Coin guys, have a question for you.

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
If you had a bag of silver dimes, lets say around 4000 dimes.

What would be the best way to liquidate them?

Just cash them is as dimes?
Sell for the weight of the silver?
Sort by date, condition, and look for rare ones?

Not that much of a coin collector, but I vote option 3. Some could be very valuable. If you have a coin shop local, they may be willing to go through them for you.

Not that much of a coin collector, but I vote option 3. Some could be very valuable. If you have a coin shop local, they may be willing to go through them for you.
Call me paranoid but I wouldn't let a coin shop go through them for me LOL those places can be Shady.

Aloha, As I am a Gold/Silver buyer . I would say the later. Pull out any Merc. or Barber dimes and or Key dates. Then sell the rest as silver. Or sell to Me ! I buy anything pre 64 date ! Let me know if I can be of any help, Mahalo C

Step 1) Sort by date, condition, and look for rare ones.

Step 2) With what's left, sell for the weight of the silver.

I would research collectible dimes and check them. Have a good magnifying glass handy.

Call my dad in Longmont. He'll buy em and he won't yank your chain or try to rip you off

Get a 10x magnifying glass, a coin book, and separate the older/ rarer coins . Keep in mind if you grade the coins yourself you still need to know what to look for as far as wear points. Coins are like car parts. The better, rarer ones are worth more than the well worn ones .Good luck .

Current silver melt price on silver dimes is around $1 each.

Value on circulated non-rare dimes is around $2 each.

Rare coins can be worth more, Mercury dimes tend to be around $4 each for circulated non-rare coins.

Before I got burglarized, I had the coin hobby. There are a few dimes that are worth a couple hundred thousand dollars. You need to check them out.

4000 would be very difficult to sort, but over a hundr d of those dimes might be worth $5 or more.

I would take it slow, view it as treasure hunting, maybe sort 20 or so at a time. Look online for collectors in a forum like ours.

I hope you strike it rich!

condition and rarity rule. Funny thing is, a coin doesn't even have to be old to be valuable. a top grade 5 step nickel can be valuable, even if it's only a few years old.

They say we all have paid 50 bucks for a can of pop at one point in our lives. We all handle too much change to not have handled a double stamped penny, or whatever.

I have a small coin collection, but I know nothing of what i'm looking at :D

just dont coin-star them.....:lol:

I got a butt load of stamps from my pre teen collector years. have not looked at those in 37 years...$$$?

condition and rarity rule. Funny thing is, a coin doesn't even have to be old to be valuable. a top grade 5 step nickel can be valuable, even if it's only a few years old.

They say we all have paid 50 bucks for a can of pop at one point in our lives. We all handle too much change to not have handled a double stamped penny, or whatever.

I have a small coin collection, but I know nothing of what i'm looking at :D

are any of them like the land of lakes girl, where you get two of em and you see boobies?

-
Back