damn rod cap (update cap found)

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
:Dwell out of town working and have my stuff sitting on the table in my shop.. my son and his friends use the shop to do god knows what and have moved my stuff around and now I cant find my rod bearing cap... just a stock cap but I don't think I can just get a cap and replace the 1 that is gone with out any problems ..he is looking for the lost cap and hope that he finds it.. but what should,could I do this is a cheap low buck build???????can I just replace it with another cap and be done ???? or would I have to have some work done??? I hope he finds it as from now on the shop will be locked and no 1 will use it unless I am home.. going to give him his own tool box so when they lose or break something its his mess..:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

well out of town working and have my stuff sitting on the table in my shop.. my son and his friends use the shop to do god knows what and have moved my stuff around and now I cant find my rod bearing cap... just a stock cap but I don't think I can just get a cap and replace the 1 that is gone with out any problems ..he is looking for the lost cap and hope that he finds it.. but what should,could I do this is a cheap low buck build???????can I just replace it with another cap and be done ???? or would I have to have some work done??? I hope he finds it as from now on the shop will be locked and no 1 will use it unless I am home.. going to give him his own tool box so when they lose or break something its his mess..:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

You can just use any cap because the cap is machined to the rod. You will need another rod or have it resized with another cap if the original cap can't be found.

I would say you would have to have it resized if you replace it

i would get another cap and see/feel how it fits the rod. if it is a flush fit inside the journal area, i would run it. i have faith your MIA cap will be found...

:violent1::violent1::violent1:I hope my cap is found cause if not the shop will be locked.. tired of my tools being lift out , put up dirty, and broken and put back in place like nothing has happen....I told them if you use it put it back, if you move it put it back, if you break it you replace it.....but seems to be a joke and I am tired of it...broke my tape measure a few weeks ago wrapped it around the damn case and put it back in the tool box...:thumbdow::thumbdow::thumbdow::thumbdow::thumbdow:

Using a different cap you will need to have the rod resized. Piece of cake but don't let your Boy know that!! Pretty sure I have quite a few of them if you need one. I will look and send it to you for nothing.

Yup, Lock it up. Hard move but its gotta be done & your Son and his friends are on the **** list until they can respect YOUR space!

big block 400:violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1:

ive got a few extra sb rods but i dont think ive got any bb rods. if it were a sb i would give u one.

Never swap caps without remachining the rod. That Bore is tight toleranced and the crush is the only thing that keeps the bearing from spinning.

I was a kid like that... Trust me - lock the shop. It will really piss him off but it will help teach him responsiblity - especially for others' things.

Pm me, i have some stock rods that are in the scrap pile i can send you a cap from, and as stated you will need to have it resized, $12 around here, hope that doesnt blow your budget lol

thanks guys for all the help and offers I have found the cap.. some one moved it and placed it in a bucket with a top on it on a shelf... now I feel better.....so all is good now but the locks are still going on.....:prayer::prayer::prayer: just tired of everything being moved out of place and when I go to work on the car I have to find my stuff..then everytime I want to clean the shop out I am all alone...:violent1::violent1::violent1:

I'm with you, NO ONE goes into my shop when I'm not around because of the same thing you experienced. I came to that realization after I came home from working out of town and all the parts for the twin 2 x 4 carbs I was rebuilding for a customer were scattered all over the work bench. My step-son and his buddies decided to toss a Frisbee around in the garage because it was cold outside, and their excuse was, "it's just a bunch of old junk parts". From that day forward, there is a lock on the doors and I'm the only one with the keys.

-
Back