crazy day

-
this is also one thing i like about nm. if it is on your property you have legal right to "stop" the perp, if the perp is in your home you have right to use deadly force without having to consider retreat(love the right to stand laws out here :) ) and btw you are an awsome nieghbor you need to move next to me

cool what is a designated shooter policy?? sounds safer than everyone pulling out their firearm lol
It's quite simple & logical, really. Responding officers are esentailly assigned a job to do at the call. One officer is the contact officer--the person who'll actually talk to the subject. Depending on the nature of the call & its locale another may be assigned a less-lethal force (stun-bag, taser, etc.) and one, perhaps two will be assigned as a shooter. It's the shooters responsibility to decide when to shoot. He is the sole person(s) whose job it is to neutralize the threat with lethal force at his discretion within Dept. policy. This avoids the risk of cross-fire, sympathetic respones from other officers & allows the responding officers to use less-lethal force if practical.
For the officers here that may feel I'm giving away "trade secrets" this is something any individual can find on other websites & its descriprition still doesn't prevent it from being applied. If anything it informs the general public there is STILL lethal force out ther even if tasers are deployed. And for States that have a "right to stand" law, stopping a perp doesn't instantly allow you to use deadly force or even a weapon to stop the suspect. Keep in mind the force has to be REASONABLE, so pumping a few 12ga. slugs into your neighbor's kid 'cause he tried to siphon some gas is only gonna get you jail time.
This can get very complicated very quickly & iI suggest anyone wanting to know specifics about this check with local law enforcement and/or police related websites to get clarification on their specific question or State laws.

It's quite simple & logical, really. Responding officers are esentailly assigned a job to do at the call. One officer is the contact officer--the person who'll actually talk to the subject. Depending on the nature of the call & its locale another may be assigned a less-lethal force (stun-bag, taser, etc.) and one, perhaps two will be assigned as a shooter. It's the shooters responsibility to decide when to shoot. He is the sole person(s) whose job it is to neutralize the threat with lethal force at his discretion within Dept. policy. This avoids the risk of cross-fire, sympathetic respones from other officers & allows the responding officers to use less-lethal force if practical.
For the officers here that may feel I'm giving away "trade secrets" this is something any individual can find on other websites & its descriprition still doesn't prevent it from being applied. If anything it informs the general public there is STILL lethal force out ther even if tasers are deployed. And for States that have a "right to stand" law, stopping a perp doesn't instantly allow you to use deadly force or even a weapon to stop the suspect. Keep in mind the force has to be REASONABLE, so pumping a few 12ga. slugs into your neighbor's kid 'cause he tried to siphon some gas is only gonna get you jail time.
This can get very complicated very quickly & iI suggest anyone wanting to know specifics about this check with local law enforcement and/or police related websites to get clarification on their specific question or State laws.

Completed and passed the CWP class last week and mailed off all the info for the CWP today. SC is a "right to stand" state. What I have found is there is a thousand situations that one can have himself involved in so you really, really got to use your head. For example a person with a CWP walks into a convenience store and there is a guy with a gun pointing it at the clerk... what should that person do?

My instructor never answered that question!! The classmates and I had all different answers. He said "See how all of you became the jury?"

Now if that person pulls his gun and has it pointed at the subject with the gun pointed at the clerk and the law pulls up what is the person to do then?

This is where I like the "designated shooter" policy because they are going to see the guy at the door with the gun first. At least there will be some sort of control going instead of a bunch of officers ready to shoot the good guy. Actually the threat isn't standing in the door way.... it's inside fixing to kill the clerk.

This could be right or could be wrong but my answer was this. I pull my weapon and kill the suspect as soon as I can. The reason I say that is because as soon as he sees me pull my weapon he is going to aim for me and therefore I have the right to shoot him. Now in SC " a bystander, friend, relative that has not caused the difficulty and his or hers life is in danger or personal injury will result " gives me the right to shoot the guy anyways. So it still has a lot of questions left unanswered still but just to have the peace of mind that I do have some sort of protection in this cruel world in my pocket is all I need.

