Dash lights will not turn off!! 72 dart

-

RobertC99

Reaction score
Got a weird 1, been having lots of issues with oriellys alternators been through 4 because they are junk the last 1 jumped up to 18.2 volts at 1 point on my voltage gauge and maxed out the alternator gauge on the dash, switched over to autozone alternators no problem so far but now my dash lights will not turn off on my 72 dart after that alternator did that, it's intermittent but it's been draining the battery and not sure where to look, I tried the headlight switch because thats what caused them to turn off before playing with the dial but I reached in the dash and un plugged the switch and they stayed on, ive looked over the basics so far making sure i got no melted wires or pinched together wires and so far have not seen anything, have not pulled the instrument cluster it's self out yet, I have a car show tommorow so I just disconnected the battery cable for tonight, included a pic of the back of the instrument panel I can access without pulling it, since I haven't got to that yet and the voltage i saw on my voltage gauge, i also replaced the voltage regulator with the alternator and everything has been fine since then other then the dash lights problem

20240703_211141.jpg

20240630_150727.jpg

Your high charging could be a dirty or bad buklhead connrctor and the dash lights could be a bad ground that's what i would check first .

Your high charging could be a dirty or bad buklhead connrctor and the dash lights could be a bad ground that's what i would check first .
Thanks for the reply, I've got the high charging fixed but I'll go through and check everything out too, it was something faulty on the alternator I took a multimeter and the stud on the alternator was 18.2 volts jumped over 19v at 1 point too, but I'll have to check the grounds for the dash for sure

Got a weird 1, been having lots of issues with oriellys alternators been through 4 because they are junk the last 1 jumped up to 18.2 volts at 1 point on my voltage gauge and maxed out the alternator gauge on the dash,

Yes we can see the damage. Any time the 'alternator gage' is maxed damage will occur. The only unknown is how much damage and how soon. The gage is showing current. Current is electrons moving. The gage indicates how many electrons moving through it - litterally around the base of the needle causing a magnetic field that moves the needle. Needle fully at C = Battery charging 40 amps (way too much). Needle fully at D = battery discharging 40 amps, also way too much.

I tried the headlight switch because thats what caused them to turn off before playing with the dial but I reached in the dash and un plugged the switch and they stayed on, ive looked over the basics so far making sure i got no melted wires or pinched together wires and so far have not seen anything, have not pulled the instrument cluster it's self out yet, I have a car show tommorow so I just disconnected the battery cable for tonight, included a pic of the back of the instrument panel I can access without pulling it, since I haven't got to that yet and the voltage i saw on my voltage gauge, i also replaced the voltage regulator with the alternator and everything has been fine since then other then the dash lights problem

Please do not drive the car with the alternator uncontrolled. Alternator producing power around 18 Volt will burn things up, and cook the battery.
You've probably noticed that items provided electricity at higher voltage, will draw more power.
For example, turning on the headlights with the engine off, the lights are dim. This is because they are only getting battery power at 12.5 Volts. When the engine is running, they are getting power from the alternator - approximately 14.5 volts. The bulb draws more current when the voltage is higher.
When voltage is high enough, the bulb will draw so much current it burns out right away.
The battery is similar,except it will cook the acid.

More about battery charging here

1 jumped up to 18.2 volts
This is a regulation problem. The alternators may be contributing to it, but the problem that needs to be fixed is the circuit.
If you have a hand held multimeter you can narrow down the issue.
With the engine running check the voltage at several locations. The question we want to answer is what voltage is the regulator sensing compared to the voltage the alternator is generating?
Measure: Voltage at alternator output compared with voltage at alternator feed (blue wire), and/or compared with votlage where the blue wires are joined at the ballast resistor.
Those are the two closest locations in the curcuit to the regulator's sense terminal.

If there is a voltage difference between the alternator output and the field terminal, then some or all of the problem is in the circuit.
If the output voltage varies with rpm (increasing together) then the regulator is damaged (full fielding).

Replacement alternators can contribute to the problem when they have been built with rotors that draw twice as much current as the factory intended. I suspect that many regulators can not handle the higher field current. Higher field current also magnifies any resistance in the circuit wiring.

Don't forget, Mattox the high charge problem could be right at the alternator---the infamous wrongly configured field connections

Anyhow the lights...........Only thing I can think of is that you overheated the harness with the charge problem, and it internally melted some wiring and crossed wiring

It is IMPORTANT that you understand how this works

Power for the instrument lamps in the headlight switch comes from the tail/ park part of the switch. First make certain those are coming on/ off properly with the switch.

That circuit feeds power TO the dash dimmer control

Does the instrument dimmer (twist the headlight switch knob) have any effect?

Now the dimmer control feeds it's output, on tan, down TO the instrument fuse in the fuse box. This is the ONLY fuse that works this way. From that fuse, ALL dash dimmer controlled lighting is fed out on ORANGE wiring

Next pull the INST fuse. This is normally located at one end of the fuse box.

If that kills the lights, then you either have a harness "cross," or some modification by you or others in the harness has caused a problem

DASH LIGHTS

Now to your question about the dash lights.

