluminum wheel cleaner. That's what I've used in the past and it didn't damage the finish on the aluminum parts I was cleaning. Just scrub the intake really well with a parts brush and remember not to let the wheel cleaner dry on the intake.

I vouch for that method, worked great on my M1. I also painted mine with engine clearcoat to reduce futue staining.

Last one I did I ran it thru the dishwasher, blasted it then clear coated it. I then baked it in the oven.

I'm divorced now..........never could figure out why she left.

i can get the mag cleaner, but the wife and dishwasher might take some time...

thanks!

Last one I did I ran it thru the dishwasher, blasted it then clear coated it. I then baked it in the oven.

I'm divorced now..........never could figure out why she left.

LMAO MVR!!!!!!!!

You could always send it over here 68 A. I do good work ... just ask around. :-D

<<< never above a shameless plug when I can get one in there. LOL

Put a nice coat of paint on it and it'll be easy to clean.

Mopar ALWAYS painted the intake. The bare aluminum intake was a Z28 thing.

What if your wife is the dishwasher?

I was thinking the same thing GT but didn't wanna seem sexist out here in the garage. LMAO!!!!

I still say send it over here. For about $75, I'll not only wash it lovingly by hand, I'll media blast it, outgas it to get all the impurities out, coat it in your favorite wild or factory color, and get it back home in a few days.

That's infinitely cheaper than the present you'll have to kick down for (not to mention all the other intangible fallout when you upset your lady) if you ask her to wash it for you. ;-)

CudaChick1968 did mine and the wife never had to deal with it.:love7:
That may be wy I have been married for 28 years:-D

Here is the before and after, I will not have to do nothing to it again :cheers:

122 062.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

I am certainly not trying to knock Cudachick out of any work because a freshly powder coated aluminum intake looks killer! But If you are on the CHEAP get a little of the stuff the A/C man sprays on your home central A/C unit to clean the aluminum coils! it works pretty darn good on automotive aluminum. And for some stubborn stained aluminum you can also use some easy off oven cleaner!I took an old crusty intake and sprayed it 3 different times and rinsed it well each time.
Came out looking really nice. I also keep the aluiminum coated exhaust pipes under the car clean by using easy off!
Just spray it on and wait a minute or two then wipe clean! Just make sure to wear eye and hand protection and be aware of any wind blowing,you don't want that stuff getting on you cause it burns! BE VERY CAREFUL USING ANY TYPE OF CAUSTIC CHEMICALS! I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH "CAREFUL" CAREFUL" CAREFUL"! Please do not come back on here and say 1969340 Dart said to do this and now I am burned on one arm and lost vision in one eye and have no nose hairs left and now everything I eat taste funny! CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL! You may even want to use a respirator or mask for those that are accident pronged! And can't follow directions on the labels of the items they are using!You have to use common sense! I have used this product and oven cleaner on aluminum case 4 speed trans,auto trans,old aluminum valve covers,intakes,old aluminum wheels etc. Has worked for me!

LMAO MVR!!!!!!!!

You could always send it over here 68 A. I do good work ... just ask around. :-D

<<< never above a shameless plug when I can get one in there. LOL

I agree, powder coating the intake is your BEST bet. Send it to CudaChick1968...she does nice work and for $75 bucks you can't beat it!

Hey Leanna, when I save up some money I'm going to send you my intake so you could do your magic! :wave:

powedercoating probably would keep it cleaner. I cleaned it with some wheel cleaner tongiht, and it looks better, definatly not new. However i put it back on. I need to get it in driving condtion cause that is the most fun for me! Maybe next winter i'll take it back off and send it down to CudaChick. I've still got to look into selling the T/A heads i got and buying some aluminum heads, so the intake would have to come off for that...

thanks!

Steve

Cheap! I have been acused of a time or two unfortunaely! LMAO, anyhow I used oven cleaner and a nylon brush it came out great. I let it dry for a day or so and sprayed it Chrysler Blue and it has yet to come off. Try it, it works great and its only about $3.00

... Please do not come back on here and say 1969340 Dart said to do this and now I am burned on one arm and lost vision in one eye and have no nose hairs left and now everything I eat taste funny!
Ohhhhhhh my God that was FUNNY!!! :love4::wav:

But you definitely got your point across! Well done!!!

You can go to a truck wash and have them use the acid on it and then power wash it. Works good as long as it is not a polished intake.:stop:

-
Back