Commando heads. Anyone used them?

-
Please post up you finding as you go down the "Commando" Road!

It was the valve shrouding that hurt low lift flow in a big way. IIRC, the heads were NOT fully ported and flowed 300 cfm or more.

And yet i have heared talk that un shrounding the valve can cause the air speed to go to fast around the ssr, At high lift, in that area, aka turbulance.
And with my experamental head i found it to be so. could have been the :violent1: with the grinder as well :D

IMO, Chrysler hobbles MP via high prices, receiving poor materials, bad media, bad public info regarding there stuff and the thing that blew my mind when I went for a W5 head years back, no intakes to fit it. You had to purchase there non fitting W5 intake and cut it up in order to fit it to the heads!

Now, WTF is that!!!????????

Chrysler / MP need to get out there and constantly be out there hawking, selling and informing people of there stuff. They need the ability to sell it cheaply, competitively at a low price.

Anytime I went to a dealer for a set of heads, they were looking to charge me the equal price of a set of Edelbrock heads for only one of there's bare.
(F%*K OFF!)

AMEN! ! !

It's the cam more than anything holding you back... Not only the heads IMO. That's no duration for a 4" arm and I'd expect it to shut off at 5500. You have to keep in mind that these have 8% more stroke than the 440. And the stroke is what gives the engine its "spirit". A 241 @ .050 cam in a 440 is a mild to medium street cam. I normally use cams in the 250 @ .050 range and those power curves peak and drop around 5800 and that's with 870cfm wet flowed carbs (they are not under-carbed). While I agree with 1Wild says with them being too small, you have left a lot on the table with that camshaft. If you want to make power at 6500, you do need more head, but you need WAY more camshaft.

yep, totally.
thats why i included the cam i was using.

Please post up you finding as you go down the "Commando" Road!

And yet i have heared talk that un shrounding the valve can cause the air speed to go to fast around the ssr, At high lift, in that area, aka turbulance.
And with my experamental head i found it to be so. could have been the :violent1: with the grinder as well :D

Just under the ssr, or the straight wall near the chamber edge?
i remember this too, and when i blended the lip/vj to the chamber roof more...the high lift fell off and the low lift went up...especially the .200 lift flow

Yeah the straight wall in the combustion chamber.
Thats when my port when to hell :banghead::sign6::D

Yeah the straight wall in the combustion chamber.
Thats when my port when to hell :banghead::sign6::D

so the wall took over huh?
yanked the most of the turn with it ya think?

how tall did u leave the short turn?

i want to do just the wall/guide/roof/bowl sometime and leave the short turn stock....then slowly work the turn lil bit at a time
the thought/idea is that the steeper the turn the better/harder it's pulled/controled and will/might override the wall/unshrouding

that air just LOVES to go straight.lol

I have noticed, n general most places will sell the fully assembled Super Commando head @ around $1100 or so. After porting them, the head becomes worth it.

so the wall took over huh?
yanked the most of the turn with it ya think?

how tall did u leave the short turn?

i want to do just the wall/guide/roof/bowl sometime and leave the short turn stock....then slowly work the turn lil bit at a time
the thought/idea is that the steeper the turn the better/harder it's pulled/controled and will/might override the wall/unshrouding

that air just LOVES to go straight.lol

I will pm ya or better yet e-mail ya.
getting this thread off topic from original post:-k

$1400 each!? WOW! and YIKES! But I guess that is the, "Ya wanna play, ya gotta pay" issue cropping up.
Commando heads assembled @ that price?

yes the super commando heads, part number p5153850 i can get for $970 assembled....employment connections

Nice price. Wish I had some cash and your connection.

well i got these bad boys in hand finally, 2.08 valves! the dishes completely overlap only a few thou clearance. and they came with the intake and exhaust ports already opened up, you can clearly see the die grinder marks clean through the runner.
they appear pretty awesome. now i'll just figure out this rocker mystery and be on my way to assembly after the block is finished! i'm going to order the W2 setup from crane and pray i can get away with crane golds instead of the mopar rockers that they charge the typical extra $500 for!
i'll keep updated as to the progress. anyone have any questions now that i have a legit instruction sheet in my hand with info and can actually touch the things?

Folks-dont get me wrong, im sure they are great heads!, but why the gap in the ends of the commando heads, it just dont look right. Can we not have a good looking head along with performance also? And dont say who cares about looks, when it would cost the same to manufacture im sure.

-
Back