Crossing state lines, with parts

-

Dodge33

Reaction score
My brother and I left at 11pm for Carlisle, last Monday night and everything was great even through all of Ohio, then we stopped in Eastern Ohio at a service plaza, and parked the rig from 3:45am till 6:20am for some rest. Then we started out again about 6:30am (we were on I-76 and then on I-80 into PA) and this is where it get's somewhat interesting. After crossing the PA state line, and an hour later, I am going down a steep hill with a nice curve leading to the left, and had switched into the fast lane because of a cop had a person pulled over on the right, and as we were going by, I had noticed the cop hurrying back to his car, (mind you, I was only driving 55-60 mph) and as I continued on, I noticed he was hot on my trail, so I'm thinking WTF is going on, and he followed me for 15 miles, before he
red & blue lighted me, so I went up the next hill, maybe a 100 yards, and pulled over. He came part way up to me, and I stuck my head out the window, and asked "whats the issue" and he replied, Drivers license, insurance and registration? So I ask again, whats the problem, and he say's, faulty equipment, and we are going to do a federal inspection on the vehicle and the trailer. Mind you....... by this time, I'm POed, and we are waiting for him to return, and as I'm looking back in my rear view mirror, here come's the FED Motor Carrier, he comes to the vehicle, and ask me to come to the rear of the trailer. He then proceeds to question me, about everything ( even tried to railroad me a few times, and give him an answer he was looking for!) He checked all the lights, emergency lights, turn signals, hitch, torsion equalizer bars, etc, etc. He claimed my hauler and trailer were over the maximum weight, but I mentioned him to scale me, and it went right over his head. So...... after 2.5 hours on the shoulder of the road, he came to our hauler, and cited us for being overweight, hauler & trailer, a small crack in the windshield, for being over the PA max weight of 10K, no breakaway switch on the trailer, and for no inspections (once you hit the PA state lines) and said we were a commercial vehicle, and for not having a log book. The FMC said they are looking very closely at all trailers, open, enclosed, or what have you, for any volations, faulty equipment, overweight, etc. so be very carful out there.
So, after a great Carlisle show we had, now I have already called the PA courts, and have well over 500.00 of fines to be paid to them, and also sales tax due in the near future. Also,
when we got to Carlisle, we did talk to some people from the state of PA, and they did tell us, that the State of Pennsylvania is basically broke, and they are looking for anything illegal, to make a buck on. IMO, it just is not fair, with all the other problems in this world that need to be addressed! With all this, my brother and I are really considering, not ever going back to Carlisle again, as myself and him just do not need to deal with this kind of matter, after my 23YO son passed away from cancer, and both of us are still dealing with the grieving. I hope I have shed a little light on hauling parts on an open trailer, as they did not like it anyway. I was born here in the USA, and thought this was a free country, guess not, feels more like communism. Take care everybody! Dodge33

Damn. That's total BS. Sorry about your troubles and losing your son.

We travel through Pa. a fair amount and you almost never see semis pulled over, so do they just pick on the little guys? Sorry you had to go through that, and for the loss of your son.

Jeff & Jerry:

I hate that they are infringing on our rights to fish for anything "illegal" so they can "steal" our money in "fines"....

When the FBI states that following the Constitution is "too bothersome"....

Freedom is getting farther and farther away now days.

It's a shame that they had to harrass you just to make a buck for their broke @sses...

I was considering going to Carlisle sometime, Maybe I shouldn't go through the "hassle"...

Sorry about your son. If you need to talk, you know my cell.

I hate to say it, but PA (Penndot in particular) are crooks.

Not only are they looking for anything illegal to fine to bring in money, but they're also resorting to performing illegal activities to bring in money. Everything from screwing people out of their registration (multiple times in a row) and forcing them to purchase it again due to "errors", to claiming factory equipment on a vehicle doesn't pass PA State Inspection standards.

For example : If you have a vehicle with fog lights, that uses a switch to turn on the fog lights (almost all brand new vehicles with fog lights are like this). You're given the option to remove the fog lights from your vehicle or modify the wiring harness to pass PA Inspection, because they don't turn on/off with the Low Beams.

I was under the impression that before a new vehicle could be released for sale in the US, it had to meet the regulations for the 50 States? (As well as emissions requirements aka 49 State & California Emissions equipment. And Crash Safety as well). If I'm correct there, wouldn't Penndot be fraudulently 'cooking' the books, and then turning around and claiming afterward it's not legal.

