Collaborative early a experiment

-
Maybe this info will help. I have a 65 valiant/signet. Im putting a single turbo on it with reversed magnum manifolds. I will reinstall them at proper orientation to see uf they fit, but reversed they are close. The big obstacle is the steering coupler. I have a manual box. I shimmed the engine, both sides about 0.75". I think if i had a generic u-joint type coupler with a lower profile I could avoid shimmimg.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 247
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 256
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 266
Maybe this info will help. I have a 65 valiant/signet. Im putting a single turbo on it with reversed magnum manifolds. I will reinstall them at proper orientation to see uf they fit, but reversed they are close. The big obstacle is the steering coupler. I have a manual box. I shimmed the engine, both sides about 0.75". I think if i had a generic u-joint type coupler with a lower profile I could avoid shimmimg.

The casting number on the manifolds is very important because they made a few different castings for the magnum engines. Some are much bigger at the outlet (and thicker on the cross section). Yes, some members have used a smaller coupling to help the steering clear the manifold!!
If you can post the manifold casting numbers it would be great and I'm sure everyone appreciates the info that you're providing.

thanks,
treblig

The casting number on the manifolds is very important because they made a few different castings for the magnum engines. Some are much bigger at the outlet (and thicker on the cross section). Yes, some members have used a smaller coupling to help the steering clear the manifold!!
If you can post the manifold casting numbers it would be great and I'm sure everyone appreciates the info that you're providing.

thanks,
treblig
I was going to mention that and totally forgot. I dont have the casting #s handy but these are the Ebay small outlet models. 1 7/8. They are probably Chinese mfr.

OK....Here's an update courtesy of "acmesler" (FABO Texas member). He purchased a large hole Dakota driver and large hole 360 magnum passenger manifold set for his early A. As it turned out the Dakota manifold won't fit in an early A with a 4 speed (or 3 speed manual trans). The Dakota driver's manifold down pipe will not clear the Z bar. I imagine it would work in an early A with a hydraulic clutch??? He did say that the Dakota driver should fit an early A with an automatic trans and manual steering, although steering shaft mods will be required. I told him to return the Dakota manifold and I would refund his money. He wants to keep the passenger side 360 manifold and will wait for a late 60s 340 driver (which I will find for him). The passenger side large hole magnum does fit without much problem at all (minor removal of casting triangle or casting numbers).
So, as it stands, a 360 magnum large hole passenger manifold will absolutely fit an early A.
A large hole Dakota driver will not fit in an early A with a manual transmission (factory type clutch).

I will do my best to update this thread as I get more info from other members.

Treblig

-
Back