Contemplating a new (ish) direction

-

Mean416

Reaction score
So I've been going back and forth now forever on my build, and to be honest I really just want to get it put together. I really want to go turbo but it's not realistically in the picture to go that route at this juncture. Also, I already have a combination of parts that I can basically put together without spending any more money (besides the nickel and diming which I completely expect).

This is the ride. It's a fairly solid roller.

IMG_20230429_174115.jpg

I have two stroker SB engines. One's a 408, with lower compression, that I was considering for turbo. But that's off' the table for now and I'm tired of not having a Mopar to drive. The other is a 418 (.080 over 340 with a 4" stroke). This one has flat tops and with my heads will be about 11.9:1 compression.

The rest of the combo as it currently sits is as follows:

Basically box stock Edelbrock heads. A little mild blending in the bowls but very little. I'd really love to get them ported but it's really not happening right now.
I have a lunati hyd flat tappet. Would definitely prefer a solid roller but I don't want to pour money into block prep and parts for solid roller. If I'm porting and solid roller I might as well just turbo the other engine and make serious power. I can do that later on. I might be convinced to go with a different cam but nothing requiring a whole sale new valvetrain. The cam I have is the voodoo 60405 242/252, 533/552, 110
Other valvetrain bits'
Hughes rocker arms, 1.6
Beehive valve springs
Quality other supporting bits.

Scat Forged crank and I beam rods, icon forged pistons
M1 intake, basically stock
I have an air gap I could use as well.
750 race demon carburetor
Hedman hussler 1-7/8 headers
Custom Hughes converter, 4200 stall, set up for nitrous use.
Gears TBD. Not sure what is on the car now. I'll probably run a spool.

That's the rough combo as it sits. Car is pretty stripped down so it's going to be fairly light.

I am fully aware it's not the ideal combination of parts. If you guys were to suggest changes to improve the combo what would it be?

For instance I did consider going to a solid flat tappet cam. I'd think about something like that if it would work with the rest of the valvetrain.

What do you think the ET capabilities would be with this setup?

Thanks fellas.

What's the static compression one the "low compression" engine?

I just wanted to state your car is badass. It with be kool no matter what one ya pick. Still be kool with a stock six.

How much boost are you thinking of? 14.7 basically doubles NA power, less is a fraction eg. 5 psi is about 1/3, 1.33 x na etc...

More than anything will this have a license plate on it ..?? What fuel..?? Otherwise yes stick the compression to it..!! (If no turbo) and go solid on the cam..!! Let er eat..!! Car just looks KILLER..Swingn’

What's the static compression one the "low compression" engine?
I don't know 100% for sure but i ran the endoscope to look and they appear to be the 20cc dishes which puts it in the 9s compression wise. That motor also has stock Edelbrock heads.

How much boost are you thinking of? 14.7 basically doubles NA power, less is a fraction eg. 5 psi is about 1/3, 1.33 x na etc...
Yeah I know the math on the subject. It's a pretty easy to just add boost to the 400 horse 408 and call it a day. I could easily get to 800 hp. That's really why I find it hard to justify spending big bucks on heads and valvetrain. Might as well get the turbo setup, which would blow away anything I came up with NA. I just can't spend that time and money right now though.

With the stock Eddies, does it make sense to consider different cams? I think I could swing going to a solid flat tappet setup if it had significant gains. However I wonder if the cam would do much for me with the heads being the choke point?

I suggested less time "vastly" over thinking it and much more time driving it...
Put any carb ya got on it you can always take the four nuts off and change it five times a day....
My-2....

What are the plans for the car? That’s what would help me decide which way I would continue to build it. If you just want a cruiser, stick the low comp 408 in it and go have a good time. If you’d like to race it and actually go fast then the high compression 418 on e85 with boost is the direction I’d go. Make a plan, stick to the plan, execute the plan.

So I've been going back and forth now forever on my build, and to be honest I really just want to get it put together. I really want to go turbo but it's not realistically in the picture to go that route at this juncture. Also, I already have a combination of parts that I can basically put together without spending any more money (besides the nickel and diming which I completely expect).

This is the ride. It's a fairly solid roller.

View attachment 1716155786

I have two stroker SB engines. One's a 408, with lower compression, that I was considering for turbo. But that's off' the table for now and I'm tired of not having a Mopar to drive. The other is a 418 (.080 over 340 with a 4" stroke). This one has flat tops and with my heads will be about 11.9:1 compression.

The rest of the combo as it currently sits is as follows:

Basically box stock Edelbrock heads. A little mild blending in the bowls but very little. I'd really love to get them ported but it's really not happening right now.
I have a lunati hyd flat tappet. Would definitely prefer a solid roller but I don't want to pour money into block prep and parts for solid roller. If I'm porting and solid roller I might as well just turbo the other engine and make serious power. I can do that later on. I might be convinced to go with a different cam but nothing requiring a whole sale new valvetrain. The cam I have is the voodoo 60405 242/252, 533/552, 110
Other valvetrain bits'
Hughes rocker arms, 1.6
Beehive valve springs
Quality other supporting bits.

Scat Forged crank and I beam rods, icon forged pistons
M1 intake, basically stock
I have an air gap I could use as well.
750 race demon carburetor
Hedman hussler 1-7/8 headers
Custom Hughes converter, 4200 stall, set up for nitrous use.
Gears TBD. Not sure what is on the car now. I'll probably run a spool.

That's the rough combo as it sits. Car is pretty stripped down so it's going to be fairly light.

I am fully aware it's not the ideal combination of parts. If you guys were to suggest changes to improve the combo what would it be?

For instance I did consider going to a solid flat tappet cam. I'd think about something like that if it would work with the rest of the valvetrain.

What do you think the ET capabilities would be with this setup?

Thanks fellas.
Beautiful Spartan optioned A body platform !

I say for now while money is tight get it together and go have fun. If the heads are box stock maybe smooth them Up some, pay someone to do a nice valve job and set up the springs for your application. Gasket match to intake and send it. It’s no fun if you are blowing your budget and not enjoying it.

What are the plans for the car? That’s what would help me decide which way I would continue to build it. If you just want a cruiser, stick the low comp 408 in it and go have a good time. If you’d like to race it and actually go fast then the high compression 418 on e85 with boost is the direction I’d go. Make a plan, stick to the plan, execute the plan.
I want a drag car that happens to be street legal.

You think 12: 1 with e85 on boost would be doable?

Might be a possible evolution.

I want a drag car that happens to be street legal.

You think 12: 1 with e85 on boost would be doable?

Might be a possible evolution.
12:1 and boost is pushing it on e85. At that point I’d run methanol. But you could swap a gasket and maybe get down low enough to do it. I’ve done 10.5:1 on boost with e85 and it’s great.

More than anything will this have a license plate on it ..?? What fuel..?? Otherwise yes stick the compression to it..!! (If no turbo) and go solid on the cam..!! Let er eat..!! Car just looks KILLER..Swingn’
Thank you! I'll run pump gas on the street with a conservative tune... probably. If I can't get it to go without pinging then I'll switch to e85.

Thinking about cams and not sure yet. I may just stick with the stick I have, which I suspect is slightly on the small side. Still contemplating that.

Any general thoughts on the cam and converter setup? 242/252 on a stroker seems small from what I've read here. I have time to get a different cam if there would be substantial benefit.

-
Back