Dash Pad Recover

-
Yeah I got a quote from Just Dashes for $700. A re-pop would be roughly half if that. Wouldn't be original and I get that.

Avoid "The DashPad Factory" .....in my humble opinion.

Pending how cooked yours is, a sand, fill, and stretch some new material over the top? That will be my strategy.

I should ask my friend who owns a upholstery shop. Finding a good core would be the trick. Or, how to repair a bad core so it could be recovered. Recovered and restored would be 2 different things. (and prices)

I have prepped a few myself ( remove old vinyl, fill and sand with spray foam) and then had a professional upholstery shop recover them. He charged me $150 last time.

I redid mine but wanted a bit of poof so I used and extra 1/4" bit of foam for mine. the other car got no added poof and it skinned really nice,BUT I use my vacuum former to "preheat the vinyl to glue on that pad. poofier look worked for my grandkids head when they tipped into it.

DSCF3592.JPG

Has anybody used the glue over ABS dash pads?

I'll have to disagree with Hemi. I used a glue on dash cap when I first got my Dart twenty years ago. It wasn't a show car, but NO ONE ever said anything derogatory about my dash and I even got a few compliments on how nice it looked. If you open the doors and look closely, you could see that it didn't fully cover the lower corners. But from peaking in the window, it looked great. It was a great alternative to paying $$$.

1714127118989.jpeg

I'll have to disagree with Hemi. I used a glue on dash cap when I first got my Dart twenty years ago. It wasn't a show car, but NO ONE ever said anything derogatory about my dash and I even got a few compliments on how nice it looked. If you open the doors and look closely, you could see that it didn't fully cover the lower corners. But from peaking in the window, it looked great. It was a great alternative to paying $$$.

View attachment 1716241768
I think the key is getting the ABS Plastic version. The regular plastic ones go to pot quickly if not ABS Plastic.

I think the key is getting the ABS Plastic version. The regular plastic ones go to pot quickly if not ABS Plastic.
my boss and I used to put the ABS caps on older porches. now we just send them to just dashes and let them redo it. even the better ABS ones warp in Florida sunlight after a year or so if not correctly installed and then even the ones correctly installed will warp within 3 years. It one of the reasons we switched and went to fully recovered dashes.(it's a $$$ breaker for my early 's though since some of the cars I have cost less that getting a dash done) I just recovered mine for that more padded lookstead of original

View attachment 1716241768
same with me, got one of the ABS dash caps in the mid 90's, still looks good and warp free after almost 30 years

-
Back