Column Shift Linkage

-

73NorthernDuste

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am swapping out my /6 for a 360. The engine I obtained had a 727 with it. I know if I keep the 727 I will have to shorten my drive shaft when switching from my current 904, but I have also read that the some of the column shift linkage parts will not fit right. Namely the cross shaft and the trans adjuster rod.

Has anyone done this swap and know if I can make my current parts work or does anyone have the right parts to make it work? My car is a 73 Duster original /6 with column shift auto. Thanks In advance

Brent

Hi i will be doing the same switch identical to yours,hopefully in the next couple of weeks,everythings ready to drop in, i will let you know what i run into. Or if you get yours in ,let me know the outcome..thxs

I did this switch in my 69 Dart.. and we did have to modify the column shift linkage a bit.. but that was over 4 years ago, and I cant remember exactly what we had to do anymore.. lol.. (sorry im not much help here) but I do remember it wasnt anything difficult or major..

Hello northernduster,
I was using all the linkages which was 6cly 904 colum shift,trying to adapt to the small block/727. none of these linkages will work, maybe if i had the tranny tab and the frame tab ( which the crosss linkage fits into)of a 73 small block duster (original 727 colum shift)the cross linkage may have worked. But I will be looking for a complete set of linkages for my duster,right from the select shifter and passing gear ears on tranny to the steering colum tab and also the kick down linkage from the carb to trans, for my conversion to work. Let me know how you make out with your conversion... cheers mickey

Good Luck All,

I'm in the same boat. I just dropped a 360/727 combo into my 72' Duster last weekend and the shift linkage had to go. Looks like I'll be visiting the Lokar Website in the not-too-distant future, unless I can track down the OEM 4 bbl kickdown linkage and a new throttle cable somewhere around here in Northern California.

By the way, I'm converting to a floor shift setup too. Already have the center console and most of the linkage. Just little bits and pieces still needed.

Let me know what you guys end up with and I'll do the same.

Good Luck,

To all ouy you.....I hope you get rid of the 7 1/4 rear end.

It can break with very little abuse.

Well I talked to a few people one said it would work with the original shifter linkage and some said it wouldn't. I guess there are too many different combo's out there some work some don't.

I just got a SB 904 and will rebuild that. According to the numbers in my parts book the SB 904 linkage and the Slant 6 linkage both use the same parts. Plus I won't have to shorten my drive shaft or get a new slip yoke. I have a three piece kickdown that should work and if not I've got the Lokar kickdown just in case. Just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can go out in the garage without freezing to death. LOL

Good Luck with all the swaps I expect to see pictures when you are done.

Brent

yellowdartdave 8 3/4 posi and driveshaft for the combo all in, just have to track down shifter linkage for a 4bbl,V8,727 colum shift. I believe most 318 cars had a 904 trans in 1973 cars, not sure if all 1973 cars with 360 had 727 or was it 904. probally earlier years with same combo iam after would work hoping someone will chim in. Thxs

I did use the Z bar type shifting linkage of the six cly, just had to make fabricate the tab which goes on the ear of the tranny,your old tab will work if you redrill the bolt hole and put the bolt hole in the opposite way, it did work out OK for me, But you have to use the two piece kickdown linkage, this linkage bolts into the 9/16 screwin hole it is above the ear tab for the shifting linkage, two other rod branch off it ,the rod going up the fire wall and the other goes to the kickdown lever on the trans. gl

-
Back