Crankcase breather question

-
What I do wonder is , what effect my 6 pack scoop will have on the pass. side vent/breather to air cleaner deal. Any thots on that ??
That's a good question, and IDK the answer. It took me several readings to figure out what you might be getting at. I guess yur thinking the scoop might pressurize the system at speed, which would then dick with the normal pressure venting at higher rpms. Am I on the right track? I think that's a valid thot and as I was thinking about it, an idea came to me; How about just Teeing a dump hose into that line down below the level of a valve cover. This would allow the system to work normally most of the time, yet as the pressure in the scoop rises with speed, simultaneously with increased blow-by from rpm , they just both together dump thru the Tee. Of course you might want to figure out a good place to dump it so it don't make a mess.
Or I suppose you could run a pressure vent elsewhere...... maybe jam it into the exhaust system. That would take care of the mess.....
Those pan e-vacs really work. I ran two of them with a working PCV on my 292/292/108 11.3 Scr combo, and never even gave it a thought, as to they might be fighting eachother at times. But for me, they worked so good, they pumped a lotta oil into my mufflers.

Course it just might be that CC pressure is higher than scoop pressure.... and then it would just be business as usual for the PCV system.
I suppose you could just measure the CC pressure at speed, with and without the hose connected to the air cleaner, and see what happens. Do not let the pressure in the cc rise above 4 psi, I have blown the camplug out one time.

I'd also like know, if anyone can answer it, why you can run an evac system if you run mufflers. Also, do glasspacks count as mufflers?
I ran two of them into the TTI collectors with full length 3 inch duals and TTI supplied Dynomax mufflers. They pumped a lotta oil into those mufflers. That made me think; man if they can do that, then I get how the headers can work thru the overlap cycle. So then I retarded my cam to split overlap, to take max advantage of that. Carrumba!

As to your question; if I guessed at the answer, I'd only be revealing my ignorance. But I think there is a lot more going on in the exhaust "system" than I will ever understand.
But one thing I can say; I've never been sorry I chose the dual 3inchers. Even my 318 smogger winter engine liked them. And the one time I tracked the car with open headers, by seat of the pants, I noticed no power-difference as compared to full exhaust on the street. Course the track I went to had no starter box, and the runways were holier than regular streets in town.So IDK;can't say.
I only took the pipes off cuz they weigh 72 stinking pounds, and they are rigged to practically fall off the car.
If you learn the answer elsewhere, I'd like to know too.

Last edited:
do glasspacks count as mufflers?
I guess it depends on who you ask; for me, the cops said no. But they gave me 24 hours or something to make the car quieter. I fixed 'em.
This was in the early to mid 70s. I was in my early 20s. I went home, grabbed a strip of cardboard, the corrugated kind, about 3.5 ft wide and rolled it up tight until it just fit into my straight under the axle 2" home-made tailpipes. I cut it into two pieces and jammed one into each pipe. I drilled right thru the whole shebang and stuck a nail in there. I was betting no cop in this area was gonna bend over and look.... and I was right. I got the pass and took off. Around the corner, I pulled the nails and jumped back into the car, nailed the gas and blew the cardboard to the moon. Hyup, I fixed that cop.
I just don't know why they were always picking on me.

so you want the pcv valve to open at a vacuum amount that is less than idle? So if for example i had 10 inhg of vacuum at idle id want a pcv valve to only open at around 8 inhg of vacuum? Couldnt you put a hand vacuum pump on a pcv valve and see how much vacuum it takes to open the valve?

While expensive, this is where a vacuum pump starts to make a lot of sense.

I'd also like know, if anyone can answer it, why you can run an evac system if you run mufflers. Also, do glasspacks count as mufflers?
All depends on the relative pressure of the crankcase vs the point at the exhaust where the EVAC is connected. One thing to keep in mind.... as the exhaust cools while moving down the tubes, its pressure goes down. So it is not hard to see if you go far enough back the average absolute pressure gets down to, or close to, atmospheric.... the velocity of the exhaust at that point keeps it moving on down the line....if things are pretty open all the way to the back.

so you want the pcv valve to open at a vacuum amount that is less than idle? So if for example i had 10 inhg of vacuum at idle id want a pcv valve to only open at around 8 inhg of vacuum? Couldnt you put a hand vacuum pump on a pcv valve and see how much vacuum it takes to open the valve?
The PCV valve is Always open.
The flow is more restricted at higher vacuum.
As vacuum drops, more air can flow through the valve.

So...
On a stock v-8 idling at 600 rpm, vacuum is around 17"Hg and say 18 or 20 cfm are going into the engine.
The PCV valve is letting in about 1.5 cfm of that, and it mixes in under the carb.
If the same engine is cruising down the road at 2700 rpm, 17" Hg, something like 30 or 40 cfm may be going to the engine.
The PCV valve is letting in about 1.5 cfm of that, and it mixes in under the carb.

