Converting to hydraulic lifter?

-
I'm no expert on the 273, as I only have worked with 318's and 360's, but I think it would depend on the cam shaft. Are you using the original cam or have you switched it out?

What year is your engine? From what I just searched, the 273 switched to hydraulic in 68'..

Actually, in my opinion, you already have the best system. It is the most accurate, and it has the factory engineered reliability.

Hydraulics were cheaper to produce, not as accurate, but lower maintenance and quieter.

For a performance motor, you want the solids.

Now if you were talking hydraulic roller, that is another issue. It frees up some HP robbing friction and doesn't have the additive issues.

I guess I should have specified..

What I am planning to do is replace my cam. I was asking someone for suggestions on new cams, and he mentioned a hydraulic cam, saying that converting from a solid cam to hydraulic was easy from his understandings.

Sorry guys :D

haha, no problem... It is of my understanding that if you switch to a hydraulic cam, you stay with hydraulic lifters... are you replacing anything else in the engine, or is this just a cam swap?

I guess I should have specified..

What I am planning to do is replace my cam. I was asking someone for suggestions on new cams, and he mentioned a hydraulic cam, saying that converting from a solid cam to hydraulic was easy from his understandings.

Sorry guys :D

The conversion is easy, just use the new hydraulic lifters with the new cam. You can still use your adjustable rockers, but will probably need some shorter pushrods.

Or, you can use factory hydraulic pushrods, but then you will need to put on stamped rockers. I think fishy68 had a nice MP set for sale in the mechanical parts section.

Ok that doesn't sound too bad. Is there a significant different performance/efficiency wise between hydraulic and not?

My whole plans for the engine consist of headers and dual exhaust system, carb and intake, and cam for the near future.

Just off the top of my head, Chrysler switched to Hydraulic probably because of reliability and ease of construction... If there are no rockers to adjust, then that's one less thing to tune... also, putting together the top end of a 318 or 360 is fast when you don't have to adjust rockers... I'm not aware of the power difference, except when you get into high HP build, roller rockers, solid lifters, high lift cams are used... I think for a mild build like yours, hydraulic will be just fine... you aren't drag racing into the 9's :D

Well since mine is already solid, should I just stick to solid, or should I make the conversion? Like you said, it's just a mild street build.

Ok that doesn't sound too bad. Is there a significant different performance/efficiency wise between hydraulic and not?

My whole plans for the engine consist of headers and dual exhaust system, carb and intake, and cam for the near future.

It has been well documented that the factory stamped steel rockers are very sloppy in the ratio department. You need a true 1.5, as the cams are designed for, and the numbers have been as low as 1.3 on stockers.

You want each cylinder to have the same valve lift, and that is the advantage the adjustable rockers give you.

That is why I recommended the MP rockers that fishy68 is selling, if you want to go that way. I am tempted to buy them myself, but don't need them.

Haha well I'm still unsure as to whether or not it's really worth it to make the conversion, but I've definitely appreciated all the feedback.

Don't be unsure, it's not worth it. Unless your wife drives it and maintains it, the hour or so you spend adjusting the valves ain't worth the issues you COULD have with hydraulic lifters....

Me, personally, I can't stand hyd lifters. But then again, I'm strange.

you can run solid lifters on a hyd cam, not the other way though.

I would put another solid back in it, they have a fast ramp speed and will make more power through out the range.
jmo

Cool, I'll probably stick with just another better solid cam, I figure the swap will be easier than actually making a switch over to hydraulic. Now to start searching through cams and figuring out one I want. I've been recommended lunati a few times, any other recommendations?

Check out the ISKY solid cams, work great on 318's...... sure they would be good on 273's.......

try to keep the int/ex the same for the low end....

Int/ex? Sorry that went over my head :). I'm a newbie ha ha.

Int = intake duration and lift. Ex = exhaust duration and lift. Some cams are known as split duration/lift cams whereby they have more duration and lift on the exhaust side as opposed to the intake side. That's to compensate for a weak exhaust port which a lot of heads are know for. It's a debatable subject though.

ah ok well that makes sense then. Assuming I upgrade the exhaust system and intake system pretty equally, I'd imagine I should be looking to have int/ex the same.

Well since mine is already solid, should I just stick to solid, or should I make the conversion? Like you said, it's just a mild street build.

I didn't finish the thread and figured I'd leave 2 cents. And it is.........

IN my opinion, I'd stay with the solid cam. I myself would spend extra to get a set of roller rockers, a complete set up, chrome hardened shafts, spacers and hold downs. Your OE rockers aren't that accurate. You'll probably need new pushrods with my idea.

Don't think of this any harder or more, just grab the cam you want and go!

OH, Almost forgot, I'd look at cams from Huges, Lunati and then Comp Cams.
Or entire set ups from huges, then Comp.
Huges is probably cheaper and better not to mention they can help with the pushrods real well.

I didn't finish the thread and figured I'd leave 2 cents. And it is.........

IN my opinion, I'd stay with the solid cam. I myself would spend extra to get a set of roller rockers, a complete set up, chrome hardened shafts, spacers and hold downs. Your OE rockers aren't that accurate. You'll probably need new pushrods with my idea.

Don't think of this any harder or more, just grab the cam you want and go!

OH, Almost forgot, I'd look at cams from Huges, Lunati and then Comp Cams.
Or entire set ups from huges, then Comp.
Huges is probably cheaper and better not to mention they can help with the pushrods real well.

Thanks! That's definitely what I am looking for is just the more experienced peoples 2 cents. I appreciate it. I think imma stay with the solid cam, and yeah I've heard about the factory rockers being wonky, so I might go that route when it comes time for this stuff, but I'll still probably be looking at doing intake, carb, and exhaust first.

Although tires are first on my list right now ha ha..

-
Back