Daughters car flooded in storm

-

38 Dodge

Reaction score
Well with all the rain that fell last night in Mobile at South Alabama where my little girl goes to school and her 2013 Nissan was parked in the parking lot on campus flooded last night. Which she lost not only the new car I bought here but she also lost a laptop, school books, and other items in here car. I talked with the campus and they said they are not going to do anything about it. I have full coverage ins on the car but the ins company says they will not cover the contents of the car. So as everyone knows I will loose big time on that.
Sorry for the rant alittle pist at the school with the money I pay they couldn't even let students know the lot was flooding.
If anyone has any ideas or advice I would like the help

Talk to a lawyer. Maybe you can sue the school for not disclosing the lot was prone to flooding. If its a state school you are screwed. Sorry to here this.

38 Dodge,
It is typical that automotive insurance does not cover the contents of your vehicle. If you are a homeowner I would suggest that you contact the company that handles your home owners insurance. Many times they will cover personal belongs that are away from your home.
~Michael

Well what really make me mad is just last week at 0900 in the morning a girl was abducted at gun point raped and the guy stole her car and personnel belongs as she got out off class in the campus parking lot and now there are about 30 + cars flooded cause they would not send someone out to clear the drains.
I am about ready to make my daughter change collages and this is just a sample of issues we have dealt with since she started there

It sucks that she lost material things but if this storm came in fast like it did here and they sent someone out to clear the drains they might have drowned.

I was up all night with the storm it was real bad here also but I have a hard time believing with all the money I spent at that school and the parking lot patrol is real quick to give tickets that they are washing there hands of all this

It was Mother Nature, nothing can be done with her.

As far as content, check your homeowners, it should cover her items in the car.

Hope it all works out, at least your little girl was safe inside and the building didn't get blown away.

Ehhhh......I think your insurance company is fullashit. Comprehensive usually covers anything in or attached to the car, including loss by theft. I say get your policy out and read that joker front to back.

Virginia Tech had flooding last year. They asked the students to move their cars to higher ground, and 90% left them to get completely submerged. If my son had dome that, his next car would be a Huffy.

Here in Canada vehicle insurance does not cover the contents of what's in the vehicle. Stupid as it sounds that falls under our home owner's insurance.

Before approaching the school about the matter. I would read the paper that comes along with signing up for a student parking pass on campus. It will state what they are and are not liable for.

James

Tell her next time do not leave valuables in the car....ie...laptops. Good luck sounds like a mess and of course she'll need new books immediately.

sounds like that you need to reviews the insurance policies that you ( homeowners and car ) and have a lawyer at hand to also handle the school ( they should have posted something to make students and faculty aware of the situation at when it floods )

Well what really make me mad is just last week at 0900 in the morning a girl was abducted at gun point raped and the guy stole her car and personnel belongs as she got out off class in the campus parking lot and now there are about 30 + cars flooded cause they would not send someone out to clear the drains.
I am about ready to make my daughter change collages and this is just a sample of issues we have dealt with since she started there

Yup..I'd be looking for a new school as well...

I don't want to sound like a complete jerk, but...

There is almost certainly a sign posted at the entrance of the lot that states that the school takes no responsibility for anything in the lot. It probably says it again on all the parking permits. Which is irritating, because if folks just assumed that the school wasn't responsible for their stuff the school could use all the money its spends on signs for education.

It's not the school's fault your daughter left her valuables in the car. Regardless of any flooding, that's never a good idea. Only bad things can happen. I've attended a half a dozen different colleges over the years, from JC's all the way up to UCLA, and I wouldn't have left anything I didn't want stolen in my car in any of those parking lots.

If the entire lot flooded deep enough for the inside of the car and all of those items to be ruined, it probably wasn't just a blocked drain issue. And, having seen those storms on the news, I wouldn't have sent anyone out to clear drains. It's just stuff, and not worth risking anyone's life. Also, that may have been why the school didn't tell anyone the lot was flooding, even if they DID know it was happening. What happens if they announce the lot is flooding? Dozens of students race out into the middle of a nasty storm, to a flooding lot, to move their cars. Yeah, it sucks to lose material things, but that's why there's insurance. Some kid goes out to move his/her car and drowns, gets hit by a tree, whatever, and suddenly its a much bigger deal. Be thankful your daughter is safe, more than a few people died in those same exact storms.

And definitely check your homeowner's policy, or your daughter's renter's policy if she has one. They usually will cover items like that, although flooding is a whole special clause in a lot of policies.

Truly sorry to hear about your troubles, hopefully you can find a way to get that stuff replaced. But, at the end of it, it is just stuff, and it could have been a lot worse.

Rusty Rat Rod has a point. Check over your policy.
You said you have full coverage on the car. the comprehensive portion should cover
the loss of items in the car. But it may only mean theft of items.
It may be in the way they word it.

Oh I hear you all about the stuff I already crewed her but for the stuff in the car laptop and other items the car will be replaced I'm just upset as I just paid the dang car off last month now back to a car note. Her books and all not that worried about as she has finals next week so she will be dealing with getting notes and all her issue not mine. I guess I'm ole school if I take money from you I will do what I can to protect your property. There is no sign and I found out that the school knows the parking lot floods all the time no signs are posted and that is where the freshman dorms are so you have new kids parking where they are told to park but they fail to tell the kids buy the way the lot you are assigned to park in floods. So either get a wet car or a parking ticket for being parked where you are told to park. But they have some really goffey parking policies I have been reading up on them. You can only park in certain lots on certain days at certain times. O matter what time you have class if it is not your turn to park you have to park only in the lot you are allowed to at that time.
So long story short I'm mad at my Daughter as well as the school I feel they misrepresented them selfs by knowing and not informing the students and parents of the lot issues.
Anyway waiting for the insurance company to see what happens next

-
Back