Crane pushrod quality

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I recently read a response in a different thread about Crane pushrod issues. I've installed an older NOS set (supposedly).
They are the black ones, ball/cup.
Fired up the Googlin' machine and found this, linked below.
Anyone else seen/heard this?
@Max1196 , @MOPAROFFICIAL @replicaracer43 @PRH

I broke a few right away.
My push rods were measured and custom made. Geometry was right. So I conversation with Crane.
Guy asks were they Black or Gray?
Oh damm we normally make them our selves, and ours are gray. We outsourced and those were all bad. Told me don't use any more black of the ones, they are bad.
And I could not get replacement push rods either as they also out sources the tips and were out off them too.
Thanks to cheap overseas crap.
Can't blame them, trying to compete price wise quality went down and so did the company.

Faulty tubular pushrods from Crane Cams

I cant help, I have never used crane pushrods. If its custom, I normally use smith brothers.

The article you posted is 24 years old if you look at the dates of the pushrods installation and in service.

Smith Bros. are my go-to brand Steve. BUT, I do have these in the back of a shelf, new not used, close look shows a form of crimp or weld on the ends of the rods. These things are maybe 15years old.
20240612_065058.jpg

Can you elaborate why J? I'm gonna crack off a vc and take a look, I believe mine are welded.
I realize that article is older, BUT what is considered NOS nowadays? 20 years? 30??
Who knows, that term is tossed around like the town bike.
Here's pic of box mine came in.
I'll take the press end over the electroweld crap any day

Yeah cause where's the pressed in ends gonna go?

20230508_101210.jpg

So I recently read a response in a different thread about Crane pushrod issues. I've installed an older NOS set (supposedly).
They are the black ones, ball/cup.
Fired up the Googlin' machine and found this, linked below.
Anyone else seen/heard this?
@Max1196 , @MOPAROFFICIAL @replicaracer43 @PRH

Faulty tubular pushrods from Crane Cams
I have seen that before.
Yes I had everything Crane. Broke adjusters and tgat bent a few push rods.
So none of the Crane was reused. I called Smith Brother's had them whip up new good push rods and send me their adjusters/nuts to install on the Gold Race.

Can you elaborate why J? I'm gonna crack off a vc and take a look, I believe mine are welded.
I realize that article is older, BUT what is considered NOS nowadays? 20 years? 30??
Who knows, that term is tossed around like the town bike.
Here's pic of box mine came in.

View attachment 1716261603
The pressed in type have a "stem" that presses into the pushrod tube. There's no way it can come out, even if it loses its press fit. Of course, that wouldn't be optimal, but it's got no place to go. There's not enough room for it to fall out. Welded on ends on the other hand can break and fall right off.

Never had a problem with any crane product. Ran a number of pushrod set with no problem. Always considered crane as top notch quality.

I doubt I’ve used even 5 sets of Crane pushrods ever.
(I can really only remember 1 set for sure)

I had no problems with them.

They later sources from another vender and sent me some after I had the Smith Brother's installed. They were black but had a note they were not the same defective black ones.
They had a batch that were bad think they were over hardened? But prone to snap or brake threads where nuts were at.
What the tech said on phone.

^^^^^Had this on new Harland Sharp rockers.
Too brittle. These companies probably buy the fasteners from a common supplier.

The only engine I ever had any pushrod problems was on a big block Chevy. It chewed the ball ends off of one about every few months.

-
Back