Dad's 69 'Cuda Fastback...Where in the world is it?

-

WARH

Reaction score
Ok Guys. Here's a question/challenge for all of you. I'm trying to find a specific car. Here's the story.

In the mid 80's, my father acquired a 69 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback shell that needed lots of junkyard pieces to make whole again. I was just a little one back then, but remember the body of the car being 4 different colors as he was restoring it. He was trying to stick to a tight budget and just wanted to have fun with the car - so no numbers matched. He built an oddball 440 engine for it...and it ended up being a really nice car (however, extremely un-authentic). It was painted metallic maroon, had a center hoodscoop and a black interior. I spent a lot of time sitting on the workbench and playing with whatever parts were close at hand as he was building it, which ended up turning me into a pretty good car enthusiast (for a girl!)

To make a long story even longer.....he sold the car around '89 because he was having a hard time handling it (he has Multiple Sclerosis and his condition was slowly deteriorating). Around that same time, my oldest brother turned 15 and dad didn't want any of us killing ourselves in a car that was way to powerful to have around us teenagers. Of course, he didn't keep any records of who he sold it to or even the VIN number of the car (damn!) and his memory hasn't filled the gaps.

I would very much like to find this car and hopefully acquire it to my ever shrinking garage (that would be my boyfriend's fault - the current project is a '65 Cobra replica kit by Hurricane - but that's a WHOLE NUTHER story).

Seeing the look on dad's face if he were to lay eyes on it again: Priceless.

If anyone has any information, please let me know!

Kerianne Sidoti
Cleveland, Ohio

When Im out an about Ill be sure and ask and see if anyone can remember it. Ill also check with a couple of older Mopar guys I know. The car was here in Cleveland right?

Hey Ron - I really appreciate the help! I can't thank you enough.

Actually, the car was in Madison, Ohio. Rumor was it sold to a guy in Perry, Oh that had 6 Cudas (some for parts). The rumor continued that dad's wasn't one of the ones he used for parts. 8)

Take a look to see if you have a pic of it showing the license number. You might be able to gleen some info with that. That's how I found my first 69 runner and bought it back

T thats a great idea on the plate #. It also got me thinking that the info should be able to be found if you can figure out what insurance company your dad had. I know that my mother still has the same insurance for her house and cars that she has had for the past 40+ years. Just a thought.

Well....I did a bit more digging...came up with some pictures, a plate and the VIN number. Course - no one will give me any more info. Here are some before and after pictures.

DSCF2945.jpg

DSCF2946.jpg

DSCF2947.jpg

DSCF2948.jpg

DSCF2945.jpg

DSCF2946.jpg

DSCF2947.jpg

DSCF2948.jpg

The before shot definitely showed one of the late 70's/80's paint schemes on it. When you say that no one will give you any additional information, are you taking about DMV? I am not familiar with OH but here in CA there are quite a few ways to pull up past/current owner info with a plate # (and especially a VIN). Keep digging.

Also, one other suggestion. To avoid diluting your search, try and stick to one thread about this. This way, other members can keep focused on it as well and possibly help you out. Good luck with your endeavor.

Thanks - I'll keep to this post. Being new to the forum, I wasn't sure which place was better to post.

I tried the BMV, the title bureau and the police. the title bureau was able to tell me that it hasn't been titled in 7 years (as long as they keep records), so whoever has it has had it for a while. The bmv and the police can't provide me with any information legally and won't even try. I'm not giving up....i should be able to dig up something with the VIN number. I hope.

Kerianne now that you have the VIN number it gets really easy. At least finding its last known owner and location. Go to carfax.com and you can do a title search with the VIN. Its around $30. Good luck and keep us posted!!

I thought it would be easy once I found the VIN number. not so, though. The VIN number is pre 1981, when VIN numbers were standardized to 17 digits. the VIN number for the Cuda is 13 digits. Carfax calls it an "invalid" number. I was able to decode the VIN on www.decodethis.com, so it is a valid number.

I paid the $30 at www.government-records.com and came up empty.

Still working on it.

thats a beautiful car.OK guys who,s hiding it. She cant make you give it back.lol. One scary thought is a lot of old mopars have been shipped over seas

That was one cool looking cuda.

Your dad was a cool dude.

I miss those thick Ohio, Pennsylvania deer hunting woods like you have in the background of the one pic.

if you do have a plate number where can you go & do a search

im tryin 2 find a car from the past

Hey is that you standing next to your dad who is sitting in the car? COOL!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Aloha

Yeah, the short little redhead is me. (yikes - I barely remember being that young - but I remember that picture being taken)

I'm pretty excited that i found those pictures. The first time I tried to look for them (about a year ago), I came up empty. :-D

Ok. now I'm nervous. I have a lead! (which has everything to do with circumstance, and nothing to do with sleuthing)...and everything that points to this guy tells me he's actually the guy that bought it from my father...who knows what kind of condition it may be in after 20 years, no one has seen it in a while.

Left a message for who I think is the owner (who also happens to be fairly local).........time will tell. Wish me luck. 8)

My dad had a 68 Dart GTS 383 4-speed. I have thought about trying to find it, but even if I did I could never afford to buy it for him, It is all he ever talks about when we talk cars. When he sold it it wasn't numbers matching it had a 68 440 in it, but was still the 4-speed. It is probably long gone he sold it around 1980 when I was only about 4 years old, but my older brother still remembers the car and tells me how much it meant to dad. And the main reason he sold it was beacause the family was getting bigger and he quit racing because money was tight. Maby one day I'll try to hunt it down and have the money to buy it but he is getting older and money always seems to be an issue. Even if I could find it and just let him see it again that would be really cool. Might have to try it sometime. Good luck with the search.

For those of you looking for a car from the past....keep looking, or start looking. If I'd have started my search seriously a couple years ago, instead of being half-assed about it, I may have found it during the time frame the current owner was willing to sell it.

well. good news. I made contact with the current owner, who happens to be the guy that bought the car from my dad 20 years ago, and still lives close. He hasn't changed much on the car, just "drives the heck out of it". It's currently not for sale, which is ok.... I'm very glad to have finally found it, and appreciate just how small the world really is. :-D

I'm hoping that maybe we can work something out so I can take dad to see the car at some point....and patiently wait for the current owner's son to decide he doesn't want to buy it.

Thats GREAT! Im glad you at least located it for now and you just never know when he might be willing to let it go down the road. I'd be willing to bet that when that time comes you are the first he will call. I had actually talked to a friend last night that owns the Carpet One store in Madison (big car guy) and he remembered your Dads Cuda.You are right, it sure is a small world. Again, glad to hear you found out where its at!!

-
Back