console question

-

KINGERIKSDUST

KINGERIKSBLUEDUST
Reaction score
so im trying to take out the console in my duster auto and i cant figure out how to get the knob off. i twisted it for ever and the button just rose. i dont know what to do i did it once and have fergotten how to remove it.

ALSO when my car isidoling for a while then i check the oil smoke or steam or somthing comes from the dip hole.....how bad of a thing is that?

To get the shifter knob off, loosen the allen screw first. Hold the knob and the black button at the same time and turn counter clockwise until it unscrews. Make sure you hold onto the button or at the end it will spring and fly off.

question #1-did you remove the set screw from below the handle? that will allow the handle to come off.

question #2- smoke out of the dipstick usually means blowby into the crankcase.

yea i suppose i just didnt turn it enough.

and what is blowby and should i stop it somehow?
im new to the world of engines.....thank god for forums!

Natural wear and tear dont worry till the motor smokes or knocks. a pcv valve will pull this out of the crankcase and reburn it . is your valve covers vented or do you have a pcv? if not you,ll blow seals and start leaking oil.

If the knob keeps turning but wont come loose it is coming unthreaded on the bottom end where it threads into the lever that rides in the grooves that you feel when you are shifting.try turning it as tight as you can with out breaking it , then try to take it back off it may come loose on the top end.

The cable that runs thru the shifter is 1 piece and threaded on the bottom and the top. There's only about 10 threads to unscrew. The cable can't be broken or the knob would lift off.

Try what snewpy says. Screw it back together and try again. Make sure you are unscrewing the knob with the button at the same time.

-
Back