Coupler pin removal

-
OK, without a complete step by step, how does the shaft come out the bottom after I get the column out? Thanks

If you're pulling the entire column out, the shaft can come with it. Just remove the roll pin that holds the shaft to the gearbox. The picture of my column hanging from the ladder when I painted it shows the entire column with the shaft.

Take a look at my brake handle how to, I'm sure you could adapt something similar to pressure out. I would not beat it out with a hammer, a lot of excess side load impact on the gear box.

I have a press like that! It's a ball joint press I used it to press out my lca and uca bushings.
Give it a try! Only thing i'd caution about pounding it out is if you bell the end of it before you get it flat with the shaft you're going to have to cut it. Then pound the rest out. The good news is since you're using that U-joint you don't have to be quite as careful as if you were trying to reinstall another pin.

Take a look at my brake handle how to, I'm sure you could adapt something similar to pressure out. I would not beat it out with a hammer, a lot of excess side load impact on the gear box.
Yea, I don't see anyway you could hammer it out in the car. Its a press fit. I used an anvil with a hole in it on a bench. Very flat even strikes. Not the best way but it worked.

-
Back