Converter choice?

-

Chameleon

Dart Conissuer
Reaction score
I am in the process of putting my convertible back together and am looking for advice on what converter to use. I have available to me a TCI 3500 which is what came out of the car with the last engine and a Turbo Action 3000(I think).

The engine is a 77 440 .030, forged crank,440Source dampner,440
Source windage tray, block and heads both decked .010,KB 10:1, Stealths with Comp cams 10 deg locks and retainers,Comp Cams XR286 hydraulic roller,Comps roller lifters,544 lift,Crane gold roller rockers 1.6,PJ Gear drive,Mellings HV pump,Moroso 7quart pan,440Source I beams, balanced and lightened rotating assembly, TTI 2", Street Dominator intake and Holley 850 DP,Holley blue pump/reg,MSD 6AL,440Source billet Dist, 3:91 gears(3:55 available).

The car is for the street only. The tires are 255/60/15 on the rear.

IMGA1314.jpg

Thanks for the reply, I should have stated that I'm open to change the converter and not limited to using either the 3000 or the 3500 that I have available to me.

Bill

Thanks for the reply, I should have stated that I'm open to change the converter and not limited to using either the 3000 or the 3500 that I have available to me.

Bill

Here is my advice. You wanna come close, or you wanna get it right? Call Pat Storey at SMR. That's ALL he does is Chrysler. Nothin else. He KNOWS his stuff.

http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/
Okay lets start with this....look at my signature and you will see that our builds are almost the same....I had a Turbo Action 10" convertor in my 340 A904 tranny...no problems....then when I stepped up to the 440 I used them again....oh oh...WTF...the stator in the convertor shot slivers of aluminum in my pan on the very first maiden cruise...another tranny later with same results...hence now I know alot more about trannys and torque convertors....Rick Allison with A&A transmission taught me alot....he also lined me up with a 9 1/2" convertor from Transmission Specialties that is excellent to say the least....I can smoke the tires in second gear with half throttle...it will cost you $200 plus more to go that route but I would do it in a heartbeat.....now I sent my first convertor back to Paul Forte to cut open and see what happened...he will send me another replacement...I will have a complete spare tranny with torque convertor..by the way it stalls at 3000..

I think, with that setup, you're going to want either 4.10s or 4.30s with those tires. It's a little shy in terms of compression ratio. I'd like to see it with more like 11.5:1 for what you're running. Plus with that cam and 1.6s, it's going to be lazy under 3500. I would be looking at something in the 3800 range. In terms of companies, I would get a unit from Lenny at Ultimate.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll take your advice and talk to the experts listed and get their take what would work best with my combo.

-
Back