Cluster Light Problem

-

fenderman33

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my 73 Duster back to where I can drive it again, but if it's not one little thing it's the other...
What's going on now is the number 5 fuse will blow as soon as I turn the parking lights on. I switched headlight switches (I have like 3) awhile back and then I had taillights, parking lights, and headlights, but no instrument panel lights, which I'm not real big on, but it's better than nothing. So the other day I try switching to another headlight switch to see if my problem's in there, but even switching back to the origonal one that was working for awhile leaves me with a blown fuse....
If anyone's come across this and can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jon

You've got a dead short somewhere in the circuit. Start testing wires until you find the one which is shorting out because it may or may not be in the headlight switch itself. Which circuit does your #5 fuse control?

Fenderman33, OldVart is quite correct. Hopefully you know alittle about troubleshooting and have a volt meter...(A Must). Your #5 fuse runs your parking lights and cluster. Although your lights also provide signals, I would suspect that it's only your parking light circuit at this time. The grounded short (broken wire) draws too much current blowing the fuse. I don't think it's your switch as well. (Have a few extra fuses on hand) To troubleshoot, first "you could" reach under your dash and very "easy" pull out your cluster electrical connecter. With a new fuse in place...turn on your parking lights. If the fuse blows again, it's not your instument cluster. Next ensure your light switch is in the off position. Take out (all) your parking light bulbs to ensure nothing is going to natural ground, then with a voltmeter on Ohms scale place the (-) probe on a good ground somewhere. With the (+) probe touch inside a bulb contact area...If that bulb run is a good circuit you should get no needle deflection. If you get a deflection that's the circuit that's broken or shorting out to ground. This is where you will have to brake things down even more to find where the problem is. You may even have to open your connecter which seperates the circuit from front to rear. Need more help, give me a PM

Looks like there was a problem in the radio wiring...fixed it, and so far I have everything working that wasn't before, so I'm stoked for now.
Thanks alot,
Jon

-
Back