Compound problems

-

JLDupreeIII

Reaction score
I got some electrical problems but I do not know where to start... The previous owner of my 72 Duster did allot of shoddy wiring, while I was driving the main positive battery cable burned out at a point where he had made a crappy splice. Fixed that up and as it turned out a voltage spike or something had burned up my Ign control module, so I replaced that as well.

Now it will fire up but I must jump start it, once started it does not hold a charge and will drive ok for a while then it must be jumped again. Also, what really ticks me off, my guages peg out anytime it has enough juice to run them.

I am thinking that I should replace the cheap battery it has, and maybe the alternator. I could understand a voltage spike burning out electrical components like the module but I cannot see how it could have damaged my alternator? Also, my guess is that the guages are pegging because the voltage regulator has gone out, hopefully they are not damaged.

What do ya'll think? What amperage alternator is OK on a stock harness? I like to run an electric fan and my stereo so a boost might be good? Are there two voltage regulators? Which would most likely be bad? My alternator has 3 wires going to it but Autozone only seems to sell them with one or two wires... whats up with that?

You might want to get a FSM and repair the wiring harnesses before you burn the thing to the ground.

there is a gauge voltage regulator on the back of the cluster. It can send full battery voltage to your gauges and fry them.

if its as cutup and spliced as bad as sum iv seen the best thing to do is unplug it at the fire wall and replace the holething inside and out then you know what you have.thats my thought.

It is spliced up pretty bad, I bypassed the ammeter and had to patch a few wires leading through the firewall. One is a red wire that seems to be carrying allot of current, the gauge wire it is in doesn't seem appropriate for the load.

Any suggestions on what engine/front end harness to use? Repro ones are pretty expensive from year one, how are the painless wiring ones? Is there anything special I would need to do to use a universal harness?

It is spliced up pretty bad, I bypassed the ammeter and had to patch a few wires leading through the firewall. One is a red wire that seems to be carrying allot of current, the gauge wire it is in doesn't seem appropriate for the load.

Any suggestions on what engine/front end harness to use? Repro ones are pretty expensive from year one, how are the painless wiring ones? Is there anything special I would need to do to use a universal harness?

http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html

You can get everything you need and more with the 21 circuit... you can always go with the smaller ones. It's EZ to install.... I wired the entire car myself.

Those look pretty EZ to use, does anybody have any experience with Evans wiring harnesses? I would not have to upgrade any components to use these harnesses right? Meaning voltage regulators, ignition components, etc...

Those look pretty EZ to use, does anybody have any experience with Evans wiring harnesses? I would not have to upgrade any components to use these harnesses right? Meaning voltage regulators, ignition components, etc...

Nope.... just wire up your stock stuff. If you go this route contact me and I will give you some tricks that will help you out.

I happen to agree that using the stock wiring isn't bad if it's all correct. A few mods are in order however if you want full voltage to headlights and other stuff. I'd bypass the ammeter, fix the fat red wire connection at the firewall and run the output of the alternator direct to the battery terminal of the starter relay. Check out this link for details...

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

I also would add headlight relays so you get full voltage to the headlights, it makes a big difference.

Well, I am strapped for cash right now with a new baby and everything so here is what I did do a bout a week ago and she is goin strong.

First off I pulled the old harness out and cleaned it up, went around with a multimeter and check all my wires, cleaned up all connections on the harness and at the firewall, then cleaned up all the grounds. I replaced the battery cable altogether, then I got rid of the old battery which was old to begin with.

The car was still not charging so I took a gamble and replaced the voltage regulator instead of the alternator. Worked like a charm. Then I pulled my instrument cluster out, I had already bypassed the ammeter before because it got real hot one day and I could smell smoke coming from it. So I got to take a good look at it and from what I could tell it was heating up because it did not have a good connection. So I cleaned up the contacts with my dremel and put some grease over it to stem further corrosion.

I made the 5v IC regulator as described on Moparts and hooked that up. Then replaced all my bulbs while I was in there. Put it all back together and I honestly feel as though she is running better now than she ever has in the 8 months I've owned her. All my gauges work great, no charging issues, all seems to be going pretty good.

The next thing I plan on doing is the direct connection to the battery, and pulling the dash harness to get rid of all the extra crap the PO had stuffed under there. Thanks for the help ya'll.

You mentioned Evans wiring harness. I don't personally have experience with them but I remember a post about a year ago when one of our members put in a new Evans harness and couldn't get the car to start. After hours of tracing they found one of the plug pins going into the ECU was missing so there was no connection. They called Evans and he was a smart axx with them and told them there was no warranty with that part cause he didn't make the plug. Not good service if you ask me. JMHO

I do agree it sounds like you need a new harness before you burn it down. You might be able to find a good used one rather than spend money on a new one. Post a want ad in the want ad section.

Thanks for the Evans info. We have several members in the CPOC (DC Metro area Chrysler Owners Club) that have Evans replacement wiring, and with no issues. Sometimes people do make mistakes, but as you correctly point out, it's all about how problems are handled and ultimately resolved.

Thanks for the Evans info. We have several members in the CPOC (DC Metro area Chrysler Owners Club) that have Evans replacement wiring, and with no issues. Sometimes people do make mistakes, but as you correctly point out, it's all about how problems are handled and ultimately resolved.

Your right. Sometimes mistakes do happen to even the best. Heck I even made one once. LOL :toothy10:

-
Back