Dart Rearend

-

new2muscle

Reaction score
My 73 dart has a 71/4 rear end and I was just curious as to what a good,reliable rear end would be to replace this one and what types of modifications I will have to do to my car to swap one out etc etc.

How much power are you going to throw at it? The 8-1/4 will handle moderate power, the 8-3/4 more, and the Dana 60 even more. Then there are brand-X choices...

8 1/4 is probably the easiest to come across. As stated above, these can handle the power output of a stock to maybe 350 HP application. These were found in 73-76 A-body V/8 cars and are a bolt in swap. You can find them in other Mopars and Jeep cherokees but they require some modifications to bolt under your A-body.

I agree with the A body 8.25 from a cost & bolt in standpoint, as long as gear ratio isn't a priority.....meaning just a driver?

You'd be lucky to find, in a reasonable amount of time, a used 3.21 geared 8.25, especially with a sure grip. If two series gears are cool with you, that's what I'd look for.

If you really want a 3.23 or higher (numerical) gear set, I'd keep a eye out for a A body 8.75. It's gonna cost you, but by the time you sink $$$ into the 8.25 to get what you want, you'll probably at least break even with the 8.75, and have a superior rear end that can take just about anything you could throw at it.

Just my opinion, Rick

I'm guessing a 73' with a original 7.25 was likely a /6 or a teen with front drums. I thought those used a small bolt pattern, but frt. disk cars were the 4.5" pattern? I always get so confused about these 73 up cars...lol. I guess we need to hear from the OP to see what they really have now?

I could be wrong but I think it is like this - up to and including 72 is all small bolt pattern, 72 was the last year for 8 3/4 in A body (perhaps 73?). 72 and down 4 piston discs are small bolt pattern, all 73 and up discs (single piston) are large bolt pattern, and 73 and up drum brake cars are small bolt pattern

Definitely all 8 3/4 A body rears are small bolt pattern

I could be wrong but I think it is like this - up to and including 72 is all small bolt pattern, 72 was the last year for 8 3/4 in A body (perhaps 73?). 72 and down 4 piston discs are small bolt pattern, all 73 and up discs (single piston) are large bolt pattern, and 73 and up drum brake cars are small bolt pattern

Definitely all 8 3/4 A body rears are small bolt pattern

72 Last year for the 8 3/4. I agree with the rest.

Its a 318 with single piston front disc so yea,large bolt pattern. Id like to keep that bolt pattern. Im not planning on drag racing it or hot rodding it all over i just want it to be able to withstand some abuse if i decide i want to get on it. If i put in an 8 1/4 will i have to do anything to my driveshaft? Always hear of people shortening driveshafts but i feel like thats more of a transmission issue.

The distance from the axle's center line to the yoke where the driveshaft bolts up is a different measurement on all rears. More likely than not the shaft will have to be altered.
I know there are specific year's on the Cherokee that will work, but I'm sure which ones. But you will have to do some mods to it. They mount totally different.

What year jeep cherokee and what type of modifications would i have to do to make it work?

One axle side shortened and the long axle replaced with another short one.
You need both sides the same length.
Move the spring perches to be aligned with the Mopar springs.
A different yoke, and shortened drive line.
Proportioning valve for the brakes if installing the disc rear end.

That is the major stuff, and apparently the ebrake connects pretty easily to the jeep disc rear end.

Well i know like a 91-96 cherokee has an 8.25 with a 27 spline axle and the 96-01 i think has an 8.25 with 29 spline i think. All those modifications dont sound like it would be too hard. How are axles shortened? Oh no,stillwater people found me. The jig is up ha. Didnt think that would happen. Small world

-
Back