The instrument lights, radio light, and similar options are a branch from the parking and tail light circuit.
That branch occurs inside the headlight switch.

-> Power goes in the B2 terminal and then can split off through the dimmer control.
- > Power then goes out the I terminal to the 3 amp fuse in the fuse box.
-> Power leaves the fusebox on an 18 or 20 gage orange wire(s) going to the instrument & radio lamps.

To figure out why its not turning off, one approach might be to check for power at the 3 amp fuse. If its has voltage, pop the fuse. If the side feeding the lamps still have power - then its a cross wire short. If only the input side has power, then its headliught switch or wire going out of it.

(edit; Treed! )

Don't forget, Mattox the high charge problem could be right at the alternator---the infamous wrongly configured field connections

Anyhow the lights...........Only thing I can think of is that you overheated the harness with the charge problem, and it internally melted some wiring and crossed wiring

It is IMPORTANT that you understand how this works

Power for the instrument lamps in the headlight switch comes from the tail/ park part of the switch. First make certain those are coming on/ off properly with the switch.

That circuit feeds power TO the dash dimmer control

Does the instrument dimmer (twist the headlight switch knob) have any effect?

Now the dimmer control feeds it's output, on tan, down TO the instrument fuse in the fuse box. This is the ONLY fuse that works this way. From that fuse, ALL dash dimmer controlled lighting is fed out on ORANGE wiring

Next pull the INST fuse. This is normally located at one end of the fuse box.

If that kills the lights, then you either have a harness "cross," or some modification by you or others in the harness has caused a problem
Thanks very much for the reply I believe that's what happened with the alternator because I took it out and got it tested and it failed every test, got a new 1 and the high charging is gone, before I got it tested I put a multi meter on the back of the alternator and it was reading 18 volts as well directly off the alternator, but the high current issue is fixed now I also put in a new regulator too after that happened

I will have to check all this I can pull the switch in and out and control the park ights and the headlights like normal

The dimmer has no effect, after the 1st time it happened I was able to turn the dial and everything went back to normal for a couple days but now they are back to being stuck on and it has no effect, I will have to go out and try pulling the fuse next thats the only thing I haven't done other then pulling the cluster and inspecting that

Yes we can see the damage. Any time the 'alternator gage' is maxed damage will occur. The only unknown is how much damage and how soon. The gage is showing current. Current is electrons moving. The gage indicates how many electrons moving through it - litterally around the base of the needle causing a magnetic field that moves the needle. Needle fully at C = Battery charging 40 amps (way too much). Needle fully at D = battery discharging 40 amps, also way too much.

Please do not drive the car with the alternator uncontrolled. Alternator producing power around 18 Volt will burn things up, and cook the battery.
You've probably noticed that items provided electricity at higher voltage, will draw more power.
For example, turning on the headlights with the engine off, the lights are dim. This is because they are only getting battery power at 12.5 Volts. When the engine is running, they are getting power from the alternator - approximately 14.5 volts. The bulb draws more current when the voltage is higher.
When voltage is high enough, the bulb will draw so much current it burns out right away.
The battery is similar,except it will cook the acid.

More about battery charging here
[/URL]
Thanks very much for the information I parked the car once this happened I have fixed the high charging already it was the alternator it's self something happened to it and my multimeter was reading 18 volts directly off the alternator it's self, I replaced it and the regulator and that has gone away

Thanks very much for the reply I believe that's what happened with the alternator because I took it out and got it tested and it failed every test, got a new 1 and the high charging is gone, before I got it tested I put a multi meter on the back of the alternator and it was reading 18 volts as well directly off the alternator, but the high current issue is fixed now I also put in a new regulator too after that happened

I will have to check all this I can pull the switch in and out and control the park ights and the headlights like normal

The dimmer has no effect, after the 1st time it happened I was able to turn the dial and everything went back to normal for a couple days but now they are back to being stuck on and it has no effect, I will have to go out and try pulling the fuse next thats the only thing I haven't done other then pulling the cluster and inspecting that
Sounds like it might be in the switch.
Dana has disassembled a switch for repair and posted photos. edit Found it 67 Dart Headlight Switch Demystified
Removing the switch is a bit of a pain.
Need to be able to hold the side button so the shaft with knob will pull out. Then unscrew the nut (there's a tool or you can make do with a snap ring or needle nose pliers. Then unlip the wiring connector.

Last edited:
DASH LIGHTS

Now to your question about the dash lights.

The instrument lights, radio light, and similar options are a branch from the parking and tail light circuit.
That branch occurs inside the headlight switch.

-> Power goes in the B2 terminal and then can split off through the dimmer control.
- > Power then goes out the I terminal to the 3 amp fuse in the fuse box.
-> Power leaves the fusebox on an 18 or 20 gage orange wire(s) going to the instrument & radio lamps.

To figure out why its not turning off, one approach might be to check for power at the 3 amp fuse. If its has voltage, pop the fuse. If the side feeding the lamps still have power - then its a cross wire short. If only the input side has power, then its headliught switch or wire going out of it.

