Couple of questions about my 1973 340.

-

bmw88rider

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I picked up a 340 from my dad. It's a 1973 cast 3/20/73 with the number on the flat tab below the drain plug being 3B44374.

It's got the 360 596 casting number heads and I believe a comp XE268 cam with the matching springs. It currently has a performer 318/360 intake on it.

It's got the right dampener on the front.

The question is what do I use for the Flywheel. It's going into a 1966 Barracuda with a 904.

Also, Any carb recommendations with this combo. It's the stock 1.88/1.60 valves with just a light clean up on the ports and they are matched on both the intake and exhaust.

Thanks everyone,

Mike

you need to add the weight to your torque converter or buy a b&m flexplate for 340 external balance and run a neutral balance converter.

I have the same motor in my aspen, b&m used to make an external
Balance flex plate for the 904 but it's no longer available. b&m still makes one for the 727, it works on the 904 because it has both sets of torque converter holes but it is physically bigger around and the starter will sometimes hit when engaged. Your starter may clear or You can grind a little off the starter nose or use a newer style like I am off a 94 dodge ram.

Flywheel? Is this a manual shift car? Also, since you are using a 904, is it the original 904 to the 66 cuda? There is a difference in the diameter of the pilot snout of the converter of a 66 and earlier 904 and a 67 and later unit! You need to make sure you are apples to apples on this, as the register on the 340 will be the larger diameter and will not work with the earlier converter!!

More info please!! Geof

I meant flexplate. Mental typo. :) I have a second 904 out of a 1965 that I am looking to have a friend go through while I'm having the motor gone through.

For the converter, That is the $100K question. Right now I have a 1965 and a 1966 904 torque converter. If I need to get a different one, That's fine. It will give me a good excuse to get a mild stall converter.

I just want to make sure I get the right combination the first time so I don't have to fight issues come assembly time.

Thanks for the info so far everyone.

I am doing this same swap, exactly the same!! 73 340 motor into a 66 Cuda with the original 904! I am going to circumvent the entire problem if possible by having a converter made to my exact needs! I had Frank Lupo make my current converter way back too long ago, and it cost me $600!!! Painful but worth it!

I think we need to do a little homework and stay in touch and share our results! I am going to call a couple converter people and get the lowdown on this! Geof

Sounds good Geof.

I've got to talk to my transmission guy tomorrow so maybe he can give some direction as well.

So just as a follow-up, I found a local torque converter builder that is going to make me the right converter for the motor. He is going to up the stall speed to 2200 and rebalance the converter to the right specs for $225

I also found in the box of all of the parts from my dad's place, the original thermoquad that seems to be in good shape so I'm going to rebuild and run that.

-
Back