Cool barn find: 68 Barracuda 340-S 4spd fstbk red on red!!...they are still out there

-

autoxcuda

Reaction score
FABO member ns1rm21 (friend of mine) just bought this very cool garage/barn find 1968 Barracuda 340 Formula S console 4-speed PP1 red with red deluxe interior. Fender tag, numbers motor and trans, body numbers.

They are still out there!

Guy who had it got it from original owner. Came with the orginal California black and yellow plates but 2nd owner didn't know how to keep those plate with the car since it had fell out of current registration. 2nd owner was going to add a roll cage and make this rare car a race car.

2nd owner put headers, aftermarket seats, and just started a bolt in roll bar. Luckily he stopped there. And he kept the original manifolds and seats. Car runs, drives and current registration!

This thing even has the correct 2875086 Dual Point distributor, 2898026 radiator, X heads, intake, fan shroud, 340 air cleaner. Only thing it's really missing is the 4424 AVS carb. It has a 4611 AVS from a 69 340 manual car.

Very cool red exterior, red deluxe interior, with black side stripe car with redline tires. This car would look awesome restored!

Fender tag decode.

CAR: Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Sports Hardtop
ENGINE: 340cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 4-Speed Manual Floor Shift
TIRES: E70x14 Red Side Wall, steel belted
BUILD DATE: October 15.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: Deluxe Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Red Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Red Paint.
OTHER: Burgundy Metallic Upper Door Frame Color. Black Horizontal Sport Stripe.

MOLDINGS:
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
30: Body Belt Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
F7: Barracuda Formula S Package
X2: Tinted Windshield Only

abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror

Attachments

• P1020761.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,095
  • P1020773.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,201
  • P1020756.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,026
  • P1020750.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 996
It looks extremely solid. Hurst or Inland shifter?

Inland. Scheduled Production Date (SPD) of October 15, 1967.

Car is very solid. Only rust at very bottom of rear quarter where the water does not drain well in 67-69 Barracudas and some specks on the passenger floor where a heater core must have blown at one time.

Rear window stainless is perfect no dents or major scratches, front grill surrounds are extremely nice with only one small dent in a place that's easy to fix. But what really impressed me was that there was very little road nicks in the surrounds. I've restored those and ones with typical heavy nicks need lots of metal removal or you live with the little spots. I bet this car was a Los Angeles car all it's life. We don't get much road debris in the city.

Looks to have it's original tail pipes, tip hangers and tips. I think it had it's all it's original exhaust untill the 2nd owner put headers on it. :(

Someone had a trailer hitch on it once. The stock tail pipes look puny!

Note: original drip hole in low spot of tail pipe to drain out condensated water so pipes don't rust out so fast.

Attachments

• P1020749.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 968
  • P1020767.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 982
  • P1020774.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 935
Anyone ever seen a pouch like this for the jack base? Seems wierd that is matches the interior color?

I'm almost sure it's made up custom. The base should be on top of spare tire to hold it down, correct?

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_2111.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 999
What an awesome find! I hope he is going to restore it?

What an awesome find! I hope he is going to restore it?

The previous owner just took stuff off car then bolted the roll bar hoop in it. Stopped with rest of the cage loose in his garage.

So ns1rm21 is now going to put all the interior stuff back and get it to run and function better. Sounds like it's got some minor tune up issues that could make a big difference. The vacuum advance way in the wrong spot could be a clue to that.

Thing is, ns1rm21 is currently right in the middle of this big 71 340 Demon resto. So I don't know where the time will come from to mess with this Barracuda?

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_1399.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 953
  • Copy of IMG_1948.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 944
  • Copy of IMG_2084.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,006

Attachments

• AF12_r307_01.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,042
  • 812528_332371622_Original.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 935
Very nice car. Buff it and but it all back together. They are only original once.

Awesome!! Hope this car gets the love it deserves.

Very nice car. Buff it and but it all back together. They are only original once.

Been repainted twice. Last cheap paint job is flaking off. Interior must have got really sun burnt. Needs seat recover, replacement foam cores, new dash pads, probably door panels. That red interior never survives well anyways. This one didn't survive much at all. Although for some odd reason the sunvisors are almost mint.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_2109.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 817
Wow! Great find. Looks like it is in pretty good shape! Nice to see another similar looking car with great options being restored!

Numbers on back of block match vin.

Correct Prestolite dual point numbers.

Correct 026 radiator for 1968 340 manual car.

Those parts add up to some $$$ trying to find and buy them when they are missing.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_2121.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 813
  • Copy of IMG_2122.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 813
  • Copy of IMG_2117.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 815
Hi everybody! I will tell you, she might not look like much but I spent some time on her this week and she is turning into a fun little car. Dont get me wrong....she needs some work but all the hard to find stuff is there. So let's try and visualize this car. Red on red. 4 speed with a black stripe. Now let through in a matching number engine, Trans, distributor, radiator along with many other parts I'm sure. All of that now add a fender tag...I'm a happy camper! LOL!

Hi everybody! I will tell you, she might not look like much but I spent some time on her this week and she is turning into a fun little car. Dont get me wrong....she needs some work but all the hard to find stuff is there. So let's try and visualize this car. Red on red. 4 speed with a black stripe. Now let through in a matching number engine, Trans, distributor, radiator along with many other parts I'm sure. All of that now add a fender tag...I'm a happy camper! LOL!

You should be. Minimal rust and the hard to acquire parts are there.

It's all easy after that.

Great find.

And a happy camper you should be :notworth:

That is one sweet find, take it from someone who bought a 69 that spent it's life in western NY. :banghead:

Awesome car, they are still out there. Seeing one like this is so refreshing. Normally you see a GTS of Formula S advertised for sale and they are nothing like an original car. Missing most if not all of the distinguishing and/or numbers matching parts, other than maybe a vin number.

Based on the Demon restoration picks, looks like the right guy for the job bought the Barracuda. Keep us in the loop as you work on the car.

I just spent some more time on tuning the engine and in a short time I got her purring like a kitten. The distributor was off by two teeth and the carb was a mess. I should be able to take her for a drive tomorrow!! This would be a fun car to restore .....very little rust....all the hard parts are there and when your done you will have one nice looking car. Truth be told...I just wont have time to restore this one so if anybody is looking for a good project let me or Steve know.

-
Back