Coolant overflow capacity?

-
I looked at mine today.....too full. I need to lose 3/4"

Ill see if I can pick up something creative and make it work. My drinking days are over so not gonna do the Jim Beam bottle.....but something cool would be in the theme of the car.....

FL can be over 100 degrees in the summer, when you need the AC the most.

Theoretically, sure it will find it's level.

I'm very aware of that.

But throw in the variable of a mild near overheating, let alone 2-3 per week, and that theory goes out the window.

The can solved the problem.

Permanently.

I've never seen any style of recovery tank that worked very well.

That’s because you haven’t seen this one work.

I have been eyeing the recovery tanks that have the inlet on the bottom and a hole in the cap. I’m assuming that style would require the cap to be as high as the rad cap?

I check fluids before the first start of the day so it’s no biggie but in attempt to not spill coolant when I don’t have to…meh, maybe saint Petey will be impressed

This is a thermos modified to make a recovery tank.
The radiator is a 26 inch three row core with 5/8 tubes, so it has some capacity. (Arizona)
The thermos has two walls, an inner and an outer.
I cut an opening in the outer wall on the bottom, then drilled the inner tank for a tube fitting.
On the inside of the neck I drilled a 1/8 vent from the inside tank that vents between the two layers and out the opening in the bottom.

No air in the cooling system and I never see coolant.
A quick squeeze on the top hose to check coolant levels once in awhile.
If I hear coolant sloshing I add a little to the recovery tank.
Maybe overkill, but better than under.

IMG_5770.jpeg

Mine's "just" a thick walled, translucent, graduated 48 oz "water cup", with the overflow tube right through the lid, down to about 1/8" from the bottom.

Works very well.

I glance at it every 3rd or 4th time I drive and if it's lower than about 1/4 full, I add a little.

When it was 16 or 24 oz, I had to add almost every time.

Now I don't.

OK, now that I'm thinking, I might need to check my actual oz capacity.
I just remember that it was too small, and when I increased it, the issues got resolved.

Mine's "just" a thick walled, translucent, graduated 48 oz "water cup", with the overflow tube right through the lid, down to about 1/8" from the bottom.

Works very well.

I glance at it every 3rd or 4th time I drive and if it's lower than about 1/4 full, I add a little.

When it was 16 or 24 oz, I had to add almost every time.

Now I don't.

OK, now that I'm thinking, I might need to check my actual oz capacity.
I just remember that it was too small, and when I increased it, the issues got resolved.

And it works.
If assembled correctly almost anything can used as a recovery system, as you have proven.

-
Back