cylinder heads / reaming valve guides?

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

friend of mine has got a set of worn J-heads, they need valves, guides, valve job etc.....full treatment. To save some money, is it a good idea to get some oversize stem valves and a reamer to refurbish the guides? Can anybody give me some info where to get this reamers? I think with .005" or .015" oversize i can fix the guides.....

What kind of clearance should i shoot for? Thanks for Info!

Michael

Can you drill them out and install the bronze sleeves? That was the repair back in the day.

You will spend just as much on new valve as new bronze liners.

Ill do it you will have new guides and new valves for the same money you will spend having a machine shop install the guide inserts im not sure if the seats must be reground after reaming the guides if thats necessary then it will be cheaper to install bronze inserts

Is this a car you plan to keep, or are you doing this to sell it to somebody you hope you never meet again?

IMHO the guide is the most important part of the head, don't cheap out here. Everything is referenced off the guide bore. I've never had really good luck with the K-line type liners (had a couple migrate). I would suggest thick wall replacement bronze of even iron guides.

As for valves with oversize stems, if such things exist I can think of no good reason to use them. And many bad things come to mind.

Hi Guys,

friend of mine has got a set of worn J-heads, they need valves, guides, valve job etc.....full treatment. To save some money, is it a good idea to get some oversize stem valves and a reamer to refurbish the guides? Can anybody give me some info where to get this reamers? I think with .005" or .015" oversize i can fix the guides.....

What kind of clearance should i shoot for? Thanks for Info!

Michael

Michael,

For information on Valve Guide Knurlers and Reamers.

* K-Line Industries {Shop Tools and Supplies} #616-396-3564
* Goodson Supply {Shop Supplies} #1-800-533-8010

thanks guys for the feedback. These heads are not for me, i´m trying to help a friend who´s on a smaller budget.....i´ll double check the possibilities and the related costs, we´ll see.

Michael

Yes there are valves with 0.015 oversise stems the factory manual says to ream the guides and use oversise stem valves.... They must weight the same as a std valve just as a 0.060 over piston weights the same as a STD one i dont think they will restrict the port either

The valves I've seen with .015 stems also had .030 over heads"rebuilder valves". I don't see why this wouldn't be acceptable for an econo build on a head that needs seats and guides and a bunch of work otherwise. They can be had for for about $90 a set.

Hi guys,

no progress with this heads so far.....i´m searching for a supplier for oversize stem Valves. Can anybody suggest a company?

Thanks!

Michael

Pick a company. Sealed Power, Melling, Manley, ......keep goin. They all offer them.

-
Back