Dakota front gears into a 7 1/4 rear?

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
In the parts for sale section there is a posting for Dakota front diff gears that could be used in a 7 1/4" rear. Is this correct?

I'm curious about this also. seems like it would be fine. why create a new part when an existing one would work.

as I've stated before, the 1987-1990 (may have gone on later, but I don't know) 4x4 Dakotas used 7-1/4 diffs in the front and the 2.5L Dakotas had 7-1/4 rears. I just can't confirm that the carrier is splined to take solid axles

Not sure of the years but i believe dakota from 86 to 90 only used the same gear in the 7.25 front, not after that.

That's about what i'd say supershafts, I'm working on tearing down the Dakota that is our answer right now, and it's been a nice troublesome job to yank the carrier from it thus far, I'm having a hard time telling if the carrier uses C-clips to retain the axles or not. I have another Dakota with a 7-1/4 rear (1987 4cyl truck) that is solid and as far as i can tell should go into an A body 7-1/4 as a bolt in, I'll dig out my Dakota books and find out what gears were available in the 7-1/4 rear, SO FAR I've only found 3.50s and 3.90s in early Dakotas and I wouldn't be surprised if those were the only gears available

According to Hollander Interchange 2.76 ratio, 3.23 ratio and 3.55 ratio is all that was available in a 1987 Dakota 7.25 rear end.

It shows a 7.25 rear end assembly all the way through 1996 and those ratios are shown all the way through.

Wouldn't the front ring and pinion gear be reverse teeth to compensate for the fact that it's facing backwards? you'd have to flip the rear end to use a front ring and pinion would you not?

Wouldn't the front ring and pinion gear be reverse teeth to compensate for the fact that it's facing backwards? you'd have to flip the rear end to use a front ring and pinion would you not?

I think the ring and pinion part numbers are the same for front and rear axels.

actually i think the transfer case rotates the driveshaft to the front in the opposite rotation to the rear drive shaft

According to Hollander Interchange 2.76 ratio, 3.23 ratio and 3.55 ratio is all that was available in a 1987 Dakota 7.25 rear end.

It shows a 7.25 rear end assembly all the way through 1996 and those ratios are shown all the way through.

I have yet to see a 87-90 dakota equipped with 2.76's or 3.23sregardless of the axle/engine combo lol, the 87 REAR i have is equippped with 3.55's, as is my 1987 4x4 truck, tow package Dakotas were typically equipped with 3.90s or 3.55s depending on what was ordered etc. and 3.90s were an option on even standard duty trucks, such as my Mopar Express Dakota

hopefully tomorrow or wednesday we'll know if front carriers from 4x4 Daks will work in A's, so far tearing down my guinea pig to get to it's carrier has involved removing the entire front suspension

I do not believe its the same as the front or the rear 7.25, after like 90 the front changed to a different 7.25...

Becareful they changed in the early early part of the 90's, and definitely not the same in 96, just like the 9.25 changed a few times over the years and is different again since 11

-
Back