David Vizard, Uncle Tony's garage, Unity motorsport. Mission impossible Dodge 302 Head porting

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
People build flat head 4,6,and 8 engines still that can't break 250hp! It doesn't matter what you're building as long as enjoy doing it.
That's the cool factor, there's nothing cool about hoping up a 2bbl 318.
Cool was my friend dressing his 318/3pd Demon with the top end and cam from a blown up 340 in 1978.

I remember quite a few of you guy's saying on other post "It's your car do what you want" well it's their engine they can do what they want.

So don't use what you got?
I'm not the guy to answer that question, I scrapped 360's in the late 70's early 80's. lol
It wasn't until the late 90's when I found they had some use.

People build flat head 4,6,and 8 engines still that can't break 250hp! It doesn't matter what you're building as long as you enjoy doing it.
That's comparing apples and oranges, the UT guys are not building something for originality, big difference, it's like the UT guys are building for some weird class rules that don't exist. If you like it then just say so but your arguments to justify it are a little weak. Like I said imagine the donation money they could have raised by doing a hemi or the cheap power they could have made with some speed master heads and a 318. There were more legitimate ways to do this that don't scream you tube.

Last edited:
I remember quite a few of you guy's saying on other post "It's your car do what you want" well it's their engine they can do what they want.
Nothing they are doing in this build is offensive to me. I will enjoy seeing the outcome. It's just a "lets see what happens" build. I wouldn't watch if it made me disgusted.

That's comparing apples and oranges, their not building something for originality, big difference, UT and the guys are building for some weird class rules that don't exist. If you like it then just say so but your arguments to justify it are a little weak. Like I said imagine the donation money they could have raised by doing a hemi or the cheap power they could have made with some speed master heads and a 318. There were more legitimate ways to do this that don't scream you tube.
i like youtube. If find a lot of entertainment on it :)

Agree 1000%, but it's like the guys that watch reality tv and think it's real, I learned pretty quick when it comes to anything UT its a show baby.
to me, youtube is like coffee shop talk. If a guy treats his health or his car from a "got if from youtube", then he cannot complain about the results he gets. If a guy wants professional advice, go hire a professional. Other than that, it's use at your own risk.

Like I said imagine the donation money they could have raised by doing a hemi or the cheap power they could have made with some speed master heads and a 318.
But it was stated in this very thread that a 318 can't be a performance engine, must be true if someone wrote it on the internet right?
I will agree that they should have done a hemi though.
20211102_173749.jpg

Nothing they are doing in this build is offensive to me. I will enjoy seeing the outcome. It's just a "lets see what happens" build. I wouldn't watch if it made me disgusted.
You will probably like @Rat Bastid 's latest 318 build for a buddy. He had a rebuilt .030 stock 318 with low miles laying around (the 340 in the video replaced it) so on went some untouched speed master heads with .028 head gaskets, a cam I had laying around that I spec'd for a low compression 340 (howards hydraulic flat tappet 230/236 @.050 106 lobe separation .531/.547 lift) and a strip dominator on top. Going in a dart sport with hedman hustlers, 4.56 gears and 275/60/15 mt et street drag radials, oh and a 100 shot. We couldn't talk him into waiting to dyno it but there will be time slips coming.

You will probably like @Rat Bastid 's latest 318 build for a buddy. He had a rebuilt .030 stock 318 with low miles laying around (the 340 in the video replaced it) so on went some untouched speed master heads with .028 head gaskets, a cam I had laying around that I spec'd for a low compression 340 (howards hydraulic flat tappet 230/236 @.050 106 lobe separation .531/.547 lift) and a strip dominator on top. Going in a dart sport with hedman hustlers, 4.56 gears and 275/60/15 mt et street drag radials, oh and a 100 shot. We couldn't talk him into waiting to dyno it but there will be time slips coming.
Sounds interesting!

