considering a 72 scamp

-

jpywell52

Reaction score
Hello forum folk,

I'm the current owner/ restorer of a 79' jeep cj7 and chevy van. I'm considering the purchase of a 72 plymouth scamp from an associate to replace the van as a daily driver. this is a rust-free car. interior in great shape. but bunches of shallow dents from god-knows-what. its got the slant six with a 3spd toqueflight. I'm wondering what kind of mileage i can expect on the highway if i drive it conservatively. I know this is a loaded question, but i'm considering it for a weekend cruiser to the lake and family outside the city and want to know if its gonna be a gas hog. Also, has anyone swapped an overdrive unit into a valiant of this vintage?

Cheers.

welcome, get the scamp take pics and show it to us. Scamps are awesome.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll get some pictures this weekend when I'm at the shop. I'm working on a '79 CJ and the scamp is parked int eh same garage. It's been taunting me for months. The interior is in great shape, black vinyl, bench seats. The body is rust free but its got a dent in pretty much every panel, but since the whole thing is straight lines it shouldn't be too bad to clean up. Current owner is someone I know, and she's in no hurry to move it but the price is pretty nice, 1200. It runs and drives but the brakes are real grabby, i'm thinking brake booster? and it definitely needs a tune up, takes a while to get it started on starting fluid but once it warms up its ok. its been sitting in this garage for over a year now so that can't be helping it.

i'll get some pics this weekend. friend is asking 1200 for it. no rust but plenty of dents. interior is in great shape. starts and runs but seems like the carb needs to be gone through or possibly the choke is not operating. also brakes are very grabby, maybe needs a new brake booster.

any thoughts on an overdrive for this car? i'm hoping to make it a a good, "weekend trip to the mountains" car aiming for mid 20mpg.

and another thing...

these scamps have torsion bar suspension correct? so lowering should be pretty simple correct?

I would think it should deliver low 20's on the highway, but a lot of things can bring the mileage down on an old car. Dragging brakes, front end out of alignment, engine needing tune up and / or worn out. If the car is in excellent mechanical shape it should deliver pretty good gas mileage. You might have to spend quite a bit to get it to that point, however. Not knowing the car I can't say how this one will do in its present condition.

Okay. got pictures of the scamp finally. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy it. Needs body work (only hammer and dolly work, there's no panel replacement AT ALL) but all in all its a pretty sweep sled. Cant say no to the black vinyl bench seats, slick lines and cheap parts. Its going to be a fun little summer ride while i get the jeep finished and for days too rainy for the chopper.

60587326@N06

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/60587326@N06/5524202901/"]20110313_0071 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5173/5524202901_66db1b5761_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@5524202901@@AMEPARAM@@66db1b5761[/ame]

she needs dolly work and some tune up. Maybe a brake booster, maybe some front suspension work. Maybe the tranny needs some work, but it runs and drives. and its all in all rust free. Also the interior is in great shape.

OK, i keep trying to post some words to. guess i need to wait a few minutes. Anyway, this car is all in all in great condition, no rust other than surface rust except one spot at the rear window under the top. Needs a tune up, maybe a carb rebuild, maybe some front end work. Definitely needs a brake booster as the brakes are super grabby. Its got fresh tires and new shocks in a box in the trunk. I'm pretty sure i'll buy it as it will make a great daily driver and out to the lake house car for the weekends while i finish up my jeep and for days too wet for the chopper or when i need to give a girl a ride ;)

Let me know what y'all think. Its only 1200 bucks and i know the seller so i know i'm not getting screwed.

anything solid in our area is worth $1200, if it runs and drives it a screaming deal.

good to know its a good deal. Anyone in the new york metro area want to buy a 1991 chevy van? new tranny, newish motor. great for moving crap around.

-
Back