But as the throttle opens for a hill or part throttle acceleration, the vacuum drops and the PCV will allow more air through - hopefully enough to keep the crankcase as a vacuum or at least not going positive. Approaching wide open throttle, that will be something like 4 cfm.
PCV Flow Rates

To answer the other part of your question, yes the flow rates can be measured if you have a flow gage.
The AMC Jeep manuals have a procedure, and I think I saw it in a non-jeep AMC manual as well.
I actually bought a flow gage to test some PCV valves, but haven't got around to doing it. :rolleyes:

The PCV valve is Always open.
The flow is more restricted at higher vacuum.
As vacuum drops, more air can flow through the valve.

So...
On a stock v-8 idling at 600 rpm, vacuum is around 17"Hg and say 18 or 20 cfm are going into the engine.
If the same engine is cruising down the road at 2700 rpm, 17" Hg, something like 30 or 40 cfm may be going to the engine.

But as the throttle opens for a hill or part throttle acceleration, the vacuum drops and the PCV will allow more air through - hopefully enough to keep the crankcase as a vacuum or at least not going positive. Approaching wide open throttle, that will be something like 4 cfm.
PCV Flow Rates

i was just curious as the one i have now i can suck the smallest amount with my mouth and it causes the valve to come up, but no matter how hard i try i dont see how its more restricted with higher vacuum, i thought they were either open or closed

i was just curious as the one i have now i can suck the smallest amount with my mouth and it causes the valve to come up, but no matter how hard i try i dont see how its more restricted with higher vacuum, i thought they were either open or closed
You can't get the vacuum anywhere high enough in your mouth to simulate 12-15-18 in of vacuum and sense the flow change. You're probably just opening the PCV.... it is also a check valve to prevent flow from the intake into the crankcase. It would be bad idea to let the flow go the other way and allow the crankcase to suck in a fuel air mixture ready to burn! LOL What you are doing is an old test to see if the PCV is stuck closed.

The forward flow in an engine indeed drops with the higher vacuum above the transition vacuum level.

Ahhh makes sense, so i know theres no need to re invent the wheel with the crazy adjustable pcv valve but how do you know which pcv valve is right? I dont remember which one i got but its a cheapy off of the help section at autozone, may be a dorman not sure

IMO it is cheaper to go buy 4 or 5 different ones at the local store than spend the cash for the adjustable one. They are 5 or so a piece. Try and learn, you have nothing to loose and knowledge to gain!

Unless you have a radical street engine,IMO, the first one you stick on there will be fine. You set your transfer slot exposure and it will all come out in the wash.
I ran the very same pcv on three different cams at three slightly different Scrs.
for over 15 years. IMO, this is a non issue.
The cams were:
292/292/108 Mopar, in at plus 8 to minus 4, vacuum as low as 8/9
270/276/110 Hughes, in at plus 4, vacuum about 13/12/11 depending on the idle speed, which I adjusted with base timing. This was my favorite
276/286/110 Hughes, in at plus 4 to straight up, vacuum around 11/12.
Scrs were;
readjusted to maintain about 180Psi cranking cylinder pressure.
As to the PCV just cut one open and you'll see right away how it works.
EDIT;
I've been using the same PCV, as I said. I have not experimented with others. Therefore I claim ignorance as to how other PCVs might affect the operation of your engine, especially a lower compression engine. What I'm trying to say is that nm9 has experience in this area, and has posted several times about it. And I just want to be transparent , that all my work has been on the same high compression engine, with the same PCV; so I just mighta got lucky. If your combo does not require any idle-air bypass;Your results may vary.

Last edited:
I mean its a decently aggressive street engine. 9.5:1 comp 108 duration i believe, dont quite remember the full cam specs but its a lunati voodoo cam.

this is the first time i looked under the pass side breather, pretty clean. Some light oil residue but i guess thats to be expected. This breather has been on there for about 6 or 7 years

E9859D88-A5C2-4387-A071-87DBBFE221C0.jpeg

E3AA5274-3FCF-4730-94B4-BB4E84DC4B0E.jpeg

Also how does the pcv valve affect the idle air mixture adjustment? I though you disconnect the pcv from the carb when you put the vacuum gauge on anyway. I know how they work just always thought they were opened or closed, you would think with less vacuum at higher rpm they would close and be open at idle with higher vacuum

I though you disconnect the pcv from the carb when you put the vacuum gauge on anyway.
Where is this idea coming from? You're the second person in a week to be thinking this, so its not just you. But its wrong. It doesn't even make any sense.

