Control Arms

-

mrhollywood

Reaction score
Anybody know if there is any difference in the control arm bolt and nuts between the 70' and the 73'+? The reason I ask is I'm going to a classic car junkyard that is walk in only to get some parts for the Disc swap and I want the right size tools...I dont want to carry more than necessary. I currently don't have a wrench or socket large enough to remove those bolts and am kinda hoping if I get one that is the same size as the one on my 70' it will be the same as a 73'+

The upper control arm alignment cams are the same from 64-76 if I remember correctly. 3/4" hex, 3/8" shank with the eccentric on the bolt. The ball joint size was the same from 63-4 until 1972 for drum or disc. In 1973 the 10" drum and all disc cars used a larger ball joint while the few remaining 9" drum cars got the same early small ball joint.
Lower arms used the same size nut on the lower pivit shaft, used the same T-bar retaining clip, same lower bolts for the shocks, same nut for the strut rod...

Yes, they are the same. While you can use the disc brake set up off many Mopars, the upper control arm have to be off an A-body that uses the large ball joint only.

The wrench, and socket size, is 3/4 inch for the UCA nuts and bolts.
Kinda odd that you don't have those tools, in your tool box. :dontknow:

The wrench, and socket size, is 3/4 inch for the UCA nuts and bolts.
Kinda odd that you don't have those tools, in your tool box. :dontknow:

lol I had used a adjustable wrench at the time I was trying to figure out the size...my tool set was in my wife's car.I had got 13/16"...I guess I shouldn't have trusted it! I checked it today with my actual set and it was 3/4"...felt pretty stupid:violent1:

I am guessing you won't make a play for the LCA's. At home, I use my 3/4" socket set for the LCA nuts with much force on the breaker bar. I can't recall how I removed T-bars from a 64 C-body in the junkyard a few years ago, but somehow loosened the LCA nuts without above tools (big Crescent wrench and hammer?). You must be creative in the junkyard. Good luck.

you really dont have a 3/4 wrench??seriously

I do have a 3/4" ...but at the time that I was trying to get the measurement, my wife had the tools in her car.

I am gonna try to get the LCAs if I can find a car with a sway bar...then I'll get the LCAs w/sway bar tabs.
I do have a torsion bar remover if it comes to that!

Many of us have needed a torch to get those upper arm bolts out ,
at home or in a garage filled with tools.
Good luck

-
Back