Dana60 question

-

XakEp

Reaction score
Apparently the owner of this 1973 Duster put a Dana60 in it before he sold it to me. At least, I think it is. I got under the car and the rear cover looks just like the pics that I've seen of others on the web. Is there any other way to be sure?

Also, it also apparently has some REALLY short gears in it. Like 2.73 or so. I'd like to get some 3.90s in there if possible. Where do you guys suggest going for those? Summit?

img007pq4.jpg

Theres a photo - what do you guys think?

First thing I'd do is pull the cover and count teeth to find out what your ratio is and also check for either a limited slip diff or open. While you're in there check her for condition. There are outfits out there like Summit with a good selection of gears for the 8 1/4". In a light A body I'd say that rear will take 400 HP but the other guys might beg to differ, hell I even saw one survive behind a 440 and a hard shifting 727 but only for a short while. :evil2:

Terry

What gears can I put in without modifying anything? As you can prolly guess, I'm not exactly a master mechanic.

Edit - Most I want to make is 300HP, so I think this rear will be fine.

XakEp said:

Looks like either of them will work fine. The 8-1/4 will be fine with 300 hp. I ran one in my 93 Dakota with a 318 that was putting out right at 300 hp and I raced it for years and never tore it up.

BTW: If you haven't ever installed a gearset don't try it without at least a good manual and the proper tools to set the pinion depth and backlash or they'll howl and not last any time.

Deffinetly also make sure it is a sure grip or putting in the lower gears will just cause you to smoke the right tire and not go anywhere. It looks like the stock rear end the car came with so it's propably not a sure grip.

I'm willing to admit I'm in over my head. I can do simple things like an intake manifold etc etc, but I'll have to pay someone to do the rear end. What do you think it'll cost me to have a shop (mopar friendly) do the gears?

The previous owner put some big tires on the rear. Think it'll have problems with traction?

pic00144hr4.jpg

Depending on rear tire diameter, if you're crusing around town and a few blasts at the strip the 3.91's are the way to go. But if driving at highway speeds for any amout of time I'd go for the 3.55's. I'd be guessing what the time to change gears on a 8 1/4 would be but I'd say 5-6 hours, I've only ever done 8 3/4 and dana 60's by myself and taking my time. Shop around and get a few prices and like was said by Fishy you diffenately want a sure grip and I'd recommend the clutch disc type over the cone type but with the 8 1/4 you may not have a choice.

Terry :burnout:

Car will usually not see much highway at all. Its a cruiser/play car. I'm in Denver, anyone have any suggestions of what shops in the area to call?

XakEp said:
I'm willing to admit I'm in over my head. I can do simple things like an intake manifold etc etc, but I'll have to pay someone to do the rear end. What do you think it'll cost me to have a shop (mopar friendly) do the gears?

Go to a shop that specials in 4x4 work. They will be much more experienced at doing that kind of work.

A shop with the proper tools should be able to do it in a couple of hours. The pinion is marked with the depth it is supposed to be at so if they have the correct tools there is no trial an error with the marking paste involved.

FWIW, it took me about 5 hours of slow and careful work to swap gears in my 8.25 and get it set up. That was with the axle on the bench.

ide check that tag on the rear cover most of those 8 1/4 came with 3;21 gear ratio
8 1/4 isnt a bad rear,,its deffinitly better then an 7 1/4

i had a 7 1/4 live behind a stock 340 on the street a long t ime,,,,
so that 8 1/4 will be fine

-
Back