Also how does the pcv valve affect the idle air mixture adjustment?
Answered in post 31

I know how they work just always thought they were opened or closed, you would think with less vacuum at higher rpm they would close and be open at idle with higher vacuum
Well go cut one open and maybe you'll see how it works...

Never mind, i just remembered my edelbrock carb has a separate manifold vacuum port. Day has been too long lol

Also how does the pcv valve affect the idle air mixture adjustment? I though you disconnect the pcv from the carb when you put the vacuum gauge on anyway. I know how they work just always thought they were opened or closed, you would think with less vacuum at higher rpm they would close and be open at idle with higher vacuum
We just experiment with different valves... or take the info that others provide.... like in this thread. You can take the hose for the PCV to base of the carb in hand, and swap different PCV's on and actually feel and hear the flow difference.

If your PCV has a higher transition vacuum level than your idle vacuum, then it is dumping in more air at idle and you may well be able to compensate for that. But then you apply a bit of throttle and the revs come up a bit, and low and behold, your vacuum is now ABOVE the transition level at mild throttle operation when you are moving out from as top sign, and the PCV flows DROPS. Your transition operation is going to be messed up due to the change in air flow when it shouldn't and with the idle compensation you did to make it idle in the first place. The carb designers are not expecting the PCV flow to change in a backwards fashion with light throttle.

You can cause lots of off-idle stumbles with the wrong PCV vs your cam, and then mess with other things like timing that you shouldn't mess with to compensate for it.

We just experiment with different valves... or take the info that others provide.... like in this thread. You can take the hose for the PCV to base of the carb in hand, and swap different PCV's on and actually feel and hear the flow difference.

If your PCV has a higher transition vacuum level than your idle vacuum, then it is dumping in more air at idle and you may well be able to compensate for that. But then you apply a bit of throttle and the revs come up a bit, and low and behold, your vacuum is now ABOVE the transition level at mild throttle operation when you are moving out from as top sign, and the PCV flows DROPS. Your transition operation is going to be messed up due to the change in air flow when it shouldn't and with the idle compensation you did to make it idle in the first place. The carb designers are not expecting the PCV flow to change in a backwards fashion with light throttle.

You can cause lots of off-idle stumbles with the wrong PCV vs your cam, and then mess with other things like timing that you shouldn't mess with to compensate for it.

Well said. And you said you didn't know too much about it! lol

Never mind, i just remembered my edelbrock carb has a separate manifold vacuum port. Day has been too long lol
The PCV does not get connected to any old port. It must connect to the port designed for it which dumps into the carb base, between the idle discharge ports; do NOT use the powerbrake port , if you do, you will have distribution issues. Also; do not tee the power brake hose together with the PCV. Don't Tee anything into the PCV unless it is a fixed-orifice idle-bypass air.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here's some rambling thoughts;
on both the 292 and the 276 cams in my combo,
Once I got the transfer slots working right, the idle speed is controlled with timing. The more timing you give it, the higher the idle will go. Until you hit some pretty big numbers, which you can't run with every engine because of detonation. Nor is there a reason to, but that's a different story.
So now the transfers are working and I got the idle speed set. But depending on the combo, the engine may want more idle air, to smooth it out and to cure the stink in the exhaust. IDK what that stink is, that burns my eyes; I just know it goes away when Iget the idle air bypass working right.
So now with the bypass air worked out, the idle speed may have increased to an unpleasant high, so the only option is to retard the timing, back to a decent idle speed. But occasionally it happens that I gave it too much bypass air, and she won't idle down enough yet still have snappy timing. I mean it happens. So then I have to go back and take some of that bypass air out, and put timing back in. And so, back and forth it goes, until I hit the sweetspot.
But this sweetspot is different for automatics, than for stick cars...... cuz stick cars have their engines married to the tires, unlike the fluid coupling that autos enjoy.
Stick cars with high compression and anything bigger than about a 268* cam, will get real jumpy at low rpm, in first gear, with what I deem too much timing. This severely limits the lowest speed that you can drive it. And the reason for this, I have surmised , is that the power pulses are just too early and too powerful. And this behavior is instantly cured by retarding the idle-timing. I just keep retarding, and the idlespeed keeps dropping, and eventually the engine will stall; well that's too much retard,lol.
But if you get your carb's low-speed circuit working right, and the bypass air sized right, then even my 292/292/108 cam would idle down to 550 in gear with a starter gear of 2.66x3.55=9.44 (stick-car), with the idle-timing retarded to 5*. She would happily pull herself around the parking lot at 4 mph. I just can't turn, cuz she couldn't overpower the SureGrip.
Imagine what the idle vacuum was at 550, IDK what it was, that was year 2000.
Now imagine what the PCV was doing. IDK/ don't care, cuz she was not affecting the engine.
Now, come time to accelerate a lil, the hi-compression engine takes throttle quite willingly even at 5* idle timing. It ain't snappy, but at 4mph, we're just parading. I had a 750DP on that engine, and it had no hesitations or bogs. I don't recall ever nailing the gas at 550rpm/4mph/5* timing, so can't say how unhappy it mightabin about that, but that combo did spend a lotta time happily parading.
The point is this; most guys will tell you to run waaaay more idle-timing than necessary. Some will even tell you to set it with a vacuum gauge.
And if you have an automatic trans, you can get away with murder as to timing.
But you absolutely cannot get your transfer slots synced up, AND, get the bypass air set right,AND have a satisfactory idle-speed..... if you follow that advice. You can make it work, with the TC sucking up the herky-jerky, and the higher the stall the more you can get away with.... But I just gotta ask why? Below the stall, your engine will never be asked to work hard, so why does anyone care what the timing is down there? Why does everyone recommend numbers like; 18,20,25 degrees even?
I got an idea; why not let the engine decide what it wants.Whenever I do this, the idle timing comes in at 10 to 16.
So when I begin my tune, I just start in the middle.

