Comp XE268H v Crow 18619 - 318

-

Barra_67

Reaction score
Hi all,
I know cam comparisons have probably been done to death but I'll start another one. :)

Looking at cam options for what will be a freshly built 318. This will be in a street car, weekend cruiser. Will have around 10:1 comp (probably touch under) with aluminium heads. 904 auto with 2500 stall.

I know there are a few variables such as carb, intake, headers, exhaust, diff ratio etc but wondering how the below compares in terms of how they perform.

cams.jpg

[1] I have had a custom ground cams from Crow. Never again. Measurements did not match the cam card. In fairness, I believe there are new owners...
[2] Comp wins hand down. Less adv duration for better idle quality & more lift.

You will get LOTS of replies. I have always had great results with Isky cams. Some DOPE will probably reply like he did in another thread about how Isky cams cost more, same cores etc. There are only two or three companies making the cores & they get supplied to all the companies. Maybe Isky charges more because of better quality control so that their cams do not fail.....
I would recommend the Isky 270 Mega. Single pattern, as are the MP cams. Read the Isky Tech tips. Is extra exh duration necessary?

. Is extra exh duration necessary?

I have no idea to be honest?
Is there a billet equivalent (not that I need billet) to the comp XE268H or a retro fit hydraulic roller similar?

I found this on the Isky 270.
  • Mega-Cams™
  • Hyd.
  • Valve Lift Int/Ext. 0.465
  • Valve Lash Hot Int/Ext. 0.000
  • ADV Duration Int/Ext. 270
  • 0.050 Duration Int/Ext. 221
  • Lobe Center 108

Both of those cams are garbage but i'd take the comp cam out of those two choices.

As mentioned above, i'd run 1.6 rockers with those cams

any other recommendations?

Specific cams? Off hand no. I often call and have one cut now.

If you are looking for an off the shelf cam for a street use car, i'd be looking for something in the 220-230 duration range, over 500 lift and most likely a 112-114 LSA unless you are running low compression, in which case i'd pull back on that number to help your cylinder pressure. I also don't know what type of idle you want and what street use means to you. I also preffer roller cams over flats these days and I almost always run solid lifters unless it's in a car that is hard to adjust due to space or the guy just refuses to do it once a year.

Last edited:
Specific cams? Off hand no. I often call and have one cut now.

If you are looking for an off the shelf cam for a street use car, i'd be looking for something in the 220-230 duration range, over 500 lift and most likely a 100-114 LSA unless you are running low compression, in which case i'd pull back on that number to help your cylinder pressure. I also don't know what type of idle you want and what street use means to you. I also preffer roller cams over flats these days and I almost always run solid lifters unless it's in a car that is hard to adjust due to space or the guy just refuses to do it once a year.
Thanks for that. A lumpy idle is ideal for me. Street use is a Sunday cruise with lumpy idle.

Being your running aluminum heads and will be running adjustable rockers, I would be leaning hard towards a solid lifter cam. But that Isky 270 would be my choice without knowing gearing and tire height. The 2500 stall is a step in the right direction, though.

Last edited:
how about this cam? says it's in stock even.......
Street Master Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam - Chrysler 273-360 275/275

Hydraulic Flat Tappet. Good cam for mild high performance applications with 340-360 c.i. motors. Needs headers, 9.5:1 compression ratio and 3.50 gearing. Fair idle. ;Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 275/275 ;Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 225/225 ;Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .477/.477 ;LSA/ICL: 108 ;Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd ;RPM Range: 1800-5800 ;Includes: Cam Only

That cam would be good if he’s going to run 3.55 gears.

Really weak on lift. Even with a 1.6 rocker that is insufficient.

[1] I have had a custom ground cams from Crow. Never again. Measurements did not match the cam card. In fairness, I believe there are new owners...
[2] Comp wins hand down. Less adv duration for better idle quality & more lift.

the duration at 050 is almost the same, but advertised is way less on the comp which shows the typical comp cams quick ramp rates (Chevy grind I call it). The other one would probably be better of the two in my opinion.

if the OP really wants a good camshaft contact and order from Hughes…. They are mopar only, and experts at it. Call them, talk about your set up, and ask what they recommend.
https://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php

Good luck

the duration at 050 is almost the same, but advertised is way less on the comp which shows the typical comp cams quick ramp rates (Chevy grind I call it). The other one would probably be better of the two in my opinion.

if the OP really wants a good camshaft contact and order from Hughes…. They are mopar only, and experts at it. Call them, talk about your set up, and ask what they recommend.
https://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php

Good luck

The best engine builder on this site uses comp cams.

The way you compare the ramps on two cams that have the same duration @.050 is to look at the lift at another set point, i.e. [email protected], .015, etc. The advertised duration might as well not exist. It's all but useless. My comp cam had a milder ramp angle than the Isky alternative and it was chosen because it had a milder ramp. Also, if we are talking stock flat tappets, the mopar lifter has a larger diameter, which is what people talk about when they get into this chevy cam / mopar cam BS.

I've heard plenty of complaints about Hughes, and many others. I.e. I've had issues with Crane and MPP. Is Hughes cutting those cams in house? Who is cutting them for them and who designed them? Who's cores are they?

I just used a Howard's cam and made 575hp and 550tq in a mild street engine. I use a comp cam in my current car, have used Isky, Crane and MPP purple cams as well.

The most important thing is a good core, cut correctly, to the specs the owner needs.

Last edited:
The best engine builder on this site uses comp cams.

The way you compare the ramps on two cams that have the same duration @.020 is to look at the lift at another set point, i.e. [email protected], .15, etc. The advertised duration might as well not exist. It's all but useless.

I've heard plenty of complaints about Hughes, and many others. I.e. I've had issues with Crane and MPP. Is Hughes cutting those cams in house? Who is cutting them for them and who designed them? Who's cores are they?

I just used a Howard's cam and made 575hp and 550tq in a mild street engine. I use a comp cam in my current car, have used Isky, Crane and MPP purple cams as well.

The most important thing is a good core, cut correctly, to the specs the owner needs.

who’s the best engine builder on this site?

-
Back