Darn shifter knob

-

Brambles

Reaction score
OK i've read the last post on removing the shifter knob and so far I can't figure it out.

Is the black button suppose to unscrew independant of the brown knob. If i Push the button in all the way and scew clockwise it all tightens up and the knob stays down, I can uscrew it for a bit until the button pops up and then she's freewheelin.

If I hold the brown knob and try and turn the black button counterclockwise It won't move!!! do I have to put some more muscle into it or is my techinque wrong.

Thanks

They both come off together, what usually happens is they get screwed on to tight at the top, then when you go to loosen it, the cable just unscrews from the bottom instead of the top. Try to tighten it as tight as you can without breaking it then give it a quick snap to loosen and it might break loose at the top and come off. The cable does not come out but it screws into the knob and also into the lever at the bottom end of the shifter.

Well I tried the whole tightening thing and while I did get the knob off it didn't happen like you described, the cable broke or came out of the lever at the bottom, actually looks to clean to be a break.

The shifter cable should have a threaded stud on each end. The upper should unscrew from the plastic knob. The lower was thread staked to the shifter paw and installed from the bottom up.
If your cable is broken it's not the first. Good luck

Well now the cable installs from the top, still works cause all it does is allow you to put downward pressure on the lever, but if a guy wants to remove it all they have to do is pull straight up on the button and the cable will com out.

Where can a guy get a new cable?

I've never seen a replacement cable. Don't know what would be a fair price for a good used one. Community opinions welcome.
I have repaired a couple over the years. A phillips head screw provides a decent center or starting place for drilling. So drill a hole in a screw , cut off the remaining head. Braze the cable in .

-
Back