Demon, Stock or not?

-

HAUK67

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 71 demon, solid car and original paint and I am un sure what way to go with it. It is a basic slant 6 auto bench seat no ac car, but solid and only 74,000 original miles and original paint. I just bought alot of parts to start a basic resto, gas tank, gas and brake lines, sending unit, master cylinder, wheels cylinders, pads and so on. My question is should I keep it a stock 6 or throw a v-8 in it.? I also am going to put steel wheels and dog dishes, the car is white and my thought is repaint it white with 340 stripes, whites steel wheels, and dual exhaust on a slant 6? What would you do?.v-8 or 6 with the look of a 340..Looking for feed back..

I think everyone here knows what I'd do BB IT.8)

Mine started out as a /6 Demon but it's feeling much better now.:-D

it depends. if the car is all origional, i would do something that would be easy to change back like turbo the /6 or something however if it isnt origional go with a v-8 either way sounds good to me. post some pics of your deamon

Always loved the look of your car demon seed...I am guessing yours has a big block in it? I would post a few pictures but not sure how..I will have my son do a few this weekend..

Are those the only choices? :-D Because other than a possible color change to F8 (not into white cars), I'd just install the parts you mentioned and drive the hell out of it for the next ten or twenty years.

I just got a 1970 Duster, from the nephew of the original owner, so I'm in a similar spot as you. The car is in pretty good shape, but does need some work including rust repair and a paint job, and I've been putting some thought into what direction to head in. I've decided that for the time being it will be kept somewhat original, I will keep the slant six, but I do want to change the color and give it 1970 correct 340 stripes, and someday probably change to large bolt pattern wheels too.

If the car was high mileage with more wear and tear and not from the original owner I would be more inclined to do a V-8 swap and maybe give it later style graphics. But since I got it in the condition it's in from the person I got it from I feel compelled to keep it closer to its roots.

I wouldn't worry about changing it over to a V8.

Realistically, it will be worth more as a V8 Demon than it would be as an original /6 Demon. Besides, at this point with all the conversion engine mounts available, its basically a bolt in operation anyway. If you really want to be able to put it back to stock, just store the /6 somewhere it won't lock up and have fun with your V8 Demon! 8)

Depends on the $$$ and your intended usage.I have a 71 Demon that was a slant and made in into a 340 with a tremec 5 speed and I love it.I also have a 74 scamp with a slant six with header - 4 barrel carb and a 4 speed with overdrive tranny and I also love to drive it.I would put my money into the things you see first (body -paint - interior - suspension etc) toss the front drums and put some later model disc on the front.White with steel wheels would be neat I would add the MATTE black 340 stripes and hood scoops with the proper blackout on the hood.There is alot of things to do and $$$ spent for a V8 swap

its your car. do it how you want. me i would love to see a 440 in it.
abodyjoe, I am trying to get Moe to put a v-8 in this thing.He said he will...He is going to be working on it for me and I have collected alot of stuff for it..Will send Pictures when the build begins..

We all know what I would do :happy10: Get the slant running good and keep it a driver while you do your up grades :cheers: then slowly move forward to your own plans 8)8)
I am keeping my low deck 170 / in while I get other things dun :read2:
Who know's what I will do to her later in life, But for know I am staying with the leaning tower of power :happy10:

Here is my first time to move here out with everything instaled
Running Dual's that waggin built :cheers:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JInsZEHyig"]YouTube- 41120010HolleyNEW!! 003.avi[/ame]

memikeleanne (Custom) (2).jpg

41120010HolleyNEW!! 030.jpg

You gotta decide what you want. A /6 wheezzer put putting around town all OE stock restored or a street machine?

Mike, car looks great..You have done alot over the the little time you have had your car..I think I am going to roll along with doing the car over interior, paint and so on and then maybe a swap a motor..? I am going to stick with white, not to many white demons, black stripes and white steel wheels..Thanks to a member here I got 4 wheels coming...I just put 4 steel wheels on the dart conv, looking good.. Still neeed a dash pad for the demon, anyone??

my vite, SB it! haha. im a huge sb fan for abodies though, feels like (imho) bb are for B and E bodies. or atleast, i wouldnt want a BB in my abody...but im making mine a "goodgas mileage" street beast (360/904 in a /6 70 dart) and i know "wupdeedoo never seen that before! but i havent!

just my 2 cents

My feelings are that a /6 car makes the perfect platform for individualizing it for your personal tastes. Build it the way you would have bought it in 1971 if you could had the opportunity. And upgrade it like you would have if you've owned it since then :)

Grant

My feelings are that a /6 car makes the perfect platform for individualizing it for your personal tastes. Build it the way you would have bought it in 1971 if you could had the opportunity. And upgrade it like you would have if you've owned it since then :)

Grant

I did order one new in 71 340 bench seat automatic on column 391 gears
Built my present 71 340 - 5 speed - 355 gears - bucket seats.Your correct personal taste get ideas then do it your way.I have pictures of mine member photo gallery 1971 dodge demon search in description only user name dodge71demon

Mike, car looks great..You have done alot over the the little time you have had your car..I think I am going to roll along with doing the car over interior, paint and so on and then maybe a swap a motor..? I am going to stick with white, not to many white demons, black stripes and white steel wheels..Thanks to a member here I got 4 wheels coming...I just put 4 steel wheels on the dart conv, looking good.. Still neeed a dash pad for the demon, anyone??

Thank you HAUK67, I thought I was moving along at a slow pace :toothy10:
I think this will be the third year :read2:
I myself like white car's :cheers: They stay cool and if there is any body work to be dun it's hard to see a small flaw. Remember the old saying
Do it right and paint it white :cheers:

Build a Small block stroker!!! An RMS front end, and street linx rear. Tie the frames, mini tub it, put a 4 speed in it, 8 3/4 with a 3.55 sure grip. -OR- build a low deck 470 stroker!!

Let's get crazy with it! Drop in a Viper V-10 and add twin turbos. Aw hell, let's swap the Viper suspension under it too! That'll get the tongues waggin' at the local burger joint. You don't mind taking out a second mortgage, do you???

Wylde1.

-
Back