But it was stated in this very thread that a 318 can't be a performance engine, must be true if someone wrote it on the internet right?
I will agree that they should have done a hemi though.
View attachment 1716027202
I can make as much power from a 318 as the block will handle, I'm sure you would agree an engine doesn't know it's name. The bigger question to me is does it make sense given the application

I can make as much power from a 318 as the block will handle, I'm sure you would agree an engine doesn't know it's name. The bigger question to me is does it make sense?
No, not really. I wouldn't be limiting it with the parts they chose, and I imagine their 2bbl bbd "mods" might blow out to include an extra 2 barrels of carburettor considering how much it has changed from the original plan.
Some people enjoy the challenge though.

Anyone else remember Tony's unfinished "Hemi on a Budget" series in one of the Mopar rags, circa 1989-90? He was using a former Top Fuel block with badly-split main saddles and a crankshaft with a surface that looked like BB-gun-tested tempered glass--riddled with cracks. "For street use, it'll be fine." He's been full of silly ideas for decades.

Shortly after whichever rag employed him at the time ceased to do so, a reader's letter to the editor asked, "What ever happened to Tony DeFeo?"
The editor responded, "Tony DeFeo is wondering the same thing."
Classic.

YouTube seems to have finally provided his niche. Whether you love the clickbait or it drives you insane, you're puttin' food on the man's table at no cost to you. I may not agree with some of his ideas or suggestions, but he seems like an alright guy. You might be ridiculing him, but he's just happy you watched the video... and that you're generating even more views by publicizing it online via the discussion. A view's a view, whichever way the thumb goes.

Fun isn't it. I'm not sure how far they will allow themselves to go on the bbd 2 barrel but to me that seems like the cork on the bottle. This is a picture of a rochester 2g and a motorcraft 2150 that I used to run back when we had to run a "stock " carburetor.

View attachment 1716025238

View attachment 1716025239

View attachment 1716025240

View attachment 1716025242
For the love of all FABO and the rest of us Mopar Zombies that watch the UT/DV Mopar drama with Lunar's leakin' 318...FOR THE LOVE OF ALL PLEASE SEND THAT TWO BARREL TO DAVID VIZARD.
I don't care about all of the hypocrisy, inefficiency, idiocrasy... I wanna see their CONglomeration run WITH THAT CARB!!! PLEASE brother please!!

That thing looks awesome for a two barrel. Throw that flyin' cat into the mix!!!!! You'd give them at least 20 plus HP!

I don't care how dumb they are, too much. Even if they fall off the tracks like little engine Tootle from the Little Golden books, I do want to see some semblance of success from these Bozos. I want all of us Mopar nuts to succeed, even the assholes.

I don't appreciate what I was led to believe would be a 'Stockish parts Rebuild" going into left field with Icon piston this and "Ewww I found 15 titanium retainers in the back of a drawer! guess what recipicating weight we will lose!" nonsense and then blame it on Saint Judes bs, but hell I sure as hell couldn't cast the first stone either. And those bozos are fronting the bill so let them be stupid and silly or whatever, 'Murica!
shopping
Nd9GcQiLudpr78HB9757Xxpyy2iurKDx1jC5ClLFw&usqp=CAU.jpg

1672194929920.jpeg
Sometimes we watch train wrecks, often I am the conductor, sometimes we warn others. As long as no one is getting hurt or ripped off, no big deal. I can see why someone would want others to not be mislead astray, but it would be better to take the debate to another thread to argue.

We have already talked about (post 419) which mopar 2 barrel intake manifold they might be running.

What about which stock 2 barrel carb (with mods) they will choose to run.

Screenshot_20221227-210141_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221227-210306_Gallery.jpg

I would choose to run the mopar carb on the left to make the power.

The mopar 318 stock 2 bbl carb on the right is an economy carb and it's going to take some mods to bring it up to task.

Big difference between these 2 carbs right here.

Let's see what they come up with to give the 302 headed 318 enough fuel to rise to the occasion.

I will answer why, YOUTUBE and all the clicks it will bring that's why. You guys that think this is some technical/breaking of new ground need to build a few more 318s, this is for you tube popularity.
What wrong with that? When you post on this site aren't expecting people to view it ?
It's probably to help DV and Charles to build up their youtube channels I don't see anything wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back