clones?????????

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
this could be a rant or food for thought???
clones? back when I first got interested in this old mopar car hobby, bout '85. these "high performance" yet to be called "musclecars" were just becoming sought after toys, after being nothing more than used car gas hogs. no such thing as a clone. anything NOT a real performance muscle car,,,,say roadrunner, or say pre 72 performance car was a potential racecar or parts car. 72 340 cuda??? couldn't pay someone to haul it away!!
who invented the clone anyway!????? maybe the barret jackson "buzzard." he wants to turn a quick buck, but not invest in the price of say an original runner or cuda or whatever project.. maybe it started back in late nineties when the price was recovering from the price crash of 91-2!!!!??? first time I heard that word I was reading mopar action or something.... I remember when people starting wanting like $3500 to 5,000 for a 69 383 runner, project, that few years before, ya wouldn't even look at it for a parts car! maybe that was when it started ???? date? not sure, maybe around '96 or 7?? don't recall. ( maybe for the mopar guy born in 2000 this isn't relevant)?? so the clone was born.
i'm always lusting after something that would be interesting... say an m code 69 cuda, ya know the rare 440 car.only a handful built.... now i'm not a purist, not wealthy, don't expect to find one in the 80 yr old neighbors barn, and steal it from her, so the clone enters my head. (open up my head and have my brain examined???). o k. so I say self, find a decent roller, maybe one old joe took apart 5-6 yrs ago and the wife says " sell it or divorce!!!!!" yes!!!! that's fair!!??? right.
so now I tell myself, is this opening up a can of worms!???
yea I've seen the real ones, passed on buying an original numbers matching one bout "98 for 10 K, perfect body, but muissing hood scoops, rebuilt # motor sittin on stand. not my favorite color but..... 10K. yes wife (now X) if she found out, she would have pooped a cow. I know, should have bought it... hindsight...
now I know these machines were built over 3 specific days of production, so do the buzzards.... so a build date and appropriate vin could be made up, by the buzzards. right. I've seen people have vin tags reproduced, totally illegal if nothing else, fender tags, no problem, not sure if the buzzards have repoped the build sheet!????so if ya know all the little things that were unique to the car, it can be "cloned".
now here enters the "thing" I sometimes have a hard time understanding. you got the guy that wants an original Plymouth built 69 440 m code 69 # matching cuda. he' s will to pay big bucks for it. he can afford it. he wouldn't consider a clone, a made up car, a duplicate, a tribute car, right??
now when the factory built this car, it started as a body just like the slant car. it rolls down the assembly line and the guys build it according to the build sheet, adding the frame boxing, right torsion bars, correct leaf springs, brakes, then that 440 with the funky mounts,,, etc, then it gets interior and paint and etc like all the rest. ok so someone punched the hood and added the "rare" scoops. the line spits it out with that big honkin 440, and then the production is back spitting out the slants, 318 cars etc.
so then what is such a big deal!????? its a slant body with the funky parts!???? but yet there are guys willing to pay how many $$$$ for an "original one?"????
then ya got the "buzzzzard" building one with illegal vin, stamped block,etc etc ( o k so he had to find one with correct casting date...), he's ready to screw bigtime that guy that wants the "real" car I have to wonder how many people have been taken!????
so if I build this clone lets say, if I ever decide to sell it, yes I would say I built it that way, but.... would it someday windups up in the hands of someone that wants to try to pawn it off as " factory built"?!! .....
now don't get me wrong. I love the enthusiasm the "purist" has, his knowledge of that particular car he so covets, that perfectly restored, rare, numbers matching, correct right down to the original spare with 1969 pure air in it.....I applaud his ability to restore a basket case or his financial wherewith to buy one in any condition....
but...... if have one, I will have to do as Plymouth did, start with a body and add all the doda's!!!>>>>>>:LOL

A friend of mine built a clone roadrunner for a customer. A few years later the guy decides to sale it. Posts it as an original. Try's to pay my friend $5000.00 to swear to the prospective buyer that it is an original car. Luckily the guy has morals and would not do it.

like I said, a real bad dude could make it where no one would know... maybe I shouldn't have started this... if the money crowd quits buying high end cars, the value of us little guys cars may become totally cheap???? !! maybe not a bad thing?? LOl

I am not a numbers matching type person, so to me a 440 Cuda is a 440 Cuda and I don't give a damn how or when it got it's 440.
I have em to drive the crap out of them, fix em and drive the crap out of them again whatever it takes.
Now If I still had my old 69 original numbers Roadrunner or something like that........
I'd drive the crap outta that too.

As a matter of fact I did take an original numbers matching 1969 Roadrunner with the 383 Magnum and stuck a police 440 HO motor in it.
(You guessed it) I drove the crap out of it. :D

I'll never understand the mentality of those who see cars as an investment. They are for enjoyment or they are utilitarian. There are much more effective & lucrative ways to make money.