Not to mention they're raising the PA Gas Tax (By the time it reaches the "Goal" they have set, we'll have the highest gas prices in the country), as well as raising registration fees, driver's license fees, everything related to a vehicle. Because Penndot claims they need an additional 2.3 BILLION Dollars a Year for road maintenance. Do we have the worst roads in the country? Damn right we do. Ever watch a Penndot Road Crew fixing a road?

Picture this. 6 - 8 guys to patch a pothole (throw in a bag of that asphalt patch you can buy at Lowes/Home Depot). 1 is holding a Sign to tell drivers to Slow Down or Stop, the other 7 are sitting in a truck or leaning against shovels doing nothing. That'll go on for 2 - 4 days, for 1 pothole. And when they leave, the Pothole is worse than it was before they arrived.

I hate to say it, but PA (Penndot in particular) are crooks.

Not only are they looking for anything illegal to fine to bring in money, but they're also resorting to performing illegal activities to bring in money. Everything from screwing people out of their registration (multiple times in a row) and forcing them to purchase it again due to "errors", to claiming factory equipment on a vehicle doesn't pass PA State Inspection standards.

For example : If you have a vehicle with fog lights, that uses a switch to turn on the fog lights (almost all brand new vehicles with fog lights are like this). You're given the option to remove the fog lights from your vehicle or modify the wiring harness to pass PA Inspection, because they don't turn on/off with the Low Beams.

I was under the impression that before a new vehicle could be released for sale in the US, it had to meet the regulations for the 50 States? (As well as emissions requirements aka 49 State & California Emissions equipment. And Crash Safety as well). If I'm correct there, wouldn't Penndot be fraudulently 'cooking' the books, and then turning around and claiming afterward it's not legal.

Not to mention they're raising the PA Gas Tax (By the time it reaches the "Goal" they have set, we'll have the highest gas prices in the country), as well as raising registration fees, driver's license fees, everything related to a vehicle. Because Penndot claims they need an additional 2.3 BILLION Dollars a Year for road maintenance. Do we have the worst roads in the country? Damn right we do. Ever watch a Penndot Road Crew fixing a road?

Picture this. 6 - 8 guys to patch a pothole (throw in a bag of that asphalt patch you can buy at Lowes/Home Depot). 1 is holding a Sign to tell drivers to Slow Down or Stop, the other 7 are sitting in a truck or leaning against shovels doing nothing. That'll go on for 2 - 4 days, for 1 pothole. And when they leave, the Pothole is worse than it was before they arrived.

Sounds just like Michigan. And the amount they want to add to our gas is 25 cents a gallon. They are also talking about adding a tracking device to your car upon registration to add a per mile tax driven.

The state cops are bad on 80. Granted I don't know what your truck looked like, it may have been too overloaded. YOu never said what you drove and what you trailored. If you don't like the rules, then don't drive into the state, but it sounds like he may have stopped you for good reason.

Crossing state lines, with parts
Just so you know, the DOT in ANY state can pull you over for pulling a trailer, empty or loaded. They DO NOT need a reason. They can actually pull you over if you are driving down the road with a stepladder in the back.

It's all part of the Federal Safety Regs., I'm not saying it's right, but they do have that power.

What you should have done is stopped at the closest CAT scale and weighed your rig before leaving out.

In the future when you leave out from anywhere, stop and weigh it before you get pulled, CAT will go to court with you and help defend you in the case if you should get pulled over again for that. It costs 10 bucks, but it's good security.

Again, I'm not defending them by any stretch, I have to deal with them on a daily basis when I'm out in my big truck.

Unless your vehicle is registered to a business and you operate commercially I would seriously look into the log book violation. Also IF you are registered as a business you must have a chauffeurs liscense to drive that vehicle legally.

