Daily driver advice...

-

Dart_Guy

Reaction score
Here is the problem... I have been driving my 96 cherokee for 3 years. it is the longest I ever drove a vehicle so I am gettign itchy. (it was paid for from day one so I have not had a payment in years)

Option one:
Lift the cherokee to make it more fun to drive. Not a measly budget boost. I am talking 8 inches with 36 in tires. New axles and all.
Cons of Jeep: it has rust... I am going to crawl under it this weekend and diagnos the extent of rust.

Option two:
Sell the cherokee and buy a mid 60's D100 and fix it while I drive it. My commute is pretty short so I hardly add miles to a vehicle. It would be fun to drive and work on it. I have seen them come and go for what I can sell my Jeep for.

My wife has a reliable vehicle, so no worries as far as having a daily driver that may have problems...

Am I a fool wanting to do this while I still have a dart in the garage that takes a lot of my time? And my Jeep runs great with 150,000 on a 4 litre. It still has a lot of poop and life left in her. I am thinking she'll go to 200,000 or more.

You sound just like me. Man do I get bored with my daily driver quick. Heres what Im doing since Im ready to get a new 1. Ive come up with some rules to keep me in line. No more cars until the Barracuda is done (within reason, interior finish up stuff not included) It works good for me because I have to keep my 4x4 through the winter and around the time spring rolls around the fish should be ready and I can also get a new DD so that will basically give me 2 new (well new to me) cars. Just my 2 cents.

I set some limits, but I hit that... 3 years ago I said I am going to drive the Jeep for at least 3 years before I consider a new driver. Well, it has been over 3 years and the Jeep is running strong... But I am getting itchy.

Not sure why I get bored with my ride so quick.

I find myself cruising craigslist, nearly every morning with my coffee.

After what you said I agree. Go for the new daily driver.

I agree with Adam; it would only take time/money/energy away from the Dart.
JMHO
C

I agree with Adam; it would only take time/money/energy away from the Dart.
JMHO
C

This is what my voice of reason is telling me... But the other voice is getting louder. (Maybe I should be more worried about the voices and not the car huh... lol)

Put the swepline on the jeep frame, then you get the reliability of any weather 4wd,fuel injection, A/C and cruze with the cool looks of an old dodge. And make an awsome looking tow vehicle

Put the swepline on the jeep frame, then you get the reliability of any weather 4wd,fuel injection, A/C and cruze with the cool looks of an old dodge. And make an awsome looking tow vehicle

I guess, I should clarify... It is a 96 cherokee, so no frame. Cool, idea though!

Here is my last Cherokee that I lifted... It was rear ended and the uni body was crushed and totaled. It was D60 Rear, D44 front, 35's geared for 37 to 40 inch tires so I could spin the 35's on asphualt. And locked. I built it as a daily driver until one day I could thrash it on the trail... it got hit so we thrashed it. My buddy now has it in PA, sitting on 52's... Its a a freak.

I found another 96 just like it for only 2000 and that is what I drive now. I intended to lift it too, but found the Dart... and a new love affair began.
The second pic was with 37's after the accident during the first of many thrashings. Yes we welded the back doors shut. It keeps the unibody from twisting as fast. Last time I drove it had no rear door and most the unibody tak welds were popped so the whole thing was shaking...

Dscf0011.jpg

100_1146.jpg

100_1144.jpg

smallDSCN0249.JPG

Also, I am the guy in the back seat in the pic... My buddy from PA wanted to drive a colorado trail... He saw the first gate to a trail and said "you want me to drive up that?"

Make the Jeep your week end thrasher, Get the D100 drop in a 383, paint it black primer, and mud. Make the corporate stiffs at the office cringe, and besides no one 'cept kindred will park next to you. Man should not limit himself to only one toy.

Make the Jeep your week end thrasher, Get the D100 drop in a 383, paint it black primer, and mud. Make the corporate stiffs at the office cringe, and besides no one 'cept kindred will park next to you. Man should not limit himself to only one toy.

I like the way you think.

Get the D100 and go stroker big block 500 ci or more. :) Now you can leave two black streaks from home to work. How fun would that be?

-
Back