But here's my back-up plan; I always start the tune with the transfer slot exposure a lil taller than wide. So if I can't get a low-enough idle, with a decent timing..... then I back off the speed screw, just a lil, and start over. Of course this also reduces the fuel delivery, but at this point, I can usually get what she needs from the Idle Mixture screws.

How do you know if your street combo needs bypass air?
Ok first, the biggest cam I have tuned is the 292/292/108, So I cannot speak to anything bigger. Then;
Easy; retard the idle timing to 14*, Making sure the Vcan is NOT working. Then adjust the rpm to 700N. If your exhaust is now stinky, you need bypass air.
If an automatic; lock the brakes and put it in gear. Reset the the idlespeed to 550rpm. Put it back in Park and check the rpm rise; If more than 150 rpm, you need bypass air.
If the rpm rises more than 250 rpm, you need a new or higher stall TC, or your engine is torque-handicapped,aka gutless.

Between 50 and 100rpm rise, is normal; occasionally 150 could be normal.

What's all this got to do with the PCV?
With a V8 and a performance cam, IMO, just stick anything on there, it will all come out in the setting of the bypass air.
This is also why I prefer drilling holes in the plates for bypass air, As the throttle opens, they do less and less and the PCV does more and more, until it hits its max.
Some guys have a poor opinion of drilling holes. But I have seen very powerful 2-stroke outboard marine engines from about every manufacturer you can name, and every one had holes in the throttles. You know how those engines idle? with fully closed throttles, and variable timing, sucking thru those little (sometimes not so little) holes in the blades.
But; So what? you say.
Hey, it's HotRodding; we do what needs to be done, usually in the simplest and easiest way possible.

Last edited:
The PCV does not get connected to any old port. It must connect to the port designed for it which dumps into the carb base, between the idle discharge ports; do NOT use the powerbrake port , if you do, you will have distribution issues. Also; do not tee the power brake hose together with the PCV. Don't Tee anything into the PCV unless it is idle-bypass air.

thanks, i have it in the middle port which is for the pcv, manual brakes so i have the booster port capped off on the back

You can't get the vacuum anywhere high enough in your mouth to simulate 12-15-18 in of vacuum and sense the flow change. You're probably just opening the PCV.... it is also a check valve to prevent flow from the intake into the crankcase. It would be bad idea to let the flow go the other way and allow the crankcase to suck in a fuel air mixture ready to burn! LOL What you are doing is an old test to see if the PCV is stuck closed.

The forward flow in an engine indeed drops with the higher vacuum above the transition vacuum level.

Well IDK about that. I know some girls that can pull a golf ball through a garden hose.

Ok guys forgive me but i still am confusing myself, ive reread the thread about 3 times. Im still having a hard time understanding the transitional value for the pcv vacuum. So for example if i had 10-12 inhg of vacuum at idle and had a pcv with a transition in the 8 inhg range wouldnt the pcv valve not open? I know its supposed to be less than idle vacuum but how is it only partially open at idle with the max vacuum level the engine has but open more with less vacuum? Is the valve in its farthest upward position with vacuum applied considered closed? Also where is the normally closed or partially closed position of the pcv? Because ive always though where the valve is sitting with no vacuum applied is considered closed. Or is this position just a check valve to close it off when the engine is off and prevents vapor from going in the opposite direction? Be easy on me lol i have a headache from reading

Im still having a hard time understanding the transitional value for the pcv vacuum.
The hole you see at the bottom is not the orifice, but rather the back-fire valve to prevent a cc explosion.
The actual orifice is at the other end. The valve is a tapered pintle affair, so depending on where it is at any one time, the tapered section controls the flow between minimum and maximum.

pcv-operation.gif

Last edited:
-
Back