Hmmm I wonder if I could clone my V100 out and pawn it off as a Signet. Not!

I hate clone cars!! Hate, hate, hate them. If people keep paying a premium for them I guess they won't go away anytime soon. Just my $.02 rant.

I dont 'hate' cloned cars persay...I hate people trying to pass them off as the real deal... When you sell it, I believe there is a moral and ethical responsibility to let it be known its a clone...and it should be priced accordingly.. Im not saying you should give the car away, but to me its just silly to charge the crazy money the real deal brings simply because you have a well done 'clone'...

Also for me, sometimes 'cloning' is for purely personal reasons... My Dart was not a Swinger.. it was a no frills 6 cylinder grocery getter... but I love the 'Swinger' name and nostalgia that goes with it... So, when I redid the car I went with the Swinger stripe and all that jazz.. in a way 'cloning' a 69 Swinger... I would never in a million years try to sell it as the real deal... but thats just me and my .02

We were building clones in 1975/1976 so I would guess it was probably started out by the poor boys that wanted the real deal but couldn't afford it. We could buy a LeMans a lot cheaper than a GTO and we were poor so we cloned our LeMans to be a GTO. Did the same thing with a Chevelle SS. They were definitely not done for a profit as we drove these cars until they were junk. There was plenty of the real cars that were destroyed in the junkyard so parts were plentiful and cheap.

We were building clones in 1975/1976 so I would guess it was probably started out by the poor boys that wanted the real deal but couldn't afford it. We could buy a LeMans a lot cheaper than a GTO and we were poor so we cloned our LeMans to be a GTO. Did the same thing with a Chevelle SS. They were definitely not done for a profit as we drove these cars until they were junk. There was plenty of the real cars that were destroyed in the junkyard so parts were plentiful and cheap.

Good point

My 'Lil Red Express is a real one.

View attachment 18.JPG

Our '68 Charger is a true R/T.

View attachment 16.JPG

Our '70 Roadrunner is a real Roadrunner.

View attachment 14.JPG

My '69 440 Six Pack Super Bee was a real one.

View attachment 21.JPG

The '68 Chevelle that my son just sold was an SS clone. And I put an SS hood on my '69 Chevelle.

View attachment 22.JPG

My '74 Cuda was an AAR clone (complete with almost everything changed out to a '70 including the tail light panel).

View attachment 17.JPG

I consider the look of my '67 Barracuda to be somewhat a Hemi Barracuda clone.

View attachment 15.JPG

We've never tried to pass off our vehicles as anything other than what they were. It's always been a matter of making them look the way we wanted them to look.

My son bought a 2010 Challenger SRT8 and he's considering putting AAR stripes and hood on it.

View attachment 23.JPG

My dad owned a '70 Charger R/T. He'll never be able to afford a real one. Take a normal '70 Charger, add some R/T badges, exact same paint and stripe, and he gets to relive his glory days.

No harm as long as whenever he wants to sell it he doesn't pass it off as a real R/T.

There are two '70 Chargers for sale here in BC. A real R/T which is $66,000 and the R/T clone, which is $35,000.

You are spot on with this comment , I could not agree more
I`m building something the factory never did, would be impossible to sell it as an original. where could I get a fender tag made for it w/ my version of it? want one just for the heck of it!!-----bob

used to be guy in ariz that purchases one of the fender tag making machines from ma mopar. hw went by Marti auto works, used to could find him on the computer, ... anyway, has been many a car missing the fender tag... people tag them off while doin rest and lose the da-- thing or someone a------steals it, that he repoped the tag for, he could make it correct with a build sheet or been plenty of people that sent him a list of what they wanted......
course chevy
muscle cars were the same suspension and brakes as their non muscle cousin, add SS badges and ya got a clone?????
another point: mopar sent 68 dart and cuda off " bodies in white" off to their "paid shop", was it called creative industries?? to be converted to hemi cars, their 68 s s deal ?????? superbirds and daytonas the same. ???
yea I've taken many slants and dropped in 340's , took 318 belvedere's and added 440 and s s hood scoop. I don't call that a clone, just creative hotroddng on poor man's scale????!! LOL

hey famous bob: about your question as to repoped fender tags. I did just look up marti auto works on the net. I do remember he started out doing all kinds of tags for ford then he acquired the tag machine for mopar. it doesn't mention doin any mopar tags now, you contact him and ask.
problem in repopin a fender tag if you do not have the build sheet is a person could add all kinds of changes for options, person could change the color code and if he was devious enough to get rid of all traces of original paint, he could build a say..... panther pink 440 6 cuda and screw mr moneybags out of a few more ten thousnads ! but the guy would be able to tell his bodies that his prize is not only a legit 440-6 cuda but one of how many pink ones!!??? then if the old car market did a big jump on prices,,, he could sell it to another rich buddy and make big $$ profit to add to his zillions he already has in the bank!! ?? LOL sorry, I just find all this amusing.. maybe I've seen too much bu--s--- when it comes to people scr--ing each other...??? maybe i'm envious of the billions? NO
funny thing I re member the first price crash of 91-2, the bottom had fell out of the high end cars, (being bought and traded by the wealthy that had looked for place to play and invest in because e of the stock market crash of what "89???) the average person didn't know the bottom had felllout, the little guy sure didn't, and yet the car mags EVERY month kept telling how so and so just paid $$$$ zillion for a 71 hemi cuda!!!!! some say they were trying to give the investors time to unload before they took a big hit!!?????? I have hard time thinkin the rags were out of touch. O K so maybe mopar muscle was in another world! LOL

