C'mon man

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was at a show this past weekend and although the Mopar crowd was scarce compared to the other manufacturers they did represent well.....I saw a beautiful 69 Road Runner that was an automatic on the column originally and was advertised as a 440. Not sure if it came with it or not but it was a good looking car. The issue I had was something I think would take a mechanically inclined person less than an hour to fix. Although it was an auto on the column it had a floor ratchet type shifter installed. The gear selector was still in place in the column along with the indicator for what gear you are in. To fix it right the column should be replaced but for c'mon man......at least remove the column gear selector.

The only reason I see to keep what they have the way it is, if is it's an all original car and they don't want to break, ruin, or loose original parts to the car.

I'd ask, you might get a story like "That's the way my dad set it up when he bought it new so he could race it on the weekend and switch over so mom could drive it during the week"

I have a Challenger that was originally column shifted... I'm gathering parts to swap in a TKX.. One of the first parts I got was the three column collars... They are currently out being powder coated....

I was always warned if you aren't using it you'll lose it... Well in this case it's needs to be removed, it won't fall off...

I left mine on and think it`s cool... :p

DSCF0008.JPG

I have a Challenger that was originally column shifted... I'm gathering parts to swap in a TKX.. One of the first parts I got was the three column collars... They are currently out being powder coated....

I was always warned if you aren't using it you'll lose it... Well in this case it's needs to be removed, it won't fall off...
Column shift E bodies are rare.

Column shift E bodies are rare.
Yeah, well it was originally a 6 cylinder car too.... But since I fixed that thirty years ago I started to do a 4 spd conversion back around 94 but wound up selling the car instead... Got it back last year & I still feel the car screams for a pistol grip & an extra pedal...

Yeah, well it was originally a 6 cylinder car too.... But since I fixed that thirty years ago I started to do a 4 spd conversion back around 94 but wound up selling the car instead... Got it back last year & I still feel the car screams for a pistol grip & an extra pedal...
Yup, pistol grip and clutch petal.

I was at a show this past weekend and although the Mopar crowd was scarce compared to the other manufacturers they did represent well.....I saw a beautiful 69 Road Runner that was an automatic on the column originally and was advertised as a 440. Not sure if it came with it or not but it was a good looking car. The issue I had was something I think would take a mechanically inclined person less than an hour to fix. Although it was an auto on the column it had a floor ratchet type shifter installed. The gear selector was still in place in the column along with the indicator for what gear you are in. To fix it right the column should be replaced but for c'mon man......at least remove the column gear selector.
Where was the show, I have a couple Mopar guys I grew up with there, & I've met a 3 more via this site.

Where was the show, I have a couple Mopar guys I grew up with there, & I've met a 3 more via this site.
The show was for the Barnum Festival and it was in Stevenson CT. Don't rat me out f it was your friends car...hahaha

Ha ha.
I’m sure it wasn’t. Most are over in eastern Ct. I ll be driving by on 84 on Sunday after Carlisle.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the only 440 Chrysler put in a 69 Road Runner was the 440-6 Barrell engine, & they are pretty hard to miss.

I remember people walking up to my car and questioning why I did everything the way I did it, basically being critical of a project car...'well...probably cuz it's my ******* car. You don't like a BMW radiator? I don't give a ****. You don't like my MSD box on the fender? kiss my ***.

I still have the auto column in yes I pulled the arm off of it but I have a good floor shift column for about 10 years and I'm just too busy to put it in.

.....I saw a beautiful 69 Road Runner that was an automatic on the column originally and was advertised as a 440. Not sure if it came with it or not .....

No Roadrunner ever came with a 440 4bbl. Only GTX's and Satellites (and I guess moredoor B bodies if you knew who to talk to) came with 440 4bbls. All Roadrunners up until ??73?? had ONLY 383, 426 hemi, and in 69 1/2 and later, the 440 6bbl. Lots of automatic 383 RR's had column shift. I don't know about 6bbl 440s

I remember people walking up to my car and questioning why I did everything the way I did it, basically being critical of a project car...'well...probably cuz it's my ******* car. You don't like a BMW radiator? I don't give a ****. You don't like my MSD box on the fender? kiss my ***.

I still have the auto column in yes I pulled the arm off of it but I have a good floor shift column for about 10 years and I'm just too busy to put it in.
Yeah, I remember people questioning why I did certain things on my car, and my response was simple: it's my car, I built it the way I wanted, with the parts and pieces I wanted, or had at the time. Don't like it? **** off and go build your own.

I understand not finding the correct column for a floor shift column and i'm sure its not cheap but to take the arm off wont cost anything except time and it would make the interior look so much better. To each his own.

Yeah, that is pretty lazy. Maybe he hasn’t gotten around to getting the floor shifter hooked up yet.

I understand not finding the correct column for a floor shift column and i'm sure its not cheap but to take the arm off wont cost anything except time and it would make the interior look so much better. To each his own.
He might not want to take a hammer and a punch to it and might have plans for it in another car or just wanted to try out the floor shift who knows either way he's got a hole in the floor ..so but nothing personal just letting you know that kind of irritates a lot of us. The car is an expression of ourselves and say...if I got a hole in my jeans, then my car might also have the arm left on the column or some faded paint or primer some where.
You find it lazy. That's cool. You're entitled to your opinion...but that's all it is.

Seen 2 of them, both 318 cars, and both 1970 models.
Granddads neighbor was converting a 340 column shift to a floor shift for his wife when he passed, she said she preferred the floor shift in Cudas.
She daily drove a 71 cuda 383 auto bill board car, original paint, rubber bumpers, year round, until the rust got it.

Post some pics of yours... I'll get out my "comb" and nit pick for lice. I've put up with similar... "that's just wrong " for 45 some years and my Bee was my Father's before me. Correct to the last bolt and someone's never happy.

-
Back