compression ratio to cylinder psi

-

73dodgearcher

Reaction score
Good afternoon every body, this is my first post with fabo and I was wondering if there is a way I could figure out my compression ratio from my cylinder psi. My motor is a 360.

Probably not unless it is dead stock. Because a 12:1 engine might have 150 PSI and an 8.5 engine might have 170 PSI. Cylinder pressure and compression ratio are related, but not "connected" you might say.

Yup, and cam selection plays a big part of it too.

if you knew when the intake valve closed couldnt you reverse calculate your way into a close guestimate? just thinking out loud here

Rebuilt 360

340 j heads ported w/ 2.08 intake and 1.62 exhaust valves

mp 528 cam

Kb flat tops

Eddy performer rpm intake

that is all the info got on this motor. Thanks

if you knew when the intake valve closed couldnt you reverse calculate your way into a close guestimate? just thinking out loud here

Nope. How is that going to tell piston head volume, combustion chamber volume, deck clearance and a myriad of other variables? The only way for sure to be accurate with an unknown combination is to disassemble and measure. If it has strong cylinder pressure, that just means it's in good shape and a good combination. That's no indicator of static compression ratio whatsoever.

Rebuilt 360

340 j heads ported w/ 2.08 intake and 1.62 exhaust valves

mp 528 cam

Kb flat tops

Eddy performer rpm intake

that is all the info got on this motor. Thanks

If you can provide a piston part number, we can probably get a fairly close guess. If it is the KB107, you could have from 8.8 to 11.1. Get number one plug out and get a compression reading. With the info we have now, we can give you a good guess with the compression pressure. Why didn't you give us all that to begin with? lol

My guess is that with "only" 157 PSI, no extra machine work was done such as block decking or head milling. IMO, it probably has 8.8-9.1 static compression. I also think that if that cylinder pressure is correct, a smaller camshaft would provide a power increase by increasing cylinder pressure. That said, it's probably a pretty nice little combo for a street motor. How does it run?

It sounds great. I hope to have it out on the track in 3 to 4 weeks. I will keep you posted. Thank you strokerscamp. For your input

No problem. I wouldn't really worry too much about numbers. If you're happy with how it runs, that's all that counts. That's a great cam you have in it.

-
Back