These cars to me are hotrods or race cars. I build them how I want them to be because I can't order one new. I don't think I could get my investment back if I were to ever sell anyway.
All this numbers, date and paper part of the hobby just takes the fun out of it for me so I don't pay it no mind.
I learned to love these cars when they were used up cast offs because that's what I could afford to own and drive. Thirtyfive years later it is not so easy to have my mopars as the prices have just gotten to the point of stupid on the now rare stuff. But I am still at it because
its what I enjoy. I am just glad they were cheap for a couple of decades in the past or I likely would have never gotten to experience them at all.

My Dart is a GTS clone even though it has no GTS badges and never will. It is and always will be a 6 cylinder car that was made to look like a GTS. A LOT of people buy what they THINK is a real car and it turns out to be a clone. Now another question- is it still real if it has been re-bodied because of rust issues??

Attachments

• 969985_385605941559725_170717160_n.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 269
I don't mind clones if they are built as clones! Not a 1969 Coronet with a Super Bee stripe painted limelight green with a 318 in it,sorry but that is not a clone.Just a F**k%d up car.....

to me a rebodied car is basically doing what the factory did in the first place when they built it. they pulled a random body going down the assembly line and said" car you will be born now a hemi car!??.... IF that person does all the things to it to make it what it originally was: box the frame, correct t bars, springs,, everything else. and .... if it was hemi 4 speed and person only had a 23 spline to put in it, to me it would be a rebidied hemi car with say the wrong tranny!?? LOL
if someone sold me a rebodied car and didn't disclose that fact,......
selling a rebodied car with the wrong body panels numbers on it... well that's dishonest if not disclosed to buyer. me now, if I got screwed like that I would check out the net worth of the buzzard that sold it to m e, hire a good attorney and have the $$$$$ to increase the heard with REAL hemi cars!! LOL or better yet... put that in the bank and drop a hemi in a slant body and be tickled s---less!!????? LOL
like 68383GTS said, stripes and high impact paint on a 69 coronet 318 car.... doesn't appeal to me......I vote .go ahead and at least get it correct for the bee you are t rying to represent... just me....

I dont like using the word clone i think of mine as a recreation. Even though my 71 demon came with a /6 with auto trans. It has period correct engine trans and rear end. Its not an original demon 340 but it is a demon 340 plain and simple. To me a clone is taking a car and making it what its not like taking a satellite and making it a roadrunner. That to me is a clone. But if you take a chevelle and put a period correct engine trans running gear etc that came in the SS. then it would be an SS. I dont care what the vin tag says what it originally was. Only time it would matter is at the selling point. But to me as long as you have taken the time to put period correct parts depending on the model then thats not a clone. Also ive noticed on barret jackson that the cars most people consider clones arent called clones they will usually use the term custom. Ex.
1967 ford mustang custom and it will be one made to look like a boss or mach 1
Ill probably get someone who disagrees with me but opinions are like butholes, everybody has got one

My custom made fender tag has

GTS CLONE on the bottom line

Not trying to rip anyone off, just make people that don't know scratch there head

View attachment image.jpg

Don't like the people that Clone a high dollar car and try and pass it off as real

And there have been a lot of that happen in the past.

My custom made fender tag has

GTS CLONE on the bottom line

Not trying to rip anyone off, just make people that don't know scratch there head

View attachment 1714713866

Don't like the people that Clone a high dollar car and try and pass it off as real

And there have been a lot of that happen in the past.
:burnout:
thanks for the info. there`s no way mine could ever be sold as an original. I`m building my way, the factory never built one like it. just thot it would be neat if it had a tag on it 1 ---BOB

Actually clones were around in the 80's but they were done for prestige and not for the financial investment. I remember in the 80's when I was in High School you would see so many Chevelles that were cloned to SS models, not because the kid wanted to make money on it, but everyone looked at the SS as the car to have. How many times did you say, Oh nice Chevelle too bad it isn't an SS, so kids would make them into what other kids (No adults really cared about Musclecars at that time) thought was cool. So many Dusters had 340 stripes and an "L' code in the vin with a 318 under the hood. Now it is simply for money, and that is where it gets ugly.

-
Back