cloyes: made in USA?

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
so i just received my cloyes hd roller timing set from summit, label on box says made in USA. open it up and the label on timing gear package says made in taiwan,WTF! it better hold up is all i can say

The are not lying?? The box is made in the USA!!!! Does it say that the parts inside the box are made in the USA??/

the label with part number says made in USA,not the box, im sure it will be fine but i would rather support USA or canadian made products

could have been "assembled" in USA so the label may be legit.

What factors does the Commission consider to determine whether a product is "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.?
The product’s final assembly or processing must take place in the U.S.

Many Chinese parts are now labeled 'Made in PRC'. They determined the 'made in China' label stereotyped poor quality products.

Last edited:
the label with part number says made in USA,not the box, im sure it will be fine but i would rather support USA or canadian made products
You're missing my point.......the label and the P/N stamping were made in the USA. Yes, it's a hoax but only the items labeled "made in the USA" are actually made in the USA. Now if the part was stamped made in the USA but actually made in China, now then you would have a gripe. I hate it also!!!!!:mad:

Here's a clue. If whatever brand you get from wherever is also sold in the big box stores (Cloyes is) then it is NOT made in the USA.

What is a 'Cast in China, machined in USA' count as, ie. cranksfafts....?

What is a 'Cast in China, machined in USA' count as, ie. cranksfafts....?
Sad but we don't have too many iron foundries in the US any more that can cast products cheap enough for out markets. We are a Walmart society and when we buy something we want it cheap but good. Nothing wrong with China steel. They don't have EPA, Osha,tarrifs, or labor unions to raise the price up. Those folks probably work their *** off for a dollar an hour in nasty conditions just to feed their families and think they have the world by the tail.

metalurgy is somewhat iffy, but if the steel is steel, I don't see where its cast/forged is a deal breaker. truth is they mae anything to the buyers spec. If SCAT says cast it from yadda yadda then they will do it. It has to pass some SCAT mans QC, right?

metalurgy is somewhat iffy, but if the steel is steel, I don't see where its cast/forged is a deal breaker. truth is they mae anything to the buyers spec. If SCAT says cast it from yadda yadda then they will do it. It has to pass some SCAT mans QC, right?
I would think so. Like many US manufacturers, outsourcing to China has become a big business. Same product, 1/10th the price and up goes the profits. Apparently the casting was ok but not the machining. They do it here.

Sad but we don't have too many iron foundries in the US any more that can cast products cheap enough for out markets. We are a Walmart society and when we buy something we want it cheap but good. Nothing wrong with China steel. They don't have EPA, Osha,tarrifs, or labor unions to raise the price up. Those folks probably work their *** off for a dollar an hour in nasty conditions just to feed their families and think they have the world by the tail.

We have the world's largest grey iron foundry in the world in my hometown. They beat the Chinese on both price and quality when shipping is figured in. They have a pretty good export biz going from what I hear.

If you do some legwork you'll find dozens or more iron foundries that will compete on price and quality. Going offshore may be easier but I'd sooner buy USA from trusted sources.

Just because the Chi-Coms say it's the same metal it doesn't mean it is... lots of poor quality parts being sold with inferior metalurgy and heat treat.

I've noticed on many of the timing sets, the sprockets are USA made and the chains are stamped china, taiwan, india etc....I guess if half the parts are made here that qualifies for a 'made in USA' label.

For advise on what not to choose, don't pick Comp Cams' offerings! 3 times, a 400 ford a 390 ford and a 350 chev, none of these would degree correctly with the 3 key set. I tried the 400 2 years ago, due to not being able to get the Cloyes, the other 2, customers came in for advise about not being able to get a good degreeing result. Comparisons showed that there (Comp) bottom gears are not made correctly. Be careful as to whose brand you choose.

-
Back