Craftsman lathe

-
Thanks! That's a really good idea. I thought about making one, but I have no way to cut the necessary keyway that it needs. Pinning the threaded portion on is a great alternative and makes a ton of sense.
I cut small key ways using the carriage of the lathe or the mill spindle. Not optimal, but with the right setup and grind, it works. Google should find examples.

I have an old 9” Southbend lathe and a small horizontal mill probably from the 20’s in my shop. Handy tools.

I believe Atlas was in Kalamazoo Mich. I am restoring an Atlas belt/disc sander from the 50's, all cast iron and in great shape. I took the tag off that was rivited on before I sandblasted & powdercoated everything green hammertone. Atlas Press was on the tag.
I thought atlas was a British company.

I thought atlas was a British company.
There might be a British company with that name but…

Atlas Lathes - The Background
Built in 6, 9, 10 and 12-inch versions, Atlas lathes were made by the Atlas Press Company, an organisation based originally in Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA.

Yup. I grind them by hand. I’m getting too old for stuff like that.

My hands are still sore and I haven’t touched the grinder in 4 days.
You have any dead gears sitting around? The 3 833 boxes I have are all good and I don’t want to practice on those gears just yet. I want to slick shift one of them when the time comes, until then I know I could talk my brother into a set up fixture for the mill to cut some teeth…

Do you think you could get tooling for a shaper that would remove the teeth off a Chrysler transmission gear and slider??

I know @weedburner said he is machining the teeth off his gears in a lathe and then he presses on a Liberty ring and sends it.

I just want to slick shift them so I need to remove every other tooth and I thought if I had a tool bit tough enough a shaper would be a good tool for the job.

I’m know at 60 years old I’m not fond of hand grinding those thing any more.

On my old 16x60 South Bend, I just made a simple tool post holder that I clamp a die grinder onto with hose clamps. Carbide burr in the die grinder. The lathe spindle indexed on the spline or dog tooth I want to remove, then locked. From there, I just manually move the carriage and cross slide to remove the spline.

Grant

You have any dead gears sitting around? The 3 833 boxes I have are all good and I don’t want to practice on those gears just yet. I want to slick shift one of them when the time comes, until then I know I could talk my brother into a set up fixture for the mill to cut some teeth…

Sadly, like the village idiot I am I sold off all the parts I had.

It’s really simple. You’re just taking every other tooth off the gear, slider and syncro and put it back together.

I don’t touch first gear. I leave all the teeth on it.

-
Back