In Florida, you can shoot someone that breakes into your property. Aboout a year ago, Man shot and killed two perps, that had broken into neighbores home, as they were leaving with goods. This was after he called 911, and told the operator he was going to shoot them. He was arrested and charged with manslaughter. He was let go based on the fact, the owner of the house, went on vacation, and asked the neighbor, to watch the place. The shooter was acting as if the property was his.
Some details might be slightly off, but this is esencially what happened.

In Florida, you can shoot someone that breakes into your property. Aboout a year ago, Man shot and killed two perps, that had broken into neighbores home, as they were leaving with goods. This was after he called 911, and told the operator he was going to shoot them. He was arrested and charged with manslaughter. He was let go based on the fact, the owner of the house, went on vacation, and asked the neighbor, to watch the place. The shooter was acting as if the property was his.
Some details might be slightly off, but this is esencially what happened.

See there you have it. Like my instructor said about the class had became the jury. The jury is going to waiver in the shooters favor every time when perp or preps are blown away. Any honest jury member will say " Notch one up for the good guys!"

To be honest this guy is very lucky to be let go. Deadly force should only be used if ones life is in danger or bodily injury will occur. (From my understanding) even though I have read the proper gun laws here in SC I still find myself going back to the SLED page.

It used to be that you would have to retreat and only after there was no retreat available you can fire your weapon.... not any longer "right to stand" has been added to SC.

im glad i,m in tx. too.with all the restrictions everywhere else you might as well sell your guns and buy a bat.

im glad i,m in tx. too.with all the restrictions everywhere else you might as well sell your guns and buy a bat.

TX is the best place in America to own a firearm.... isn't the state open carry instead of concealed carrry?

Shoot em' and make sure they can't tell their side of the story. Lay a knife beside them. The cops are never there unless you run a red light or go 6 mph over the speed limit or see you leaving a bar they are setting on!

Aint that the truth.

Completed and passed the CWP class last week and mailed off all the info for the CWP today. SC is a "right to stand" state. What I have found is there is a thousand situations that one can have himself involved in so you really, really got to use your head. For example a person with a CWP walks into a convenience store and there is a guy with a gun pointing it at the clerk... what should that person do?

My instructor never answered that question!! The classmates and I had all different answers. He said "See how all of you became the jury?"

Now if that person pulls his gun and has it pointed at the subject with the gun pointed at the clerk and the law pulls up what is the person to do then?

This is where I like the "designated shooter" policy because they are going to see the guy at the door with the gun first. At least there will be some sort of control going instead of a bunch of officers ready to shoot the good guy. Actually the threat isn't standing in the door way.... it's inside fixing to kill the clerk.

This could be right or could be wrong but my answer was this. I pull my weapon and kill the suspect as soon as I can. The reason I say that is because as soon as he sees me pull my weapon he is going to aim for me and therefore I have the right to shoot him. Now in SC " a bystander, friend, relative that has not caused the difficulty and his or hers life is in danger or personal injury will result " gives me the right to shoot the guy anyways. So it still has a lot of questions left unanswered still but just to have the peace of mind that I do have some sort of protection in this cruel world in my pocket is all I need.

the dilemma I see in this scenario & the Fla. inciident is that in both situations the private citizen is putting himself in a position where he has to shoot the suspect. Unlike a sworn police officer who has an obligation to to stop crime the citizen is taking it upon himself to remain in the situation & "fight" it out with the suspect which may or may not be judged a good shooting. That's why your instructor didn't answer your question. If he said you'd be right in shooting the suspect, he's authorizing you to put yourself in that position. If you're injured he may be liable( "My instructor told me it's okay to do this.") or he may be sued by the suspect if it comes to light he told you it was okay to intervene in what is essentially a police matter.
Understand, I'm not telling anyone to simply be a victim. I'm simply warning the posters here that without proper training, which includes role-playing, the decision to deploy a firearm is one far too serious & has long lasting effects to be taken lightly. The simple excuse "I was protecting my property" or " I was in fear for my life." simply doesn't hold up in Court anymore. The armed citizen (and there should be more of them, IMO) need to know the FULL scope of his actions, be able to articulate how,why and where he shot and be able to live with the consequences. Whether you live in the liberal Northeast or redneck Texas the shooting will be scrutinized, assessed for REASONABLENESS and the outcome based on that. Short of a direct , immediate deadly assault on oneself or another with no way to avoid it, I'd advise any CWP/CCW holder to keep it holstered despite the sense of obligation.

