Cost to set up rearend

-

72BlueSwinger

Reaction score
What are ya'll paying in labor to have your rearends setup. I have a oeg-leg 2.45 geared 8 1/4, a good used set of 3.55, and now a good suregrip. I'm going to buy a master overhaul kit and the oil, but the tech is going to put the lsd additive and set it up for $250. Does this sound about right to ya'll? I know my choices are limited. This guy is an ase certified mechanic that spent probably 20 yrs working at a dodge dealership. I know he does good work. Also comes highly recommended by the best custom exhaust guy in western Ky..

Sounds reasonable to me, except for one small detail. Are you planning on ditching the 2.45 carrier and have a replacement on hand? If so, you are good to go and making out like a fat rat.

Just wanting to clarify....$250 just for labor sounds about right? Well.. He said it would take about 6 hrs to do it right - with everything cleaned up really well inside the housing and axle, and making for certain its set up right, as well as adding Mopar LSD additive. So $250 divided by 6 hrs is about $41.50/hr. So I guess that's close.

That's about the going rate here in TX, I did find a guy who will do mine for $200, he is also doing my tranny.

Paid $250 for the same job a couple of years ago at a race shop. Grumpus has a big point, the 2.45 carrier won't handle the larger gears. You'll need a carrier from a 2.76 & > to get the 3.55s in.

Friends, I have never charged more than $150 to set up gears in an 8-3/4. I was lucky to get that! It is such a simple thing to do. How many of you guys are making over $40 an hour? Thanks God there isn't much of anything I can't do myself! I always told myself, "If that guy can do it, so can I!". I only charge $150 to set up Dana 60 gears! With my measly retirement income, if I couldn't do it myself it would never get done and I'm not old enough to quit yet! Fellows, get your courage together and tackle it. Disassemble the unit methodically and make notes if you are afraid you won't remember. A Motors Repair Manual or a Chilton's will tell you all you need to know. The hardest part is pressing the pinion bearing on and off. Mark the main caps so they can't be switched. There are simple ways to measure the original pinion depth with a Vernier caliper. Then also....you can also get on FABO and ask your friends for help if you run into something. You'll be proud of doing it yourself and it will give you confidence for other things. Look what you can do with the money you save! Good luck and don't let people rob you.
Pat

Friends, I have never charged more than $150 to set up gears in an 8-3/4. I was lucky to get that! It is such a simple thing to do. How many of you guys are making over $40 an hour? Thanks God there isn't much of anything I can't do myself! I always told myself, "If that guy can do it, so can I!". I only charge $150 to set up Dana 60 gears! With my measly retirement income, if I couldn't do it myself it would never get done and I'm not old enough to quit yet! Fellows, get your courage together and tackle it. Disassemble the unit methodically and make notes if you are afraid you won't remember. A Motors Repair Manual or a Chilton's will tell you all you need to know. The hardest part is pressing the pinion bearing on and off. Mark the main caps so they can't be switched. There are simple ways to measure the original pinion depth with a Vernier caliper. Then also....you can also get on FABO and ask your friends for help if you run into something. You'll be proud of doing it yourself and it will give you confidence for other things. Look what you can do with the money you save! Good luck and don't let people rob you.
Pat
im so glad some one said this ididnt want to start any thing i feal the same way you do i do them for frends and tell them to pay me what thay think its worth one give me 50.00 bucks and i felt bad taking it.get a book and do it your self ........and anther thing if ther charging that much time thay don,t know what there doing an hour and half ya mabey.but 8 B.S!

After reviewing my bank account, I'm inclined to try to set these gears up myself, as well. I pretty much know how its supposed to be done, but it just seems like everything I have to do for the first time, I have to do it by myself, trying to figure it all out, and after awhile, that just gets old.

As for the old 2.45 carrier, maybe some of you guys didn't notice, but I did mention in my first post that I have a good suregrip unit to replace that old carrier with, so that's not going to be a problem. I can probably even borrow a dial indicator from work to check the side to side movement, and I already know how to use that, lol. One question.. Would you recommend replacing the ring-gear bolts when I bolt the 3.55s up to the suregrip? Oh.. and maybe someone can recommend a good place to get a master overhaul kit for the 8.25 - or should I buy things separately from the local parts store? I put new Timken bearings in the front hubs, I know they're a good brand. Info, info, info, please, and thanks guys.

You got it godfather! Our FABO friends are not without mechanical skills. You must be a great guy. I have had respect for every one of your posts. You are right: sometimes it isn't about the money at all. I've even narrowed rears for free because the person was worth doing it for! Did you ever "make them an offer they couldn't refuse........."? LOL!
Pat:cheers:

A Factory Service Manual has everything you need to know about how to do this procedure.

I bought a pinion depth gauge used, $60, telltale 0-90 inch pound torque wrench $100 (seen some sell on e-bay for $50) for pinion bearing preload, regular torque wrench, Dial indicator and base $25. I made my spanner wrench from scrap I had laying around

Basically the tools cost less than most people are charging to do the work.

On the bearing being pushed on and off, make a test bearing. Get an inner pinion bearing ($10-15) and hone it so it slides onto the pinion. You can then easily adjust/shim pinion depth without risking tearing up bearings pulling it off. Setting pinion depth is the biggest pain in the whole project.

It's not that tough to do. I don't like doing it with the rears under the cars, prefer them out and out a bench of jackstands. Easier on the body!

Don't forget the proper carrier bearing preload tool(C-4164)or(otc6602 at half the price) that attaches to your ft pound torque wrench. 100-150ft pounds torque required to set pre-load on carrier bearings. If the carrier walks around due to insufficient preload the rear end will be noisy.

-
Back