Cutting out a new Six Pac hood scoop

-

Donnie514

Reaction score
Ok everybody, you can all yell at me but that's not what I need.
Long story short, I got ripped off. New motor, new carpet, new rear gear, etc. all going in over the winter.
I purchased a heavy duty hinge type fiberglass hood from U.S. Body.
Optional 3" Six Pac hood scoop. Took the hood to a local body shop to have painted to match the car. It's a 1970 Duster 340 that is now a 408.
They charged me almost a grand, with most of the cash being for the paint. I know paint is expensive but these older A Bodies came with enamel paint and orange peel. They were even trying to talk me into doing the top of the fenders. Then the OEM hood would not match the original paint
Now my problem. They finished it then told me they did not want to cut out the scoop opening.
Does anyone know of a tool I should use to cut it out? I' am not claiming to be a body man but I was a auto technician for almost 50 years. I have a ton of tools including a Rockwell sonic crafter. If you know of a better tool give me a hint and I will purchase one
Thanks, Donnie

I used one of these when I cut open my hood. Mine is steel, don't know how floppy a fiberglass hood might be with a big hole in the middle of it. Yea, a grand for just painting a hood? Who was it? I live in Hartville, Ohio... don't wanna go there when I need paint work!

Cut off tool.jpg

Woulda coulda shoulda.. I would have cut the hole before it got painted...
I personally would drill a hole and use a jigsaw what's a fun blade like a metal cutting blade and go slow...

I feel your pain!
Would have been nice to know B4 they painted$$$ your hood!
If it makes you feel any better, I was quoted $700 to paint the hood on my brothers miata!
I'd agree with go real slow. Wonder if drilling and sawing it out inside the opening, and then sanding to the actual edge would be any safer? Of course protected with nice layer of tape!

I feel I should explain a little more. The hood it self is cut out but the 3' high 2 foot wide intake is solid. Thin but pugged up. Most likely 1/8" thick.

-
Back