The scenario & the Fla. inciident is entirely different. The Fla incident is a guy shooting the preps as they was leaving. His life was not endanger or bodily injury would have occured. Like I said he was lucky to walk a free man but I like that the thieves are dead. lol

The scenario has someones life in danger or bodily injury can occur. If the CWP holder blows the guy away the jury will waive in his favor and he walks a free man.

I fully understand what you are saying and not saying you are wrong. A CWP holder needs to thank about the situation. What's going to happen and what's going to happen after in a matter of seconds.

. If anything it informs the general public there is STILL lethal force out ther even if tasers are deployed. And for States that have a "right to stand" law, stopping a perp doesn't instantly allow you to use deadly force or even a weapon to stop the suspect. Keep in mind the force has to be REASONABLE, so pumping a few 12ga. slugs into your neighbor's kid 'cause he tried to siphon some gas is only gonna get you jail time.

point taken like i said perp has to be IN your house cant just be close or on your property.... but in all serious as much as id love to say go kill em all i want to stress

IF YOU CAN AVOID THE SITUATION OR CONFRONTATION PLEASE DO, SOME PEOPLE ARE CRAZY AND WE DONT NEED TO LOSE ANYMORE GOOD MOPAR GUYS WE ARE SCARCE AS IS

Tell me about it.

Ive had my house robbed twice, a truck stolen from me, My job tools and job boxes broken into and pilphered many times my brand new Ram 1500 left on cinder blocks in my front yard with wheels and tailgate gone and that's just the latest.

Cops come...ho hum around and never ever do anything..no print taking, no asking neighbors if they saw anything, no kind of concern about my safety regarding stange people on my property.

But I go out in my car with tint on the windows and nearly get pistol whipped and 3 tickets to boot. No I was not speeding, swerving, drinking, no loud exhaust and I was kind and polite....NO BREAK. Tint on window tic, cover oon rear plate tic and improper front plate mount tic. Then he set it up so I HAVE TO GO TO COURT? $$$$$

What did I kill to many bugs with my evil tinted windows?

Broke *** cities and crooked ways to get more $$$ out of hard working tax payers bother me.

I know there are good cops...but there are too many LAZY cops that would rather fill a quota of fines, pull over little old ladies with expired tags than actually get involved with a real perp. It get's in the way of hooking up with their cop buddies behind the restaurant for quality BS time.

SAD

wow.. first I appluade your decision to help a neighbor out. BUT... that was handled alll wrong !!! As much as we think we are vigilante it is incorrect to hold someone at gunpoint for stealing what.... cd's? sunglasses ? maybe a radio ? Perhaps even a vehicle. Come on... First... you put yourself in danger. What if the dude didnt care you had a gun and he did.... and shot you ? Happens. You might have got a blast off, but then what ? Arrrg... I can go on and on about this. Here is the rule of weaponry and if you take criminal courses or even a CWP course you will find its states DONT PULL YOUR WEAPON UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO USE IT. Simple. Now... the dude that was stealing/breaking into... knows where you live, knows who you are, and trust me... he has friends. Now (in my opinion) you just jeopardized yourself. My thoughts are..... What did the cops say when they pulled up and saw you holding a dude at gunpoint ?? Did they take your weapon ? Did you call the cops and tell them you were holding a guy at gunpoint ? Sometimes a good idea turns bad. I think that if you had time to get your gun you had time to get a good description of the dude and maybe scare them off. Ya... they might get away with it... but it sure would ease my mind.

ok ok.. im done.... When you take the courses of Criminal justice... you will see that the situation can and should have been dealt differently.

however, that being said... we do apreciate people like you who will still watch out for neighbors.

best of luck.

-RPM

-
Back