Clearance issues

-

Quikitty

Reaction score
I’m finishing up the restoration on my 69 340 4spd barracuda but am having some unexpected clearance issues with the steering linkage and starter.
I replaced all the standard wear components (idler arm, Pittman arm, tie rod ends) (yes I know the pins are not in them yet, mostly). I am seeing the Pittman arm hit the starter (see photo). Is it possible that there is another Pittman and idler arm that are longer, did I buy the wrong ones?
is it possible that the engine is setting too low in the cradle?
Any ideas on what I might have done wrong?

E6308F3C-4D54-40AE-B1FA-BEB43D8C35E9.jpeg

1E18CF25-937E-4653-ADCD-28A21B21B203.jpeg

View attachment 1715715857

I’m finishing up the restoration on my 69 340 4spd barracuda but am having some unexpected clearance issues with the steering linkage and starter.
I replaced all the standard wear components (idler arm, Pittman arm, tie rod ends) (yes I know the pins are not in them yet, mostly). I am seeing the Pittman arm hit the starter (see photo). Is it possible that there is another Pittman and idler arm that are longer, did I buy the wrong ones?
is it possible that the engine is setting too low in the cradle?
Any ideas on what I might have done wrong?

View attachment 1715715855

View attachment 1715715856

View attachment 1715715857
Also note inner tie rod end scraping against torsion bar

Did you do the disassembly on the restoration or was it apart and you are just reassembling it ? Did you compare the old parts with the replacement parts to make sure they were the same ?Did you order a parts kit to replace the front steering linkage parts or just order piece meal ?
Hard to answer your question not knowing what you did. Check your reciepts to make sure the correct parts were ordered for this application. Did you change from the original engine, trans or just rebuilt the original stuff ?

Are the new tie rod ends run out to the same length as the old ones were?
Drag link orientation right? (One car that I did as a rookie I had reversed it end to end).

Don't know if this can help ya' at all. Mine is a '69 BB all manual car. ........

upload_2021-3-29_20-37-13.png

I bought the car disassembled with engine out. The engine is original to the car. I did not notice a difference in the steering parts I replaced. Just did not know if there was a 6 cyl Pittman arm and a v8 pitman arm.

Right off hand, I'd say wrong pitman. It looks to need more offset to drop the drag link lower. As for a couple of other observations.....I'd get a flywheel cover before I drove that out on the street. If you've ever had a good sized rock fly up inside the bell housing, you'll know why! Also, I'd install the ground strap up on the cylinder head like stock instead of way down low on the starter bolt, (It's supposed to be a stud there anyway) and not use it to anchor your throw-out fork return spring.

-
Back