Clutch style fan?

-

JoeDust451

Reaction score
What fan will fit in a 71 dart with a SB, right now i have the solid fan off the 318, wanting to go with a clutch style, i can get the "clutch" from the parts house, but the fan is not avialable, would it have to be specificly for an A body, or is that just the clutch itself?

Fan blades used on the fan clutches are pretty much universal. The choice of blade may be deterimed by the space available. Generally speaking a V8 in an "A" body requires an 18 inch diameter not having a lot of pitch to the blades, because of the limited space between the pullys and the radiator.

FYI There are two differant types of fan clutches; themostatic and torque-limiting (also called centrifical). Use only the thermostatic type, it is controled by the temperature of the air coming through the radiator. The torque limiting is controled by engine RPMs only.

I second on the universal.

Not long ago I went through the same thing. I finally went with a non clutch after trying to go with a clutch type. But later found that this clutch is shorter than most clutches. The problem I was having was my clutch that I had in hand was to close to the radiator.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-2765/

I saved this link to my file so I could order it later on and give it a try. I got this info from AdamR so to be sure to talk with him to double check what I'm telling you.

Thanks, yeah the clutch for this car is avialable from Autozone, but not the fan, so i guess i'll have to scout around.

mullinax95, what type non-clutch fan are you useing, i know alot of the factory styles will rob HP, thats why i'm trying to get away from it.

If you are looking for a universal replacement, Flexalite makes brand spankin new 6 blade clutch fans available in a wide range of sizes. I bought one for my car and it works great. Just measure your stock fan and get one that is close to the same size. YES I SAID CLUTCH NOT FLEX FAN!!

Try this link 18" 6 blade clutch fan
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-5718/

Thanks, yeah the clutch for this car is avialable from Autozone, but not the fan, so i guess i'll have to scout around.

mullinax95, what type non-clutch fan are you useing, i know alot of the factory styles will rob HP, thats why i'm trying to get away from it.

First off I need to say that I have a Griffin aluminum radiator and it is a tad bit thicker that the stock if I remember correctly. Also I am running March pulleys that are thicker than stock pulleys. That 1/4" means alot believe it or not when it comes down to it. I run no clutch at all just a Flex 6 blade steel fan. I wanted to check on the clutch that I linked above but never got any further. The viscous fan package would not work on my car because the clutch was to long.... same as the regular stock clutch I had.

For 40 bucks or so put a 16 inch electric on, you can buy a thing at auto zone to turn on at any temp.

Hey guys, - they (Mopar) say the Viscous clutch set-up is worth "up-to" 15Hp, over a fixed flex.

Concept works on paper. Looks like real cheap Hp in my book.

Anyone done the swap, and noticed any gains?

Yeah, but it sure don't fit the price i'm after, they can KEEP IT!!

Can you get a thermostatic clutch fan setup much cheaper that's as good? Remember there's a viscous type setup (cheaper but not as good) and there's a thermostatic clutch type, like Mopar's. The thermostatic clutch is better because when it gets hot the thermostat enables the fan. That's how they get the 15 hp gain they claim. I run one on my Cuda and it works great. It's a real close fit though. The thermostatic switch on the front of the clutch is only about 1/2" away from the radiator so putting it on is real close. But once installed it works great.

The thermostatic clutch is better because when it gets hot the thermostat disables the fan.

This would be the other way around, when it gets hot it will "ingage" the fan to cool it.

I personally like centrifical clutches that work with RPM, i had one & it kept things cool.

This would be the other way around, when it gets hot it will "ingage" the fan to cool it.

I personally like centrifical clutches that work with RPM, i had one & it kept things cool.

Your right. I described it backwards. I knew how it worked, just made a mistake in writing it out. My error.

You can get the fan clutch kit from Mopar Performance,but I got $100 that says it will hit the radiator.The only thing you will be able to use is the fan.
Ask me how I know.....Errrr.

I use the Hayden clutch fan Mullinax suggested,with the MP fan. It has the shortest shaft of the clutch fans. It is listed for a Jag.Be ready to play some finger hockey to install it.

By the way I have a NEW Mopar Performance clutch fan,minus the fan if anybody is interested.

Your right. I described it backwards. I knew how it worked, just made a mistake in writing it out. My error.

I knew you probably crossed it by mistake, but i figured i'd "jack" with ya lol.

I run that mopar performance clutch/fan package. It is a lot lighter then a Hayden clutch and the fan is light too. A lot less stress on the water pump shaft not to mention freeing up some power. And my car runs nice and cool too. Not cheap but well worth the money. For what you get its a pretty good deal. I have plenty of room between fan clutch and factory 3 core radiator. I'll never use anything else.

Thats sux, i just called Mancini, it won't fit, there 4.7/8"

For 40 bucks or so put a 16 inch electric on, you can buy a thing at auto zone to turn on at any temp.

You might not believe me but I tried that and it didn't work out ..... the temps just kept climbing toward the 210 degree mark. The e-fan was mounted as a puller which suppose to be better than mounted as a pusher. This was using a stock radiator.

The only relief I got was to run a standard fan with steel fins (turns all of the time), bought a stock shroud, Griffin radiator, and install the e-fan as a pusher. The e-fan is used as backup purposes only. I can idle all day without running hot and stays around 190 max. I really believe the larger capacity radiator cured my over heating situation. I might could get away with a e-fan (as a puller) and the Griffin now but I'm leaving it well enough alone.

Sounded good to me.... lol!

Thats sux, i just called Mancini, it won't fit, there 4.7/8"

They are kind of long sure enough. That's almost 5" in my book.

The '70 and up SB used the aluminum water pump. The '69 and down used the cast iron. I believe the '70 and up stick out more hence less clearance.

Yep!

Mullina, i had the same problem, i bought an e-fan from autozone for my SB 73 dart, it was a Hayden, i installed it as a puller, the temp kept climbing up, so i found (got lucky) a fan/clutch essembly from an A body, it was used & still in good shape, after i installed it the car never got hot again, i could sit in traffic & it wouldn't go past 185*, so i'm a true believer in this set-up.

Mullina, i had the same problem, i bought an e-fan from autozone for my SB 73 dart, it was a Hayden, i installed it as a puller, the temp kept climbing up, so i found (got lucky) a fan/clutch essembly from an A body, it was used & still in good shape, after i installed it the car never got hot again, i could sit in traffic & it wouldn't go past 185*, so i'm a true believer in this set-up.

I can't remember exactly but the e-fan I have moves over 3500 CFM and it still lacked in keeping the motor cool enough. One thing to make note of is the air passing through the rad at speed with a e-fan goes everywhere.... through the fan, around the fan, sides of the rad. With a shroud the air is "funneled" directly on the block of the engine. A shroud plays a big role in engine cooling. I used to be a non believer that the shroud was kind of waste money but no longer. I really believe that a e- fan mounted as a puller centered in a shroud would be better.

-
Back