(edit;

Dana has disassembled a switch for repair and posted photos. edit Found ithttps://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/67-dart-headlight-switch-demystified.461540/
Need to be able to hold the side button so the shaft with knob will pull out. Then unscrew the nut (there's a tool or you can make do with a snap ring or needle nose pliers. Then unlip the wiring
Thats what I was kinda afraid of, I have a similar issue with my wiper switch but it's the 3 speed with the washer and I have been having a hard time finding a switch for that 1, I turn the wiper switch and they just go full speed or nothing and they won't turn off till you turn the key off, or sometimes you can turn the key off and they just stop and won't go back to the down position, or when it rains they just randomly turn on by themselves

Bad thing I just put the battery cable back on and started the car and the dash lights are off, it's been intermittent so it will be kinda hard to find the source if it's not acting up, it's been doing it off and on the lights were off for a couple days then i got in the car 1 day and they were stuck on again

Dana has disassembled a switch for repair and posted photos. edit Found it 67 Dart Headlight Switch Demystified
Need to be able to hold the side button so the shaft with knob will pull out. Then unscrew the nut (there's a tool or you can make do with a snap ring or needle nose pliers. Then unlip the wiring connector.
Thanks again for the information everything was normal till I was about to leave the car show and the dash lights were stuck on again, it's just odd that it's so randomly happening tried twisting the nob again no change so once I got home I pulled the fuses and no change, going to get the instrument cluster out again and pull the switch off and check it over along with the wiring next

The simple answer is that if you pull the INST fuse and the lamps stay on, there is a cross in the harness somewhere, OR someone has tried to add something to the ORANGE dash lighting and is backfeeding power into them. Look around your added gauges, tach, etc.

The simple answer is that if you pull the INST fuse and the lamps stay on, there is a cross in the harness somewhere, OR someone has tried to add something to the ORANGE dash lighting and is backfeeding power into them. Look around your added gauges, tach, etc.
Yep just solved it, not sure what happened but found this in the harness behind the instrument panel, going to see how deep it gets and start repairing it

20240705_200141.jpg

20240705_200247.jpg

20240705_200421.jpg

20240705_200520.jpg

20240705_204535.jpg

20240705_204538.jpg

Last edited:
Those can be a mess. I recommend you spend the time to pull that section out and inspect it. Work? You bet. Remember, these originally were installed or replaced with NO cutting. You may not need to pull it ALL out. Pull some out and if you see the "melt" becoming less, try to identify the affected harness colors and purpose by following them to the branch connector. AKA is it the radio, etc. You can tap/ tie/ zip tie unwrapped branches to keep them in proper location. Once you get back to "goo" wire and are convinced there "is no more" further along, then you can splice/ repair / replace wires, etc.

Try to note what you have done so you have some idea as to the cause. AKA let's say there was some sort of short internally in the headlight switch or some such. It would be a shame to repair all that and get a "repeat."

Those can be a mess. I recommend you spend the time to pull that section out and inspect it. Work? You bet. Remember, these originally were installed or replaced with NO cutting. You may not need to pull it ALL out. Pull some out and if you see the "melt" becoming less, try to identify the affected harness colors and purpose by following them to the branch connector. AKA is it the radio, etc. You can tap/ tie/ zip tie unwrapped branches to keep them in proper location. Once you get back to "goo" wire and are convinced there "is no more" further along, then you can splice/ repair / replace wires, etc.

Try to note what you have done so you have some idea as to the cause. AKA let's say there was some sort of short internally in the headlight switch or some such. It would be a shame to repair all that and get a "repeat."
Thanks very much for the help!

I went ahead and I tracked the entire circuit end to end and narrowed down the damage it starts at the bulkhead connector and goes all the way just before the fuse box area, just ordered the bulkhead block and the connectors and I'm going to run a new brand new wire from the alternator back, so far i have only seen damage on the dash light circuit and the alternator output circuit, it's defently a mess, thankfully it's not the worst I have seen, im a mechanic but I just wasn't too familiar with how the wiring is done on my dart especially because diagrams are hard to come by, I just had to remake an entire section of harness on a lincoln that got chopped up,

20240705_214643.jpg

20240705_205932.jpg

20240705_204736.jpg

Wiring diagrams are in the service manual(s). '72 may have a Body Manual with additional electrical diagrams. Earlier years everything is in the chassis diagram. www.mymopar.com --> service manuals
The diagrams will show which wires connect to which position in a connector. They are generally accurate although occassional mistakes will be found, and sometimes the exact routing was probably changed when the harness went into production. For example a junction will be mae at a terminal rather than welding a splice.

Alternator output wire.
Some of us have run a second parallel wire to the ammeter. This provides a shorter path for battery charging while keeping the original path to the main splice. A similar arrangement using a wires through a grommet was implemented on cars with rear defrost grids, and another variation on this idea was provided as a 'fleet' option with higher output alternators (and larger batteries too).
Search for those terms and you should turn up at least a few posts showing each of these wiring arrangements.

---
diagram of what I changed on my '67
and a photo Factory ammeter

Last edited:
Have you gone over to MyMopar.com and downloaded the 72 service manual?

-
Back