I know where you are coming from. I drove a semi for 30 years and logged over 2.5 million miles. Not only Pa., but Ohio and Tenn. used to give me hell sometimes. As far as over weight goes, today I took my sons derby car to the crusher up the road about 7 miles. It was stripped down with a lot of stuff they pulled for next years car. It was a little 2005 Nissan Sentra and I have an old duallie with a 16' utility open trailer and I am licensed for 10,000 lbs. When I pulled on the scale at the crusher, the scale read out 10580. car weighed 2460 lbs. so in actually a person cannot haul an abody legally with a duallie truck and trailer without being over weight. I have also went to the rock quarry and got a load of dense grade for my driveway with the truck alone and came out of there over 10,000 lbs. So you have to be careful of what you are doing. I agree with Bruce on the log book. You do not need a log book for personal use of your vehicle but the overweight was probably legitimate. As far as the break away on the trailer goes, Pa. has to reckonize what your home state requires. In Ky. , we do not have to have plates on the trailer. I believe Ohio does. So I can take my trailer into Ohio without plates as long as it is being pulled with a Ky. vehicle and be legal.

sorry or the loss of your son.
all this is one reason we west of the Mississippi HATE to go east of the mississipppi. guess I was lucky all the times I hauled the car trailer to nats and couple times to Carlisle. No trailer tag, no brakes, no breakaway, ....
at nats once in buddy's MO truck. got pulled over because we ONLY had a tag on front, none in rear. explained to him that in MO ( where we were from) on the 10,000 GVW truck, they only give you one tag and it is required to go on front. took quite a while to convince the dumb a__, that NO we weren't going to OHIO dmv and buy a OHIO tag!!! and NO we weren't gonna have a tag in back... true! LOL

I have never been to Carlisle for this exact reason. Pa. State Police are well known for harassing people pulling car trailers and campers. My truck, trailer and tie downs are rock solid and way overkill for what I do, and I pay extra for my tag to be good for 13,000 lbs. Still, I just don't want to deal with the hassle. All of my car friends from PA are exceptionally nice folks, as are 99.9 % of the rest of the people I have ever met from the state. Where they get the PASHP folks is beyond me...lol.

They can only guess at what's inside (can search with your permission or search warrant) but it they a loaded truck and trailer they go hmm but just looking at a u haul they don't go looking think someone is just moving. That said don't be afraid to drive into a scale house to get weighed.

They can only guess at what's inside (can search with your permission or search warrant)

The DOT does not need a warrant to make you open the doors to see what's in there, just like the DNR does not need a warrant to come into your home and search your freezer.. I have had them make me break seals on loads I have hauled so they can see what's in the trailer.

The DOT does not need a warrant to make you open the doors to see what's in there, just like the DNR does not need a warrant to come into your home and search your freezer.. I have had them make me break seals on loads I have hauled so they can see what's in the trailer.

If you're a class a driver carrying/hauling a load you're correct but a non commercial use be a no on that. It's all about unlawful search and seizure. It's all about knowing your rights, maybe it's different on the east side of the country but here on the west side of the country my glove box is locked so the trunk in the back and I know my rights so you'll need a warrant for that.

If you're a class a driver carrying/hauling a load you're correct a private citizen be a no on that. It's all about unlawful search and seizure. It's all about knowing your rights, maybe it's different on the east side of the country but here on the west side of the country my glove box is locked so the trunk in the back and I know my rights so you'll need a warrant for that.

You were referring to a U-Haul truck. A DOT cop can make you open the back door, he would need a warrant to search it, but not to look. It isn't search and seize, it's just inspecting the load.

The DOT laws are federal laws BTW, not state.

You were referring to a U-Haul truck. A DOT cop can make you open the back door, he would need a warrant to search it, but not to look. It isn't search and seize, it's just inspecting the load.

The DOT laws are federal laws BTW, not state.

I know dot laws are federal and I also know the moment they set foot into a (box) trailer it switches from looking to searching and that requires a warrant.

Oh I went back and read my previous post I get how that sounds I was referring to how the people handle the searching not to the laws themselves. My fault.

I know dot laws are federal and I also know the moment they set foot into a (box) trailer it switches from looking to searching and that requires a warrant.

That's correct, they cannot "search" the load without a warrant (unless you are placarded for dangerous cargo). They "can" make you open the doors to inspect.

I see U-Haul trucks pulled over all the time, in multiple states, the reason is some small businesses will use them to transport their product without putting anything on the door etc. I see Penske trucks, Ryder trucks etc as well.

Federal law allows a DOT cop to pull you over if you're driving down the road with a ladder in the back of your truck. They think you might be going somewhere to perform work for someone for pay.

It's a nasty business dealing with them. When I started driving trucks 35 years ago it was nothing like it is now.

Gosh I know, it wasn't this bad 10 years ago but the last 5 year or so have really stepped up. And those damn e-logs!

When I have to use E logs, I'm all done! I refuse to do it. I use loose leaf paper logs, just the way I like it. :D

-
Back